WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I never had much luck with duck tape. Nor with moleskin, though that depends partly on how old it is. My feet are so oily, most adhesives don't stick well. The tape or moleskin would just slide down and create new blisters in the new location. Fortunately, I don't get blisters much any more, now that I've stopped wearing leather boots. For toe blisters, which I get when roadwalking, I'll use toe bandages - a kind of foam tube you slip over the toes. Otherwise a good athletic tape generally works. I'll do a bandaid and then tape over it heavily. After the second day, there's very little pain, so when the bandages come off, I stop worrying about it.

I'm with others who said prevention of blisters is the proactive wiser choice, by far. Treat hotspots BEFORE they turn into blisters or the skin breaks. I use something like Band Aid brand Friction Block, Body Glide(found in pharmacies, Sports Authority, Dicks, running shoe stores) or, as of late, I've preferably been using Bert's Bees Res-Q-Ointment as an anti-friction/moisturizing agent(small cans I buy at Bed Bath and Beyond). I would check into applying New Skin or Second Skin liquid or Band Aid brand Active Flex, Advanced Healing Blister Ampoules(love these!) or the ones made for fingers and toes, or the flexible fabric Band Aids(these are my preferred hotspot or small blister remedies). These Band Aids are better at staying on if engaging in an active lifestyle like hiking and move and flex over the hotspot rather than sticking to it, which as Trauma is also recommending, I think is wise no matter how you treat hotspots and blisters. I also think it's good to REDUCE OR ELIMINATE FRICTION BETWEEN THE HOTSPOT/BLISTER AND THE REMEDY YOU'RE USING TO ADDRESS IT.

If I was routinely getting blisters on the ball of my feet I would question why. Perhaps, it simply may be your feet haven't toughened up enough in that area which makes that area more prone to blisters. What you may want to look into is after market non-stock orthotics. I find stock orthotics(the ones shoes come with) are pretty much ALL inadequate, especially for long hiking treks or when on a rocky hard tread hike, that provide a bit more cushion under the ball of the foot. I would also pay close attention to matching footwear choices for your type of feet characteristics and the hikes you typically engage in, particularly the type of terrain, as well as your typical hiking style(experienced ULers going fast and far each day IMO can choose different hiking shoes than say someone trudging along on shorter mileage days carrying 50 lb packs on a week long hike); do this to avoid getting hotspots with improper or questionable hiking footwear. Personally, since I started paying much closer attention to what's on my feet for various hikes, ie; APPROPRIATE shoes, orthotics, socks, I rarely have been getting blisters. But, it's really a wider range of factors that come into play in preventing and addressing hotspots and blisters. IMO, sock choices directly play into preventing hotspots/blisters too. A sock liner that wicks away sweat or moisture may be useful as well.

If you do have a dime sized blister under the ball of the foot or if continuing to have hotspots in places like the top of the instep, heel, and under the ball of the foot consider taping your entire foot BUT doing the non-sticky side of the tape over the various hotspot or blister prone areas. Alternatively, you may try applying one of the liquid bandages, then after it has completely dried apply one of the anti-friction/moisturizers sparingly just on the blister/hotspot, and tape up being careful NOT to allow the sticky part of the tape to stick to the hot spot/blister. If regularly getting blisters on the top of the instep, heel, and ball of foot instead of tape(although I too prefer Leukotape if I'm using tape) with this approach I've used a THIN stretchy ACE bandage to wrap almost my entire foot(accept my toes) because it cushions, flexes, doesn't stick, protects, and I can easily remove it at stops to let my feet air out. Obviously, you need to keep in mind how this affects the interior volume and consequently fit of your shoe.

IMO, blisters under the ball of the foot are some of the toughest to treat especially when you're trying to heal them up while continuing to hike on a long distance hike. This makes those types of blisters in particular good to avoid in the first place.

BTW, the taping of the entire foot can be done preventively as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    omg!!!!! Uh, i'm hoping there's a "plan b"? Cause "plan a" ain't happennin!!!
    Sticking the needle through doesn't bother me. I just wouldn't be able to see my work..............
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm with others who said prevention of blisters is the proactive wiser choice, by far.
    Well, you certainly said a mouthful, D.W., and I appreciate your taking the time for all this advice! I agree strongly with whatever can be done preventive wise.

"Well, you certainly said a mouthful, D.W." You might find it helpful when reading my posts to take a deep breath between each paragraph and to take notes. I did it all for you.

Ditto on the Leukotape recommendation by Just Bill. I just got back from 60 miles on the AT and used it when I first felt the 1st hot spot. Left it on for the entire hike and on the last day it rained all day. Got to the Saffire Inn in Franklin for a shower, took off the socks and the tape cleanly came off with the sock. Blisters had healed in the time I had the Leukotape in place. Wonderful stuff.

I believe you can hike a thru hike and not get major blisters. You have to have the discipline to stop when you don't want to stop and take care of your feet. I hiked in 6.5 months - the whole AT - and that included a week off at the beach with my husband and beaucoup zero days. And no blisters to speak of. I think it's a mental thing about not necessarily trying to crank out 10-15 mile days at the beginning so you have time to stop and pay attention to your feet. If you are trying to do the trail in 4-5 months, then maybe it is harder, but even then it seems even more important to pay attention to your feet because you have to use them every day for more miles! Seems that the time taken to prevent a blister more than compensates for the time it takes to go more slowly (or even stop) because of blister pain.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
    I believe you can hike a thru hike and not get major blisters. You have to have the discipline to stop when you don't want to stop and take care of your feet.
    I had no blisters on my thru. Stopped immediately at the first sign of a hot spot and tended to it with bandaids, molefoam, moleskin, or white athletic tape. Also took off shoes and socks at least once a day and let the feet dry out.

Images

If you've gone so far as to already have the blisters, I subscribe to a small piece of "traditional" bandaid over the actual blister and then the duct tape.
    I have found that I have two spots on each foot that are susceptible to blisters.
    I just put a small piece of duct tape over each spot every morning and after about 6 weeks I found that I didn't need to anymore as callouses had built up on those two spots. Didn't need any foot treatment the rest of the hike.

Agree with Zipper in that hikers sometimes get into that run away freight train hiking mode being oblivious to or ignoring issues or are simply ignorant of managing themselves with care and it leads to more significant issues only one example of is letting a hotspot turn into a blister. I see the same thing in regard to hikers overwhelming the breathability of rain wear, overheating, getting progressively physically weaker because of not paying attention to ongoing nutritional changes/needs on a long hike, letting gear get progressively worse from minor damage until it malfunctions or needs to be trashed, letting one's mental game progressively deteriorate until they quit or habitually feel miserable, etc

I have been using duct tape on blisters for a few years now and has worked really well. I have found that after a few hours the tape may get messed up from my socks and have to be replaced at lunch or half way through a hike. I also use duct tape on hot spots before they become blisters... it's worked for me in the past.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

A thru hiker shared with me years ago, his 1st aid kit is duct tape and antibiotic ointment.

As a 12 mile / day section hiker I figure that I take 25,000 - 30,000 steps per day. Nothing will hold up. Band aids, Ha! Moleskin, ditto.

Works for me, simple....................get some isopropyl alcohol or whatever in town to provide additional care for your feet.

Speaking of which, a tip I learned on WB, I put 91% rubbing alcohol on my feet 2x per day for 2 weeks before each hike, wear knee high panty hose, yes, panty hose (Special Forces trick) with foot powder inside and then socks and change up at lunch every day.............unless its raining. Air out my feet for 45 minutes - 1 hour. Shoes 1/2 size larger. Blisters have become a minimal issue compared to when I did not do these things.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I never had much luck with duck tape. Nor with moleskin, though that depends partly on how old it is. My feet are so oily, most adhesives don't stick well. The tape or moleskin would just slide down and create new blisters in the new location. Fortunately, I don't get blisters much any more, now that I've stopped wearing leather boots. For toe blisters, which I get when roadwalking, I'll use toe bandages - a kind of foam tube you slip over the toes. Otherwise a good athletic tape generally works. I'll do a bandaid and then tape over it heavily. After the second day, there's very little pain, so when the bandages come off, I stop worrying about it.
    If you do need to use moleskin, and its regular adhesive doesn't work, glue it down with Friars Balsam (generic: Compound Tincture of Benzoin). That stuff is great as bandage cement.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Strips or ovals of moleskin can work on hotspots on toes by wrapping around the toe, or on heels or possibly under the ball of the foot. It comes in different thicknesses, softnesses, and adhesiveness. I talk about all this because I use to get so many more blisters and at one time or another have tried these various hot spot/blister remedies to varying success/failure. I make a lot of mistakes and have had a lot of hiking issues that I try learning from.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
    I believe you can hike a thru hike and not get major blisters. You have to have the discipline to stop when you don't want to stop and take care of your feet. I hiked in 6.5 months - the whole AT - and that included a week off at the beach with my husband and beaucoup zero days. And no blisters to speak of. I think it's a mental thing about not necessarily trying to crank out 10-15 mile days at the beginning so you have time to stop and pay attention to your feet. If you are trying to do the trail in 4-5 months, then maybe it is harder, but even then it seems even more important to pay attention to your feet because you have to use them every day for more miles! Seems that the time taken to prevent a blister more than compensates for the time it takes to go more slowly (or even stop) because of blister pain.
    Sounds like you had a great hike, Zip. Didn't try to set any records, and had a great time. Of course, if you do it in 6 1/2 months, you do have to average 11+ miles per day, and that goes up a little with each day under that average ( including, of course all those zeros)...
    Having good shoes is obviously important -- and, I wonder if you really know you have good shoes until you're out there. Seen a bunch of accounts from folks changing shoes several times along the trail. I'm pretty sure in Odyssa's book, she says that Warren Doyle recommends sneakers! Okay, I know he's a legend, but, sneakers? Really?
    At any rate, I totally agree with you about slowing down and taking care of those feet! Thanks for your advise, and congrats on your great hike and the lifetime memories you will have from it!

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    If you've gone so far as to already have the blisters, I subscribe to a small piece of "traditional" bandaid over the actual blister and then the duct tape.
    I have found that I have two spots on each foot that are susceptible to blisters.
    I just put a small piece of duct tape over each spot every morning and after about 6 weeks I found that I didn't need to anymore as callouses had built up on those two spots. Didn't need any foot treatment the rest of the hike.
    Thanks Ozjacko. Building up the callouses is definitely one way to go. I think I'm gonna try some of the other methods folks have mentioned to try and keep my feet healthy in this - my "early hiking days" -- and see how it goes. But, if it comes to it, I agree with you, I'd much rather build up callouses and then not have to worry about blisters. (But first I'm gonna shoot for neither blisters NOR callouses, and see how it goes!)

Agree with Zipper in that hikers sometimes get into that run away freight train hiking mode being oblivious to or ignoring issues or are simply ignorant of managing themselves with care and it leads to more significant issues only one example of is letting a hotspot turn into a blister. I see the same thing in regard to hikers overwhelming the breathability of rain wear, overheating, getting progressively physically weaker because of not paying attention to ongoing nutritional changes/needs on a long hike, letting gear get progressively worse from minor damage until it malfunctions or needs to be trashed, letting one's mental game progressively deteriorate until they quit or habitually feel miserable, etc
    I know that's true. That "ignorant of managing themselves" happened to me in my exercise regimen many years ago, and I'm still paying the price for it. Well, sometimes, if you don't have the medical training, and you're highly motivated to achieving some goal, you just won't know what damage you may be causing. But thanks to your earlier post, and many others, I (and probably others following this thread) have a lot more knowledge now about ways to prevent this particular problem.

You know, you think about a blister, and you think -- "big deal" -- but, everybody here knows if you're trying to get from Springer to Katahdin, and especially if you're running up against a deadline -- a small blister can be a VERY big deal!

Strips or ovals of moleskin can work on hotspots on toes by wrapping around the toe, or on heels or possibly under the ball of the foot. It comes in different thicknesses, softnesses, and adhesiveness. I talk about all this because I use to get so many more blisters and at one time or another have tried these various hot spot/blister remedies to varying success/failure. I make a lot of mistakes and have had a lot of hiking issues that I try learning from.
    I've also seen some accounts of folks talking about losing toenails, or their toenails get black and eventually fall off. This must be happening due to the downhills where the toes are jamming into the shoes.... So it might be wise to use some of that moleskin in front of the toes as well.

How much duct tape to bring 1-2-3 ft. ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++