WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thanks!!!!!

Default Thanks!!!!!

I want to give a ginormous humungous loud shout out to the poster formally known as hikermom. Not only did she show me some sweet southern hospitality but, she is currently bailing me out of some serious hot water!!!!!
    Thanks!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

She's the best! Are you hanging out at her place with Buddy and family?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gadget View Post
    I want to give a ginormous humungous loud shout out to the poster formally known as hikermom. Not only did she show me some sweet southern hospitality but, she is currently bailing me out of some serious hot water!!!!!
    Thanks!
    I wouldn't expect anything less from her. Good woman.
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; 10-16-2013 at 16:05.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

While we are at it, huge thanks to Deer Hunter for bailing us out this weekend also.

Journal Entries
    Images

What happened that you guys had to be "bailed out"?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

First she picked me up last night a drove around and kept me company while I had dinner. Then this afternoon when I realized, after 1.5 hours of hiking, that I had lost some important equipment, she retrieved it and drove to me! If not for her I would have had to spent another night in town! Yes, truly a generous and exceptional kind person!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Yep, that's MOM

Journal Entries
    Images

I cant imagine why anyone would have a issue - she is priceless and won me over.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I cant imagine why anyone would have a issue - she is priceless and won me over.
    who said they had an issue?

Journal Entries
    Images

Seriously?

I vowed a long time ago not to get involved in the social drama that can be so prevalent in the threads, but that doesn't mean I don't see it. HikerMom has been subject to WAY TOO MANY personal attacks for you to not have noticed. Those who have chosen to pounce at her first utterances with derisive remarks and obvious contempt must have an issue...or why do it? She doesn't attack, she doesn't instigate. All I have ever seen was her trying to keep a positive spin on any and all subjects for the sake of making others feel welcome and encouraged. Naive? Maybe, but the intent has always been genuine. She hasn't deserved what she's gotten in return for her effort.

Yeah, some have issues....and apparently so do I, but mine are in her favor.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    who said they had an issue?
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-cafe/page2069

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Journal Entries
    Images

And in the interest of defusing a potentially....oh hell, an actually....tense situation, I refer to a brilliant quotation of OC Dave from the REI Return Policy thread:

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Xalex,

You know not what you have unleashed. Somewhat akin to "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!"

Good Luck and God bless your soul.

Who would ever have thought that our HikerMom would become a topic as controversial and heated as trail magic, gear returns and thruhiker entitlement?

Images

there is a disconnect sometimes with what gets posted on line and what happens in real life.shmaybix has avoided drama.thats a good thing, for her, as well as some of us. hikermom did not.both shmaybix and hikermom know i love them. it bothers me sometimes that shmaybix hasnt posted in the meeting place, because she chooses to avoid confrontation, and, really, its healthy for her and i understand.karen is a pure soul.

Journal Entries
    Images

As you've said before....if we could all get along online as well as we will likely do in person, WB would be a happier place. (maybe I paraphrase )
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 10-16-2013 at 22:16.

there is a disconnect sometimes with what gets posted on line and what happens in real life.shmaybix has avoided drama.thats a good thing, for her, as well as some of us. hikermom did not.both shmaybix and hikermom know i love them. it bothers me sometimes that shmaybix hasnt posted in the meeting place, because she chooses to avoid confrontation, and, really, its healthy for her and i understand.karen is a pure soul.
    I have an opinion on everything like everyone else. I expressed my opinions freely. I feel strongly about certain things- that's who I am. I tried not to hurt anyone when I expressed my opinions. I respect everyone's opinion and I expect the same in return.

HB... don't be bothered by me not posting in the meeting place. It's just random where I end up. I like the Owl Shelter, it's a good fit for me.. one group is enough!

I thought if I changed my name, I could blend in more on the site & also I'm much more cautious about my posting. This grasshopper has learned many lessons the hard way!!

I know not everyone likes me & that's Ok. I love y'all!!

Thank you for all the kind words... thanks for the public thanks Dr. G. It was my pleasure to meet you! I like meeting and helping out other people that share the same interest as I do... we share the same passion in hiking the AT. It's natural to want to "hang out" with other that share the same interest.

Again, I thank all of you for your kind words. Right back at ya!!

ohhh I get it now. That explains some things.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'm always puzzled when people that I like and respect can't get along with each other. I'm always hurt when they demand that I choose between them. How do I choose? I shake my head sadly and hike with the slower one, because I can't keep up with the faster.

Hang in there, shmaybix!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

When I was preparing to thru last year everyone would ask me what I was most afraid of. My biggest fear was the AT would be full of people as mean as they are on Whiteblaze where I often went for research. Since at that time I thought most of you had actually thruhiked I worried that the AT trail community was like this too. It almost changed my mind altogether. I had no desire to be beaten down for 6 months. Well as I know now the trail is actually full of kind, helpful and wonderful people and frankly those of you WB bigwigs that I have met along the way North are really just big pussycats in person. HikerMom always was the voice of reason in a sea of egodriven commentary.

HikerMom notified me of the norovirus outbreak between Erwin and Hot Springs just as I was preparing to enter that section on the trail. You all though she was an alarmist but I was washing my hands and keeping an eye out for trouble. Very soon what seemed like 100s of people were puking everywhere around me and you were all still telling her she overreacted. I did not get the dreaded noro and still attribute the tip off the reason why.

Back off and be kind. You're scaring people who are really just looking for good information. HikerMom I love you girl.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robin2013AT View Post
    When I was preparing to thru last year everyone would ask me what I was most afraid of. My biggest fear was the AT would be full of people as mean as they are on Whiteblaze where I often went for research. Since at that time I thought most of you had actually thruhiked I worried that the AT trail community was like this too. It almost changed my mind altogether. I had no desire to be beaten down for 6 months. Well as I know now the trail is actually full of kind, helpful and wonderful people and frankly those of you WB bigwigs that I have met along the way North are really just big pussycats in person. HikerMom always was the voice of reason in a sea of egodriven commentary.

HikerMom notified me of the norovirus outbreak between Erwin and Hot Springs just as I was preparing to enter that section on the trail. You all though she was an alarmist but I was washing my hands and keeping an eye out for trouble. Very soon what seemed like 100s of people were puking everywhere around me and you were all still telling her she overreacted. I did not get the dreaded noro and still attribute the tip off the reason why.

Back off and be kind. You're scaring people who are really just looking for good information. HikerMom I love you girl.
    +1..............

Images

I feel fortunate that I am clueless about any of this thread! I must not have gone to the areas where people were having problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++