WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

JB, you are hilarious. Thanks for posting this! I'll donate once I get paid tomorrow I'm happy to with all the thread digging I've done here.

Images

Done, money well spent. :-)
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Hello all-
    Not sure if you caught the little blurb on the home page- but WhiteBlaze needs a new server. While the fine operator of this site is too kind to solicit donations at any time, let alone when he actually needs them, I have no shame and no problem doing so.

This is a free site, and unlike NPR, you won't get bombarded with membership drives or frequent thread interuptions begging you to buy Yo-Yo- Mah's complete series of special concerts with homeless street musicians just so you can finish watching Nova. Not only that, but it is highly likely you have learned at least one thing that has made your life better or at the very least saved $5.

So kick in a fiver. My yapping and yammering has to have taken up at least four times the server space of your average WB member- so I sent in $20. All you need to send is five. Click on the home tab, and there is a place right there to do it.

I'm a firm believer in putting your money where your mouth is- and most of your mouths are here. Kick a little in the kitty so we can all continue to hear Lone Wolf diligently work to build the self esteem of hikers everywhere.

For all you fine folks in Lurkerville- join up- yes we bite, but if you don't join you can't bite back- and what's the fun in that. Nobody likes to be dinner.

So, while they wouldn't bug you to pony up your dough- I got no shame. Pay up!

Thanks to all for making this a great site- say thankya back by helping to keep it running.

Just Bill
    I feel like mentioning that the one thing that caused more people to become donating members over the last year than anything else was closed for pi## poor reasons....

Sorry, I'm not planning on donating a second time around. This site has become a lot less interesting to me personally over the last couple of months.
    Last edited by Train Wreck; 10-17-2013 at 14:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Sorry, I'm not planning in donating a second time around. This site has become a lot less interesting to me personally over the last couple of months.
    I agree but you gotta admit it was fun while it lasted!! TW.. you are the best when it comes to humor. Ur posting skills are amazing!! Thanks for all the laughs!!

I donated. I visit two blogs almost daily. Whiteblaze & one about investing & personal finance - http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php. Obviously, I don't visit either when I'm hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I saw this when ATTroll first posted, and immediately went to increase my donation amount. I stopped short though when I became concerned about the annual "re-up" of the donation.

MODERATOR: If I redonate, do you hit me twice a year for the full donation amount or can this be a one-time thing? Explain the details please and I'll be happy to contribute to the new server!
    Donation periods simply expire, there is absolutely no automatic subscription. If you donate at the same level, your subscription period is extended a year beyond the original expiration. If you move up a level, it does not extend, the software does not handle the change and simply gives a year. If you have moved up a donation level, shoot me a PM or ATTroll a PM and we can extend your new level for the time left on your previous one.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    I feel like mentioning that the one thing that caused more people to become donating members over the last year than anything else was closed for pi## poor reasons....
    No it was moved here. Up, running, and apparently talking about toast and jelly. Sorry we are not going to keep going round and round about the move.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Just donated. This site has been SO helpful! My male hiking buddies are now oooing and ahhhhing over my gear choices and camping tricks.

Well, I may never actually do a thru, but I've done day hikes on the AT, and before I ever did that, I learned so very, VERY much here that I was inspired to think about a thru, and got to be a gear-head (might be selling some of that!). So I'm going to send a check (I don't trust paypal - shortly after I signed up there, my cc information was stolen, so a check it is!)

I've decided to pay for what I've already received for free: information from the public that came about because atroll et al built this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    No it was moved here. Up, running, and apparently talking about toast and jelly. Sorry we are not going to keep going round and round about the move.
    You forgot to mention the peanut butter thread and the all important Jambalaya thread.

Oh, and I think the "thermometer" idea is important. I mean really atroll, gotta show us what you want and how we're doin'! I'm a NPR fan and have donated there and knowing how it's going is good.

Maybe you can set up something separate even... one for regular donations and one for the goal of a new server.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Donation periods simply expire, there is absolutely no automatic subscription. If you donate at the same level, your subscription period is extended a year beyond the original expiration. If you move up a level, it does not extend, the software does not handle the change and simply gives a year. If you have moved up a donation level, shoot me a PM or ATTroll a PM and we can extend your new level for the time left on your previous one.
    I just donated again.....but don't worry about extension since I didn't change levels. Thanks for the info though....I thought it was an auto renewal.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Haven't learned much on here, but I've definitely gotten my $25 worth of laughs.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Quote Originally Posted by Poedog View Post
    Haven't learned much on here, but I've definitely gotten my $25 worth of laughs.
    Eggzactly! If whiteblaze was a "very serious" hiking forum it would get 10 posts per day. It's successful in part because of the mixture of good information, idiotic behavior and friendships that develop. Take away one part and it's boring.

Journal Entries

For all you fine folks in Lurkerville- join up- yes we bite, but if you don't join you can't bite back- and what's the fun in that. Nobody likes to be dinner.
    So, while they wouldn't bug you to pony up your dough- I got no shame. Pay up!
    Thanks to all for making this a great site- say thankya back by helping to keep it running.
    Just Bill
    Lurkerville? Way to point the finger at somebody, JB.
    Alrighty then! Made my donation via paypal.
    Now I gotta go hunt for the perfect avatar...

Quote Originally Posted by WolfCBP View Post
    Decided to go Silver when I saw the need. In the short time I have been here, I have learned quite a bit.
    Yep, Me Too.. I have learned a lot here...and when I saw the need, I paid up.

Bumping the thread... donated

Done. Thanks for keeping this valuable resource alive. I have learned a lot and even laughed a little on this site. Thanks to all who contribute by posting, moderating, and maintaining.

See you on the trail.

Bumping the thread again, donating now, and adding a little sunshine HikerMom style.

Normally, I can't play with the emoticons b/c I login from my WB ipad app. Maybe enough donations will get a server and an app upgrade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++