WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    That's a bit much for me, it's hard enough dragging a deer out of the woods.
    Also a bit hard to find any wild bison in the northeast.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    You just have to know how to look for them.

Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-24-2013 at 20:44.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    There's a bison ranch which supplies the meat for the coop. I don't remember the exact location but it's in KY.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post

I don't fret over saturated fats, so far the best advice is the old saying: "Except for bacon, all in moderation".
    ...and M&M's

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I've significantly improved my health (according to several objective surrogate measures) by following the rule, "if you hike all day, you can eat what you damned well please." That is my one-line summary about food for health.
    The word that jumped out at me in your post was surrogate. Immediately, all thoughts of nutrition and food ceased. I was thinking of a naked Helen Hunt and that gorgeous smile.

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Fried crickets taste kind of like sunflower seeds.
    Only if they are fried in sunflower oil! They have the texture of something like um.........a crunchy bug. Try adding some soy sauce MSG free of course. I had to keep it health conscious as well as tasty on this thread. They are terrible ....even with the soy sauce. I think I got a bad batch. I think they were made in China. Sauteed grasshoppers weren't so good either. Did like the chocolate covered ants though. Serious. The ants had the texture of something akin to chocolate covered Grape Nuts but tasted like crunchy smaller harder chocolate covered Raisinettes. Funniest thing, a friend who I was sampling these things(uh um food?) with tried feeding the dead chocolate covered ants to some live unchocolate covered ants and they weren't having any of it. I also tried feeding that crap that is passed off as "cheese food" - Velveeta that's sometimes mixed in with the regular REAL cheese to a mouse. I thought I was doing a good thing - feeding the homeless hungry mouse population(I think she had little mice mouths to feed). I was sure the hungry mouse would eagerly devour the chunk of Velveeta I tossed it. The mouse looked at it, picked it up, sniffed it, AND PUT IT DOWN, and quietly pitter pattered away. I thought this mouse doesn't know the smorgasbord I just tossed it. Threw it another small piece. The mouse did the same thing and then RAN away. Seems ants and mice have a better sense of what food is than humans.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Another one that blows up the party line and has great entertainment value is Science for Smart People.
    Thank you for posting the Science for Smart People response. That is good stuff, and is worth 46 minutes of most peoples time. I liked his rats that milk cows don't have the technology to isolate individual protein line. It literally made me laugh out loud for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Only if they are fried in sunflower oil! They have the texture of something like um.........a crunchy bug. Try adding some soy sauce MSG free of course. I had to keep it health conscious as well as tasty on this thread. They are terrible ....even with the soy sauce. I think I got a bad batch. I think they were made in China. Sauteed grasshoppers weren't so good either. Did like the chocolate covered ants though. Serious. The ants had the texture of something akin to chocolate covered Grape Nuts but tasted like crunchy smaller harder chocolate covered Raisinettes. Funniest thing, a friend who I was sampling these things(uh um food?) with tried feeding the dead chocolate covered ants to some live unchocolate covered ants and they weren't having any of it. I also tried feeding that crap that is passed off as "cheese food" - Velveeta that's sometimes mixed in with the regular REAL cheese to a mouse. I thought I was doing a good thing - feeding the homeless hungry mouse population(I think she had little mice mouths to feed). I was sure the hungry mouse would eagerly devour the chunk of Velveeta I tossed it. The mouse looked at it, picked it up, sniffed it, AND PUT IT DOWN, and quietly pitter pattered away. I thought this mouse doesn't know the smorgasbord I just tossed it. Threw it another small piece. The mouse did the same thing and then RAN away. Seems ants and mice have a better sense of what food is than humans.
    This kind of reminds me of a conversation I had with someone about eating weeds, which as you know I'm into. His complaint was that wild plants, aka weeds, just don't have the kind of taste compared to his produce. And while I'm a big fan of eating weeds, I really can't argue with that point, unless of course I want to be totally biased and argue from that point, but that's not my style, what he says is just plain fact.

P.S. This guy is a serious medium-scale Landrace farmer, so he knows what he's talking about, WRT plants.

Sure I can point to some types of plants, especially wild onions and wood sorrel with unique tastes, but even they don't compare to many of the bred plants. This is because one of the traits bred into plants are designed to accentuate tastes. And it's not just plants, look at all types of food that we seem to have an obsession with tastes, nutrition is not our top priority, regardless of what many say, at best it comes in at second priority and sometimes it's not even close. This includes all types of foods, not just plants, but everything -- ever hear of Kobe beef, there are stories of people massaging cattle and playing classical music to soothe the animals so to improve the texture/taste. And it must work, because it's highly valued.

It does make you wonder how our tastes are evolving. Taste buds in nature serve a very important function, but outside of the natural setting none of us use our tastes as designed, rather it's all about satisfaction, i.e. wants, not needs. Just another reason to when people talk about eating a natural diet. Go eat some weeds and a gamey squirrel or rat and some insects if you want to eat natural. There is nothing natural with natural foods one buys at a health food store that specializes in natural foods.

So easy to lie to yourself.

Images

Ol hog wash to all dem studies, my grand daddy smoke drank ate bacon every day fat back every day and lived to 85, my other grand daddy never drank, never smoked ate nice balanced meals, and he lived to 85. I eat what I want, do not go to gym, do not work out and I be willing to bet I live to about 85. I think we are just given a lot of genes that we have and nothin going to change our date with destiny. We all end up dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    Ol hog wash to all dem studies, my grand daddy smoke drank ate bacon every day fat back every day and lived to 85, my other grand daddy never drank, never smoked ate nice balanced meals, and he lived to 85. I eat what I want, do not go to gym, do not work out and I be willing to bet I live to about 85. I think we are just given a lot of genes that we have and nothin going to change our date with destiny. We all end up dead.
    I suspect that the swine who provided the bacon your grand daddy ate were not ingested with chemicals and raised in CAFOs.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Another one that blows up the party line and has great entertainment value is Science for Smart People.
    That is an excellent video, and well worth watching. Thanks for posting it.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Just like HYOH.......I say EYOF........Your body knows what it needs, all of us are different.

Images

Just going by the numbers... There are many millions of vegans living in India, far more than there are Inuit subsisting on blubber in the Arctic.

My conclusion is that it's much too easy to jump to conclusions about what will increase health and longevity. One intriguing thing I've read a number of times over many years is that calorie-restriction is linked to longevity. Argh! That's exactly what I don't want to know. I'd much rather be told to buy this and eat more of that than to eat less.

Back to the original topic... Back in the 70's margarine was trumpeted as being the Fountain of Youth. The subject was often discussed in my extended family, with some swearing never to allow saturated fats to touch their lips, and others sticking to butter. (Now there's an image for you.) Carl Cori, 1947 Nobel laureate for his work on carbohydrate metabolism, and member of my extended family, was once asked by my mother-in-law to weigh in on the subject. He said he was still eating butter. He lived to be 87.

My father-in-law, who switched to margarine decades ago, and followed the anti-saturated fats plan for most of his adult life, passed away last year at the age of 86.

So...I'll stick with eating mostly unprocessed foods, with lots of fruits and vegetables, getting as much exercise as I can arrange, and striving to balance the two so as not to keep my body weight less than obese.
    Last edited by Marta; 10-28-2013 at 09:28.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I keep seeing anti-fat commercials and articles all over the place, but it's been shown this is wrong, not just thru studies, but we have seen that many peoples in the world live just fine on relatively high-fat diets.

Just like there were smokers that didn't want to believe that smoking is bad for you, it seems like a lot of people are not accepting that the war on saturated fat is over, i.e. the official claims against sat fat was dead wrong and probably lead to a lot of adverse health effects to many.

We look back at old cigarette commercials and just can't believe in the ignorance and one day people will look back on the anti-fat commercials and just shake their heads at our incredibly stupid, naive beliefs.

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fi...e-fat-20141020

Excerpt:

For more than half a century, the conventional wisdom among nutritionists and public health officials was that fat is dietary enemy number one – the leading cause of obesity and heart disease.

It appears the wisdom was off. And not just off. Almost entirely backward.

According to a new study from the National Institutes of Health, a diet that reduces carbohydrates in favor of fat – including the saturated fat in meat and butter – improves nearly every health measurement, from reducing our waistlines to keeping our arteries clear, more than the low-fat diets that have been recommended for generations. "The medical establishment got it wrong," says cardiologist Dennis Goodman, director of Integrative Medicine at New York Medical Associates. "The belief system didn't pan out."

Read more: http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fi...#ixzz3H4v6Ptve
    Follow us: @mensjournal on Twitter | MensJournal on Facebook

Journal Entries
    Images

Some how i got on Men's Journals e-mail list.

They sent this yesterday: http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fi...VAZ21haWwuY29t

Edit-- This is a different article from the same mag as Pedaling Fool just posted. More to to with why we have all been fooled-- if in fact we have.
    Last edited by rickb; 10-24-2014 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Some how i got on Men's Journals e-mail list.

They sent this yesterday:
    http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/nutrition/the-high-fat-diet-explained-20141021?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=102214_13&utm_medium=email&ea=cmlja2JvdWRyaWVAZ21haWwuY29t

Edit-- This is a different article from the same mag as Pedaling Fool just posted. More to to with why we have all been fooled-- if in fact we have.
    I haven't read her book (Nina Teicholz's), but I do remember reading several of her articles; she's definitely been beating the drum on this issue for some time.

As for the "if in fact we have" remark, that's important to me, because it should be a reminder to us all that we really don't know the truth and we never will. While I'm always skeptical of just about everything, especially when it involves scientific consensus (after all this was scientific consensus for decades), I never tell myself that I know what the real answer is. I'm not sure there is a real answer. That's why I just adopt the All in Moderation approach, just in case some of the stuff I see as good is actually bad

Images

All good, but WHEN will myths like "sugar is poison" be understood? How about "organic foods? I tip my hat to the marketers, and as a grocery chain stock holder (KR), my wallet thanks these folks in two ways: 1) more profits for us stock holders by selling essentially the same food for much more and 2) making "non-organic" foods cheaper for some of us because of less demand.

Here's a good article on sugars, specifically about that evil HFCS:

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skept...-myth-science/

Another contradictory study, this time on Trans Fatty Acids (TFAs) -- I love it

http://www.escardio.org/The-ESC/Pres...re-bad-for-you

Excerpt:

"Artificial TFAs occur when oil goes through a process of hydrogenation, which makes the oil more solid. They are used as ingredients in processed foods, such as cakes, biscuits and pies, and for frying. It has been well-established that high levels of industrially produced TFAs in food can lead to high cholesterol, heart problems, strokes and diabetes, and they have even been linked to infertility, Alzheimer’s disease and some cancers. Action has been taken in the USA to reduce the amount of artificially produced TFAs in food, while intake of these has tended to be lower in most of Europe. However, until now it has been unclear what is the highest concentration of TFAs that is safe for humans, and whether or not there is any difference between industrially produced TFAs and naturally occurring ones.

Researchers in Germany, led by Dr Marcus Kleber, a post-doctoral researcher at the Vth Department of Medicine of the Medical Faculty Mannheim at Heidelberg University, measured the concentrations of TFAs found in the membranes of red blood cells in participants in the Ludwigshafen Risk and Cardiovascular Health (LURIC) study. A total of 3316 people living in south-western Germany joined the study between 1997 and 2000 after being hospitalised in order to have coronary angiographies to investigate heart disease, and 3,259 of them were analysed for this study. During a median follow-up period of just over 10 years (ranging from less than one year to nearly 12 years), 975 (30%) of these patients died.

The researchers analysed blood samples from the patients to identify the total concentrations of TFAs, as well as distinguishing between the concentrations of industrially produced and naturally occurring TFAs. They linked this with information on deaths, causes of death, medical history, and other factors that could affect results, such as whether or not the patient were taking cholesterol-lowering drugs, such as statins, and risk factors such as smoking, lack of physical exercise, body mass index (BMI), diabetes and high blood pressure.

Dr Kleber said: “We found that higher concentrations of TFAs in the membranes of red blood cells were associated with higher LDL or ‘bad’ cholesterol, but also with lower BMI, lower fats in the blood (triglycerides) and less insulin resistance and, therefore, a lower risk of diabetes. We were surprised to find that naturally occurring TFAs were associated with a lower rate of deaths from any cause, and this was driven mainly by a lower risk of sudden cardiac death.

“We were also surprised to see that increases in the concentrations of industrially produced TFAs were not followed by increased mortality, which stands in contrast to observations from the United States. The reason for this may be, that in our group of German patients, TFAs were in general much lower than those found in the United States, so that hardly anybody in the study reached concentrations common to people in the US.”

The proportion of TFAs in the blood of the study participants ranged from 0.27-2.40% of total fatty acids, with an average of just under one percent. Another study in the USA over a similar time period reported an average of more than 2.6% of total fatty acids."

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    You cannot get all essential amino acids all vegan. At least add eggs to your list if you don't want to eat meat.
    You can get all essential amino acids all vegan. You just have to be careful.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/esse...cids-4081.html
    https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    All good, but WHEN will myths like "sugar is poison" be understood? How about "organic foods? I tip my hat to the marketers, and as a grocery chain stock holder (KR), my wallet thanks these folks in two ways: 1) more profits for us stock holders by selling essentially the same food for much more and 2) making "non-organic" foods cheaper for some of us because of less demand.

Here's a good article on sugars, specifically about that evil HFCS:

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skept...-myth-science/
    Ok,I worked in the food industry for years.We bought HFCS by the truckload and sold it by the ounce.It makes certain foods taste better,and,YES,it is so much cheaper than sucrose.In and of itself,HFCS is no worse than sucrose or other sugars most likely.The real issue is that the food industry now adds it to EVERYTHING.I had a can of tomato soup the other day that did not taste like soup-tasted like syrup.They put it in everything from bread to baby formula and sugar is addictive so as your blood sugar spikes and falls you crave it like a junky on heroin and have to have another fix.Go watch Dr. Robert Lustig's presentation on YouTube,"Sugar the Bitter Truth."He is a real doctor and an authority on the subject of real and artificial sweeteners,cancer,and heart disease.Let's not forget diabetes while we are at it either.There's an epidemic of juvenile diabetes in America-so how did that happen?Putting my money where my mouth is,I have maintained a 60 pound weight loss since 2009 strictly by avoiding carbs as much as possible and absolutely avoiding anything with sugar or sugar substitutes added.I eat plenty of nuts,cheese,butter,bacon,fried chicken but mostly leafy greens and non starchy vegetables but include sweet potatoes etc.My doctor is pleased with my blood chemistry which is normal with a very high HDL number so it's working for me anyway.I would like to add that while exercise is a great thing,you do not have to be a gymn rat to lose weight if you get off sugar and carbs.Sorry for the rant...............

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++