WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pot cozy

Default pot cozy

So what's the best material to make a pot cozy from ?

Default reflectex

I make mine with Reflectex (sp?). It's basically bubble wrap with reflective Mylar on each side. You can buy rolls of it at Home Depot. Buy some aluminum foil tape (HVAC section) and you are set! Easy stuff to work with.

Images

+1 on reflectex . You can also make an insulated envelope coozie if you freezer bag cook.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Reflextex is great insulation for cozys & a good UL option. But, it's somewhat fragile, so longevity comes into play. That, and the fact that the smallest roll at my local Lowes or Home Depot costs $48. I made one some time ago from a pc of 1/4" Wally World CCF pad. It has a fixed bottom & hinged (Gorilla Tape) lid. All 3 pcs are held with the Gorilla tape. I've used & abused this thing for almost 3 years now & other than being soot smudged, it is still in great shape. It fits my pot like a custom glove & I can use it for freezer bag cooking, when I want/need to. I also use it as a collection vessel when foraging wild edibles. So, to recap....CCF has a small weight penalty....but, for me, more than makes up with it's durability/longevity, multiple use function & cost savings. YMMV
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

I made one like this quite some time ago but have since then changed my system. It worked and I'm sure still will real good. http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/6582...king-pot-cozy/
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

You can buy a reflectix windshield blind for a few $, and have enough reflectix for 2 or 3 cozies.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    You can buy a reflectix windshield blind for a few $, and have enough reflectix for 2 or 3 cozies.
    +1. Worked for me.

I had my eye on the windshield blind, but had not thought of the Aluminum tape.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I made one like this quite some time ago but have since then changed my system. It worked and I'm sure still will real good. http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/6582...king-pot-cozy/
    I made one of these as well, but have yet to test it. I used metal tape instead of Duck tape.

I just use my Fleece Beenie.

As a plus, the windshield blind has a nice sewn edge for the top of the cozy.

I too make mine with the windshield thingies but not a fan of the aluminum tape, though it looks nice, it just doesn't seem to hold up as well.

...as duct tape

I've used a dish towel.

Default Reflectex

I had to buy a roll of the Reflectex because my wife got mad when I used her windshield sun shade for my first attempt at pot cozies. Bought her a new one when I picked up my cozy supplies. Happy wife, happy life and no bodily injuries!!!!

I used some "chrome" colored duct tape I bought at Walmart. I also incorporated the finished edge of the windshield shade on my cozy. It looks and works great!

Default pot cozy

For about $10 each plus shipping, I am the proud owner of 2 antigravityGear.com cozies, that are the perfect fit to my pots. Even comes with handle cut outs, and an extra cozy for my cup. Highly recommended. I would have spent this much on the gas and materials! Thanks, George!
    Curious George

$48 for a roll of reflextic? WOW...I paid like $19.99 at my Lowe's....enough to make probably 100 of them. I think is is 2 feet by like 25 feet.
    I had some foil/chrome tape for working on when I was building, so that didn't cost anything.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

I used a windshield sun shade from a dollar store and some metal tape that I already had to make a 2 piece cozy.
    One piece covers the body of the pot, a K-mart grease pot, up to just below the rim, and the second piece covers the lid and overlaps the main part by about an inch.
    It works good and the tape is lasting fine

I initially bought a reflectix cozy from AntiGravity Gear for my 0.9L Evernew pot. I ended up buying some Reflectix & metal foil tape & made more for my other pots as well as multiple freezer bag cozies (for me & my Boy Scout Venture Crew members). AntiGravity Gear's cozy is much nicer than anything I've made so far. But, mine still work.

As far as longevity, I don't recall when I bought the one from AGG. I've had it a while & use the 0.9L pot on most of my trips. But, it lasted my entire AT thru-hike this year. I've had to replace the hinge tape on the lid a few times. I got an oversize pot stuff sack that fits over the pot/cozy combo which helps it last longer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++