WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    What were they?
    Maybe we're both slow but I don't get it either.

The couple weeks I was hiking with a guy who was 6'5" was glorious.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Images

What were they?
    ummm.... did you not read the title of this thread? or is is just me who thinks there is a difference between cobwebs and spider webs?

Images

lol ok apparently it is me, nevermind

Images

ok actually maybe it isnt just me- cobwebs are abandoned spider webs no longer being used by spiders that are now collecting dust and other particles. the ones you find across a trail early in the morning are most likely not cobwebs as a web located in such a spot wouldn't sit abandoned for a prolonged period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Did you and I S make it in 2??? We took 4 days.
    Yep we got to Hot Springs around 7pm Saturday nite.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    ummm.... did you not read the title of this thread? or is is just me who thinks there is a difference between cobwebs and spider webs?
    I've never given it (cobwebs vs. spider webs) a thought, but after a quick search I see that this is a little controversial; I'm also not sure by the definitions I've read that the {let's say, spider strands} encountered on the AT can be called cobwebs, but maybe they can't technically be called spider webs either, but I'm on no footing to debate.

However, I will say, that I've often wondered about the real purpose of these spider strands. In other words, they do not seem part of a bug catching system and they are quite new, since they are always there in the morning. It appears that these strands are simply for getting across the trail, in other words, transportation and nothing else.

I wonder if it's a special spider that does this, because in my garden I have tons of spiders and a lot of plant life, but no where do I have spider strands going from one plant to another

Images

I've never given it (cobwebs vs. spider webs) a thought, but after a quick search I see that this is a little controversial; I'm also not sure by the definitions I've read that the {let's say, spider strands} encountered on the AT can be called cobwebs, but maybe they can't technically be called spider webs either, but I'm on no footing to debate.

However, I will say, that I've often wondered about the real purpose of these spider strands. In other words, they do not seem part of a bug catching system and they are quite new, since they are always there in the morning. It appears that these strands are simply for getting across the trail, in other words, transportation and nothing else.

I wonder if it's a special spider that does this, because in my garden I have tons of spiders and a lot of plant life, but no where do I have spider strands going from one plant to another
    personally, i have always just thought of cobwebs as dust catchers in the corners of house, be it an old spiderweb now collecting dust or just a web of any sort of dust like material. in any case i associate it it with dust, not spiders. spiderwebs (be they actual webs or just single strands) i think of as recent things being actively used by spiders. i inferred (perhaps incorrectly) that the hiker i encountered who referred to them as cobwebs didnt think they were things that may actually contain live spiders who are using them.

in any case whatever you find freshen spun across the trail early in the morning i dont think can be properly called a cobweb.

Journal Entries

OMG! I really really really can't stand the webs. And those orange ones are the worst. I think I could stand it if I saw a tarantula but the others just give me the willies!!! I know there aren't tarantulas in the Appalachians but I can wish can't I?

The webs are bad enough but what I hate is when one of those big black spiders lands on my face, never hike early with your mouth open. Another disadvantage of being first on the trail is you get to be the one that locates the slippery spots for everyone else, I always watch for where someone has slipped when it's muddy to save me from going down.

Journal Entries
    Images

The cobwebs are bigger in Canada,,,, This was spotted in Ottawa. - suggest a willow switch instead of a hiker pole....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5294 View Post
    Maybe we're both slow but I don't get it either.

The couple weeks I was hiking with a guy who was 6'5" was glorious.
    That's my every trip but I am the 6'5" guy. Boo

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Hey Ya'll! Any thoughts on the spider webs when your the first one on the trail in the morning.
    yeah...learn how to knit.

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl View Post
    I know there aren't tarantulas in the Appalachians
    No, but I've seen wolf spiders 3" across.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

This happened to me as well when I hiked the Ozark Highlands Trail in October. Every morning, rain or shine, every 50ft for miles. It does get annoying after awhile to constantly knock them down with a hiking stick, not to mention the big ass spiders in the center of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    That's my every trip but I am the 6'5" guy. Boo
    Same here, I was hiking with a lady last week end and was being "polite" by letting her lead (I'm such a nice guy) but still managed to catch one of those big fat spiders in the face.

Journal Entries

Hey! Bet no webs on trail in the morning! HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Huge banana spider webs = Florida Trail. Not to be confused with the banana spider of S. America.

Journal Entries

Oh Gah-hawd! I hate those orange ones!!! One morning when I was going to work I opened the front door and there was one hanging from the eave right in front of the door at face level. I jumped back, a few cuss words escaped, did the dance in my kitchen and that's when I noticed that it was stupored from the cold during the night. I think I might do that dance now that I'm thinking about it. I'm gonna sleep late on the trail but I'm 6 ft so it might not work.

Images

It's just nature's way of enforcing the " no good deed goes unpunished "rule. You know, good job for being first out. Heres your spider web. Enjoy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I try this too but it usually doesn't work as I am taller than the average person.
    Amen, Never seems to make a difference, even when I very politely told fellow hikers go ahead of me hoping they'd clear the webs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++