WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    How would you "live on the trail" ?? it still requires money for food, gear replacement, ect.
    I used to think a person might be able to live totally independently on a sailboat. If you had the charts, and knew where there was going to be rain, and where the flying fishes were, you could have fresh water, and fish would just jump in your boat. But then I went sailing for the first time, and got seasick after the first five minutes...and so ended my adventurous life on the high seas!

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    How would you "live on the trail" ?? it still requires money for food, gear replacement, ect.
    You wouldn't. It's like talking about winning the lottery.

Sent from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I used to think a person might be able to live totally independently on a sailboat. If you had the charts, and knew where there was going to be rain, and where the flying fishes were, you could have fresh water, and fish would just jump in your boat. But then I went sailing for the first time, and got seasick after the first five minutes...and so ended my adventurous life on the high seas!
    ^That's funny!!^

Sent from somewhere in the woods.

Could your question be rephrased in another way: how long could you live in the woods on $30 a day?

With the ball-park assumptions that a thru-hiker takes 4.5 months to do the trail, and spends $4,000, this works out to be about $30 a day. (And yes, I know that
    these assumptions are likely not precise, but I give them for the sake of arguement.)

Of course, a thru-hiker is burning lots of calories hiking, and is also stopping in town now and then. But I wonder if it would be that much different for someone living in the woods. Bet a visit to town now and again would be particularly appealing.

I'm sure that one's food could be supplemented from natural sources, but except for setting up a farm, I'd be surprised if one could live off of the land.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I lived on a sailboat for about 10 years. It takes a lot of money, a lot of work, and after a while every beach, island, and tiki bar begins looking the same. It really was wonderful though...

Ive chosen to take that leap,not in going to the trail,but I live like a hermit on a permaculture farm.thing that you cant change are there fact that control is an illusion,you never know it until you touch the breaks to slow down.
    You have a throttle control in your brain use it to slow the life you have down slow enough to be able to focus on the content.
    Now that its slowing toss over board all the ballast that you never use. The ship of your life will begin floating again as it was designed to.

Now that I think about it, I suppose going on trail for a few weeks is like alcohol and drugs...just another way to escape our realities...but only for a short time. I learned a long time ago though that there's no person, place, or thing that can make a person happy....you have to find that within.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    Ive chosen to take that leap,not in going to the trail,but I live like a hermit on a permaculture farm.
    Which farming community? Here's an example of one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuWswXPO-Is

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Now that I think about it, I suppose going on trail for a few weeks is like alcohol and drugs...just another way to escape our realities...but only for a short time. I learned a long time ago though that there's no person, place, or thing that can make a person happy....you have to find that within.
    strange that joy and misery both live inside,its you who decides who to walk around holding hands with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Which farming community? Here's an example of one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuWswXPO-Is
    just a small piece of land that im living on.

just a small piece of land that im living on.
    What size plot of land? How do you generate (and store, if applicable) electricity? What are your sources of food and water? What type shelter?

Well there are already people who do this......there called bums

If you don't have anyone waiting for you then maybe but otherwise it could be really lonely out there. I am usually cured after 2-3 weeks on the trail without resupplying.

Sent from my vivid imagination and delusions of grandeur
    Let me go

What size plot of land? How do you generate (and store, if applicable) electricity? What are your sources of food and water? What type shelter?
    small place just 13 acres,off grid. Im finishing my cabin now,maybe a month of work left.
    electricity is non existent as of yet,but will start that after the cistern is in place. I consider that a luxury item.
    food comes from the front of my house where it is all garden and food forest ,in its beginning stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Well there are already people who do this......there called bums
    Strangly enough ive met all kinds of people in my 50 years,but never a bum.

shelter is 640 sq ft timber frame style.
    the insulation is r 48 walls r 88 in the ceiling.
    the set up is passive solar with a rocket stove back up heat.

Images

Living on the trail, a noble thought. What you are really saying, in my mind, is that you are fed up with the establishment. I get it, me too at times. Sometimes I get out all my gear and play with it, measuring, packing etc. With the full knowledge I am going nowhere. Kind of like an exercise. I notice my Whiteblaze use is mostly in colder weather. I get out more in better weather. Try guided meditation. Go on to youtube, search the word, get your headphones out and take a trip. I am a better person for it. This past weekend I got 30 mins each day to do such an activity. You can do it with your kids in the next room. There is a spiritual answer to your question. And in my opinion it does not involve dropping out of society.

small place just 13 acres,off grid. Im finishing my cabin now,maybe a month of work left.
    electricity is non existent as of yet,but will start that after the cistern is in place. I consider that a luxury item.
    food comes from the front of my house where it is all garden and food forest ,in its beginning stages.
    How do you access the internet if you have no electric power? Don't you find your adventures on the internet in the form of Whiteblaze counter to your lifestyle?

shelter is 640 sq ft timber frame style.
    the insulation is r 48 walls r 88 in the ceiling.
    the set up is passive solar with a rocket stove back up heat.
    Can you load up some pictures?

Can you load up some pictures?
    ill have my son make up a place to put all my videos and pics soon.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++