WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Suggestions for 3 day hike in Georgia

a friend and i are hiking 3 days late November and looking for suggestions about best entry/exit. we'll have 3 full days and then will need to get shuttle back to car the morning of day 4. thanks in advance.

depending on how many miles/day you want to hike, these are probably your easiest shuttle options.
    1) Unicoi Gap to Neels Gap
    2) Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Call the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega or Joyce and Sally in Hiawassee - all are reliable and reasonable. There are others, but I have used both of these and I know they show up when they say they will and don't charge too much.

Images

With 3 full days and a morning I would consider the stretch between Neels and Dick's Creek Gap. It's just under 40 miles and comfortably doable in that time frame while offering some challenging trail and a few great views.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Default Suggestions for 3 day hike in Georgia

If you are open to trails other than the AT, the cohutta wilderness is a nice area to check out

I'm taking a three day hike at about the same time, weekend before Thanksgiving. I'm thinking about Amicalola to Woody or Neel's

Journal Entries

I would suggest that the trail grade, and views are better just a few miles north in NC.

Winding Stair gap to NOC. 27 miles. Leave vehicle at NOC, shuttle to Winding stair gap, and hike back. Hitting the towers and balds for the views. Eat at NOC when you get there before departing for home.

Approach Trail to Neel Gap....classic!

Approach to Neels or Tesnatee. Standing Indian is also a good option if you are open to hiking in NC, just over the line. Several access points that might eliminate a shuttle.

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

I second the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega.They are closest to Woody Gap, mile 21. Your could start at Springer, or the Approach trail and get however far you can, then they can pick you up. Springer to Neel Gap is a pretty standard three day trip. Hiker Hostel services all gaps in that area. You can call them for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    If you are open to trails other than the AT, the cohutta wilderness is a nice area to check out
    +1 if you wear tennis shoes for the river fords. You will have it to yourselves, and the slot canyons are absolutely beautiful.

I just did amicolola to woody gap the weekend before thanksgiving, it took me two full days to get there. It was the first time this flatlander hiked in the mountains and it kicked my ass! Kneels gap is definatly doable in 3 days from amicolola. The sobo hikers I met did it in two days!

++ New Posts ++