WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Polite way to pass

I am no supper speed hiker, but my natural walking speed is about 4 mph and when I'm trying to knock out a 25+ mile day I tend to mix in some light jogging on trails as well. Overall I average about a 5mph with lunch and everything (don't take many/any breaks). This past weekend I was on a crowded trail with a ton of day hikers out to enjoy the leafs. I was passing them all and one guy I nearly scared half to death as he some how didn't hear me coming even with all the leafs on the ground, a young couple saw me and just decided they would rather have me hike on their heels then let me pass, and another father and son team just didn't seem to care that I wanted to pass even after I asked...

I say hello to everyone I see on the trails, but when approaching from behind its awkward as to when to say hello without scaring the crap out of someone. My wife suggested to do like bikers do and say "passing on your left" or something like that, but there's not really room to pass on the left on most sections of trails. If I could I would, but most of the time I need them to stop and pull over so I can get by.

How does everyone else handle this? I know I got more than a few comments just for walking fast thrown my way after passing, but I don't really care about that. But at the same time I want to be as polite as possible to other hikers and prefer not to scare the crap out of them.

Saying "passing on your left" does scare people; I end up just passing without saying anything, just sway out into the lane and pass. However, not an option on the trail, so I wouldn't worry if you scare them by simply speaking, whatever you speak.

A lot of people hate being passed, no matte how polite you are; I guess it's just an ego thing. I wouldn't overly concern myself, since the problem is with them.

I try to cough loudly about 20-30 ft before I reach them, to let them know that I am their, then I say excuse me but can I pass you guys, then they step out of the trail and let me pass, I don't use trekking poles that's why I do it this way, but if you use poles they should be able to hear them clanking on the ground, then you just say excuse me, but if you don't do any thing cough, whistle, or some thing else, it could scare them and it could cause them to fall and get hurt.

I'm an expert at being passed.

I like it when the faster hiker says something as simple as "hiker" when they are still well behind me. I know I'm gonna get surprised from time to time and that's fine. Just announcing your presence is easier on my heart. I'll pull over at the first reasonable opportunity. If the trail is tight that might not be for a minute or so. Usually I will pull over immediately when I sense you behind me without you having to ask.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'm not as fast as I once was, and I was never as fast as you, but I do tend to pass people during the day. I go with the subtle cough or clicking trekking poles to announce my presence, ideally 20-30 yards behind. If they don't acknowledge in some way (some folks hike with earbuds in) then I may scuffle my feet as I catch up with them or call out a hearty "Good Morning!". If it isn't convenient to pass, I may chat a bit as I'm right behind them and then ask if I can pass as I have a big day ahead of me.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I have never passed anyone since I hike so slow, but people come up behind me, I appreciate a little warning, say 10-20 feet before they catch me, and I always pull over to let people pass. I can't imagine not being polite to someone faster than I, and vice versa.

The trail is open to everyone, even inconsiderate, rude, impolite people. If you pass my slow rear at that speed I will pull out a flag and wave you on. And that shelter 10 miles on the trail will have one less to fill it, even though I would miss talking to someone who can cover that much trail. Halloween is just a short time away where it is expected to scare the heck out of someone and most people love it. Say something nice when passed by another hiker, maybe they will stop for a minute and you can make a new friend.
    And WOW, you will finish weeks before I do. Rolls Kanardly

Tap em on the right shoulder, skin on by on the left.

My rule of thumb- never sneak up on anyone.
    Unless they are carefully traversing a narrow ledge with a 1000' fall (or other life threatening situation)- shout out early. I go with a "Well hey there!" or something friendly. I used to yell on your left, but found that to came out harshly on accident which left scowls on the faces of those I passed and find forcing my self to say something friendly forces my tone to stay friendly. I used to just pass, or rely on them hearing me but more than a few times I found I startled folks as I was right next to them; a bad plan for all involved.

Shout out a good twenty feet or more, nobody likes to be surprised when you are in close proximity. People jump, swing sticks or poles, or even freak out. We've all been daydreaming in the woods- assume they are too. You will startle them regardless, better for all involved if you are a safe distance from them, not whispering "Hello Clarice" in their ear from two feet away.

Shouting out early also lets them stop, exchange a few hello's, nice day, great day for a hike, and other friendly banter before you pass; all reducing some of the "That ******* is in too big a rush even to say hi" response.

So- Say hi 20-40 feet away, exchange a few pleasantries, and proceed with ease. For big crowds or youth groups; well sometimes life's tough and you'll have to share.

Images

I usually will start clinking my trekking poles on rocks as soon as I see a hiker ahead. There is almost no way to keep from startling hikers on occasion because even the trekking pole trick will scare a few folks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill:1805267
    My rule of thumb- never sneak up on anyone.
    Unless they are carefully traversing a narrow ledge with a 1000' fall (or other life threatening situation)- shout out early. I go with a "Well hey there!" or something friendly. I used to yell on your left, but found that to came out harshly on accident which left scowls on the faces of those I passed and find forcing my self to say something friendly forces my tone to stay friendly. I used to just pass, or rely on them hearing me but more than a few times I found I startled folks as I was right next to them; a bad plan for all involved.

Shout out a good twenty feet or more, nobody likes to be surprised when you are in close proximity. People jump, swing sticks or poles, or even freak out. We've all been daydreaming in the woods- assume they are too. You will startle them regardless, better for all involved if you are a safe distance from them, not whispering "Hello Clarice" in their ear from two feet away.

Shouting out early also lets them stop, exchange a few hello's, nice day, great day for a hike, and other friendly banter before you pass; all reducing some of the "That ******* is in too big a rush even to say hi" response.

So- Say hi 20-40 feet away, exchange a few pleasantries, and proceed with ease. For big crowds or youth groups; well sometimes life's tough and you'll have to share.
    like. .

There are lots of oblivious people out there, and some may also be the same ones you find on the highway squatting in the passing lane for miles. Dues-paying members of the Anti-Destination League.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Thanks for all the tips. I guess I'll just start calling out earlier. When in more remote areas I defiantly do that more and have a longer interaction with people on the trail. The section I was on this past weekend is no more than 20 miles from a major city and like I said just tons of day hikers out to see the leafs who wanted no part of me or a conversation.

Etiquette (and lack thereof) goes both ways. I've been passes by people who are very put out that I didn't get over fast enough and they had to break their stride. Most of the time it's not an issue.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Another expert at being passed

I've done 866 miles on the Trail and I have NEVER passed anyone -- EVER. Plain and simple, I'm too slow.
    In other words, I also know a lot about being passed.

If you're behind me and I'm not moving over because I'm concentrating on the trail ahead (or any of 100 other things I think about while on the Trail) instead of the trail behind, simply say something like, "Coming behind you", preferably about 10 to 20 feet behind me. I do prefer that you NOT wait till you're within five feet before you get my attention, as it startles me. However, no matter when or how I detect your presence; I'll look back, see you coming, and pull over as soon as practical -- which generally means right away.

BTW, here's what you'll see from my back:
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=49881
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 10-16-2013 at 11:15. Reason: Minor grammar changes

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    "Hello Clarice"
    Dude, that is funny!
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    There are lots of oblivious people out there, and some may also be the same ones you find on the highway squatting in the passing lane for miles. Dues-paying members of the Anti-Destination League.
    While politely passing all the posts in this thread I just had to stop and say thanks to old grouse for introducing me to the phrase 'anti destination league'...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    like. .
    Of course! :>)

I don't ever scare anyone that I come up on... that's impossible for me. I talk and laugh with my hiking partner the whole time I'm hiking. Hikers have told me, they can hear me coming from a distance away ( "ahh... I know who that is"...

Other hikers, on the other hand, have scared the bejeebers out of me. After my heart stops pounding, we/I usually laugh about it. I love seeing other hikers out on the trail.... Well hey there! Not so sure the feeling is mutual sometimes but 2 each his own.

Just say, "excuse me," it's polite and everyone will know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    You will startle them regardless, better for all involved if you are a safe distance from them, not whispering "Hello Clarice" in their ear from two feet away.
    Oh, man...you just ruined all the fun!
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++