WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I suspect that Star Child is taking us for a ride.
    Either that or Star Child is on a ride that money can't buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Mountain Edward View Post
    There is plenty of water in Maryland. What is your major malfunction? Hikers helping themselves to water on private property is why the trail was rerouted at Duncannon Pa. There was a hiker knocking on house doors in the vicinity of the 501 shelter this summer. The police were called, came into the shelter and took the dummy away for questioning LOL.
    I'm not sure where you are getting you information, but you are mistaken. My husband and I are the caretakers of the 501 shelter. There was no individual taken into police custody at the 501 shelter this summer. The police did stop by asking if we had seen an individual who had been reported as knocking on doors in the area, but they did not find him at the shelter and we had not seen anyone matching his description. I later spoke with the local police chief while he was up patrolling the area and he indicated that the individual they were seeking was found in Pine Grove that evening. There is no reason to believe that he was a hiker or that he was ever at the 501 shelter.
    --Thimble

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    It's amazing to me how unprepared hikers can be. On a couple of occasions, we are in the middle of a 20 mile day, and some day hiker asks us for water. I think the OP should have planned better and not even considered private residences as options to fill.
    Unfortunately, this does happen sometimes and can happen to the best of us. I was in a real dry spot in PA a few years back and got caught in a sticky situation w/ no water (water source dried up). I did not ask for water but when a day hiker came strolling by and asked my why the long face, he spotted me some from his bladder. ***** happens.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

I'm thirsty now ;P
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    wow. you actually believe this crap you wrote? you got issues
    ++1.......................
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    The law says nothing about breaking in for survival.
    Someone breaks into an occupied house (especially in rural south), it becomes a survival situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Best thread all week.
    WOW- Rasty- good call
    Some of the most nonsensical yum-yum's I've heard in awhile.
    Starchild drops acid and somehow operates a keyboard.- poorly done and clearly crossing the line into fail territory.
    HB sneaks in a lengthy religious discussion without violating any TOS.- well done.
    LW is the clearest and most concise voice of reason, hands down.- Excellent work SIR!

Journal Entries

In Georgia is is unlawful to use deadly force to protect your property. The thought of shooting someone for getting water from a hose is absurd. Also, there are no laws allowing someone to force their way into a residence for a "survival situation." The problem may be in the prosecution of the case when the DA must prove the hikers intent to commit a crime. Lastly, a homeowner may use deadly force in a situation when someone forces their way into a residence and the occupant can prove that he/she had a articulable and reasonable fear for their safety. With that being said one must remember that the lock on my front door is there for your protection, not mine.
    RIAP

WB, you provided me great entertainment tonight with this thread!!!! I can't believe it's even real. I wonder if some people forget that water costs money for homeowners? It's not just 'free water for anyone'. And going onto someone's private property?? My goodness... no wonder some people are hesitant about thru hikers.

Getting out and hiking can certainly inspire people to go outside their comfort zones, but claiming privilege? I mean, we don't HAVE to go hiking and camping. We aren't conquering something that was put in our way. We are choosing to put obstacles in our way and go conquer them for fun and to see what we are made of in that manner. It's pretty much the epitome of the 1st world problem memes...wait let me find one. :P

treadmill.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    I'm thirsty now ;P
    I'm buying the first round. Rum and coke? I mean....... whiskey and water?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

entitlement.......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29VsG35DQM

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I do know that if a person actually killed a thru hiker that was only there because of a desperate need for water that person who killed the thru hiker would be in a worse position then the thru hiker.
    Umm...the thru hiker would be dead in this scenario. Not a very good position if you ask me.

Images

Which came first ... the chicken or the egg?

whichcamefirst_fullpic_artwork.jpg
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe just maybe we're having a debate about the effects of saving weight by not hauling enough water and making other planning mistakes. But common sense and basic manners and respect can go along way.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    The AT was originally envisioned by Benton Mackaye to be a series of work and farming camps. At the time, the thought that someone would ever walk it end to end was never even entertained.
    Benton MacKaye didn't build the AT. Myron Avery walked end to end in the first two years of completion. And since it's continually connected trail, it was only a matter of time before one would hike end to end in a single season.

I often wonder just how the good ol' interweb has impacted the trail. The viral spread of information is great for the hikers,but you have to wonder if the "locals" have gotten more than they ever considered by just being nice. If I gave a hiker a coke, or a place to camp in the backyard, then they posted it on the interweb, and shortly after hikers just started showing up, I might would have to say "can't help you." I really have no opinion on the OP activity just thought I would throw another loop in this roller coaster thread.

Another thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned.....keep in mind what most thru-hikers look like to the non-hiker. If someone that looks like Charles Manson's nephew is seen on the property of a rural resident, and is further seen knocking on the door, getting no answer, and then walking around back, well to anyone who sees this, they have no idea that the poor SOB is merely looking for a spigot. Whether down South or up North, this is a good way to ask for serious trouble. Unless it's a life and death emergency, going on to what is obviously private property and helping yourself to whatever you need......even if it's only water.......is a lousy idea. Oh, and while it's nice to speculate on which state residents are permitted to use deadly force when they feel threatened or endangered, this argument becomes rather moot once one manages to get shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Another thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned.....keep in mind what most thru-hikers look like to the non-hiker. If someone that looks like Charles Manson's nephew is seen on the property of a rural resident, and is further seen knocking on the door, getting no answer, and then walking around back, well to anyone who sees this, they have no idea that the poor SOB is merely looking for a spigot. Whether down South or up North, this is a good way to ask for serious trouble. Unless it's a life and death emergency, going on to what is obviously private property and helping yourself to whatever you need......even if it's only water.......is a lousy idea. Oh, and while it's nice to speculate on which state residents are permitted to use deadly force when they feel threatened or endangered, this argument becomes rather moot once one manages to get shot.
    Agreed. Laws don't mean much if someone has the means to use deadly force and feels threatened.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Don't go there.

While hiking I aim to be as self-sufficient as I can and not impose on strangers.

I only trespassed one time. I spotted a Hollyhock bush in a front yard and stopped to take a picture of it (hadn't seen one in forty forevers) felt guilty afterward.

cvt
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++