WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I have the Royal Falcon Jacket and found it to be just fine for my purposes, it keeps warm after I stop hiking for lunch or at the end of the day. I've gone out and spent a couple hundred dollars on so called high end quality jackets just to have the stitching start coming apart in a few days. If you start checking the labels you'll begin to see a lot of the high priced labels are coming out of China. Clothing has a 3000% mark up when it hits the retail market so don't believe that a high price equates to a quality product.

As far as temp rating the jacket, I think 35 degrees is it's lowest limit without adding a mid-layer I think 50 to 55 degrees would be it's upper limit before you start overheating. I have yet to figure out how to pack the jacket into it's own pocket without at least one zipper being exposed, so I'll just stuff it into a small cuben stuff sack.
    A.T. Section Hikes
    NJ: Oct. 7 - 13, 2012 - Completed
    CT: Apr. 28 - May 1, 2013 - Completed
    NY: Fall 2013 - roughly 14 mile left to go

My Current Base Pack Weight

Quote Originally Posted by rich5665 View Post
    I have the Royal Falcon Jacket and found it to be just fine for my purposes, it keeps warm after I stop hiking for lunch or at the end of the day. I've gone out and spent a couple hundred dollars on so called high end quality jackets just to have the stitching start coming apart in a few days. If you start checking the labels you'll begin to see a lot of the high priced labels are coming out of China. Clothing has a 3000% mark up when it hits the retail market so don't believe that a high price equates to a quality product.

As far as temp rating the jacket, I think 35 degrees is it's lowest limit without adding a mid-layer I think 50 to 55 degrees would be it's upper limit before you start overheating. I have yet to figure out how to pack the jacket into it's own pocket without at least one zipper being exposed, so I'll just stuff it into a small cuben stuff sack.
    Awesome. Thanks for your review. I actually was able to wear it more on a day-hike to the Pinnacle on the AT. It was high 40s - low 50s by the time we got to the Pinnacle and I threw the jacket on while we stopped for lunch along the edge of the overlook. I couldn't believe how well this jacket stopped the wind from getting through. I was warm and impressed. I'd say it turned out to be a great find.

Quote Originally Posted by rich5665 View Post
    I looked at the Montbell website yesterday and saw some jackets that were made in China.

Images

The jacket stuffs into the left pocket, inside out. I had a chance to take a closer look at it today. Makes a nice pillow for us hammock campers.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    A.T. Section Hikes
    NJ: Oct. 7 - 13, 2012 - Completed
    CT: Apr. 28 - May 1, 2013 - Completed
    NY: Fall 2013 - roughly 14 mile left to go

My Current Base Pack Weight

I had a thread last year about a $40 Old Navy Down Patagonia knockoff. I still have it, and yea its warm, but it does leak feathers. The shell material also barely repels water, but some waterproofing spray fixed that. Are these cheap jackets better than expensive ones made by outdoor companies, heck no. However if money is tight, you can find something that is somewhat similar for a lot less money. Honestly people put down Walmart, but some of their camping/outdoor stuff and athletic clothing is serviceable to pretty good. I actually prefer the Starter brand Poly shirts over the Champion ones they sell in Target. I also like Walmart Starter poly boxer briefs for hiking over my Exofficio boxer briefs. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...r-42&highlight=

Picked up the "hawk&co" version at tjmax a few weeks ago for $50. Decent jacket for what it is. Men's medium weighs 9.0 oz even on my scale. And yes...it's made it china.

I believe I saw the same brand of down jackets at BJ's Wholesale a few weeks ago. $50 or so?

They also had a few really nice Mountain Hardwear down jackets that I was drooling over... Still under $100 I think? If only I had some extra cash to use!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Likeapuma View Post
    I believe I saw the same brand of down jackets at BJ's Wholesale a few weeks ago. $50 or so? They also had a few really nice Mountain Hardwear down jackets that I was drooling over... Still under $100 I think? If only I had some extra cash to use! Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    I've been on an ultralight transition for the last 6 months and use my iPhone 5 all the time on short trips for pictures. I WOULD NOT use it for thru hike because I personally wouldn't sacrifice those pictures to save some 6 ounces. IMO a phone can't can't replace the quality pictures a point and shoot can take. YMMV.

I have been eyeing that jacket. Shows up at tj maxx.

Tj maxx also has the Columbia parka with omni heat liner for $69.

That is a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by William36 View Post
    I have been eyeing that jacket. Shows up at tj maxx.

Tj maxx also has the Columbia parka with omni heat liner for $69.

That is a steal.
    I have the vest with the omni liner, it is a great vest. Yes, that is a great deal.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

I have this jacket as well and find it very warm and comfortable. It does block the wind quite well. Packs into the pocket for storing it in the pack and is a nice pillow if needed.

I saw the Jacket at our local Wal-mart. appears to be similar to my Patagonia, fabric is somewhat heavier. Nothing in my size. How packable is it? My patagonia will go to a 6 in ball. Even smaller now that my wife decided to wash it, without telling me.

I got a down jacket at JC Penny's last year for $12. It's 650 fill, and packs down smaller than a softball... I've worn it with just a t-shirt right around freezing and been comfortable. Dollars for donuts, that may be my favorite piece of gear... It's always in my bag in winter, and I know that I can go from a bit chilly to toasty warm by pulling it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    I saw the Jacket at our local Wal-mart. appears to be similar to my Patagonia, fabric is somewhat heavier. Nothing in my size. How packable is it? My patagonia will go to a 6 in ball. Even smaller now that my wife decided to wash it, without telling me.
    It doesn't pack down as much as the Patagonia, it seems. It packs into its own pocket and is probably the size of a Nalgene.

Found the down jacket at WM, after some searching. I had to look through everything, and there they were! $30. Plan to use it as a liner. It is sized very well, the med. fits great where as I would normally wear a large. Very warm for the price. I like it! Zip pockets too. Great find.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chall View Post
    Not sure if every Walmart carries the same items, but I found this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/h...cket?ID=706913 re-branded as Royal Falcon for $45ish in Exton, PA. It said 90% duck down, and 10% feather on the inside tag. Packs into its own pocket. Super light. I'm going to pick this up for an overnight trip I'm doing this weekend, so I'll gladly be the guinea pig if no one else has tried it out already . It seems like this could be a good Walmart score.
    BLACK FRIDAY DEAL! Just bought 3 jackets, one for myself & the other two for Friends. $29.97 for men's medium, and 34.97 for an 2xl. For u Walmart haters, u make take solace in knowing Walmart can't be making much of a profit on this item.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Journal Entries
    Images

12/16/13 I saw the same jacket at Walmart and it was marked down for $29.99. I bought one and think its great and plan on using this year on CDT. It was put in the inventory by mistake at this Walmart and so they were marked down. The total weight is 12.35 oz. Here is what the labels say: Royal Falcon Outdoor Apparel Functional performance utility & protection through innovated design" and "Ultimate on-the-go warmth. Our ultra light premium duck down packable jacket delivers minimal weight, superb compressibility & high loft warmth. Light enough to go anywhere, it resists tears, & protects against light precipitation. The down packable jacket is great for a range of activities & easily folds into it's own pocket." And, the tags inside say: "Royal Falcon Outdoor Apparel Performance Dynamic Sport Fiber, made in China" It's sure warm and I think it will fit the bill. Not wanting to spend a lot as it is not necessary as I read Mag's info on hiking equipment!!! (heh, heh!)
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I saw the down jacket at Costco last weekend and I could not find if it was 650 or 850. For the price I think it was 42 dollars, it did not look all that bad. I would test it out in the cold first before I took it on a long hike.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    12/16/13 I saw the same jacket at Walmart and it was marked down for $29.99. I bought one and think its great and plan on using this year on CDT. It was put in the inventory by mistake at this Walmart and so they were marked down. The total weight is 12.35 oz. Here is what the labels say: Royal Falcon Outdoor Apparel Functional performance utility & protection through innovated design" and "Ultimate on-the-go warmth. Our ultra light premium duck down packable jacket delivers minimal weight, superb compressibility & high loft warmth. Light enough to go anywhere, it resists tears, & protects against light precipitation. The down packable jacket is great for a range of activities & easily folds into it's own pocket." And, the tags inside say: "Royal Falcon Outdoor Apparel Performance Dynamic Sport Fiber, made in China" It's sure warm and I think it will fit the bill. Not wanting to spend a lot as it is not necessary as I read Mag's info on hiking equipment!!! (heh, heh!)
    For 12.35 oz., what size was that?

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, ya, it was 2X. They run a little small and I plan on wearing other stuff under it of course also. A smaller size would be lighter of course.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++