WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default It is Time to End the War on Saturated Fats

Amen! It's Bacon Time

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...#axzz2iWjYBK7k

Excerpt:

"Virtually all the truths about preventing heart attacks that physicians and patients have held dear for more than a generation are wrong and need to be abandoned, Malhotra writes. He musters a passel of recent research that suggests that the "obsession" with lowering a patients' total cholesterol with statins, and a public health message that has made all sources of saturated fat verboten to the health-conscious, have failed to reduce heart disease.

Indeed, he writes, they have set off market forces that have put people at greater risk. After the Framingham Heart Study showed a correlation between total cholesterol and risk for coronary artery disease in the early 1970s, patients at risk for heart disease were urged to swear off red meat, school lunchrooms shifted to fat-free and low-fat milk, and a food industry eager to please consumers cutting their fat intake rushed to boost the flavor of their new fat-free offerings with added sugar (and, of course, with trans-fats).

The result is a rate of obesity that has "rocketed" upward, writes Malhotra. And, despite a generation of patients taking statins (and enduring their common side effects), the trends in cardiovascular disease have not demonstrably budged.

Malhotra cites a 2009 UCLA study showing that three-quarters of patients admitted to the hospital with acute myocardial infarction do not have high total cholesterol; what they do have, at a rate of 66%, is metabolic syndrome -- a cluster of worrying signs including hypertension, high fasting blood sugar, abdominal obesity, high triglycerides and low HDL ("good" cholesterol)."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I'm confused. Based on the excerpt the author demonstrated that people traded one unhealthy type of diet for another unhealthy type of diet.

So where's the surprise in concluding that they're still unhealthy?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Where is the war on gluttony?

I'm sorry, I forgot it can't be my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'm confused. Based on the excerpt the author demonstrated that people traded one unhealthy type of diet for another unhealthy type of diet.

So where's the surprise in concluding that they're still unhealthy?
    Maybe my choice of exerpt was wrong, but the point was that the 1970 study that linked sat fat with heart disease was flawed.

Me, I'm skeptical of all studies concerning human health, but this new study does present some very valid points, especially the last sentece of the excerpt.

I don't fret over saturated fats, so far the best advice is the old saying: "Except for bacon, all in moderation".

Last March, I listened to a program on The Peoples Pharmacy in which the authors of a new book, The Great Cholesterol Myth, Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent Heart Disease--and the Statin-Free Plan That Will. The authors - one a nutritionist, one a cardiologist - assert that inflammation caused from sugar is the primary culprit threatening heart health, not high cholesterol. Furthermore, even the "bad" LDL cholesterol is too simplistic because there are different components comprising the LDL. I purchased the book and am following their dietary recommendations, the most important of which is to reduce sugar. As for fats, the problem isn't saturated fat intake as much as imbalances in unsaturated fats between Omega 3 sources and Omega 6s. Ideally they should be 50-50 but eating processed foods give us a disproportionate amount of Omega 6.

I've taken myself on and off statins over the years, but now I'm off them for good.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I agree. Many saturated fats are actually quite GOOD for you, not the horrible evil past studies have said they were. I eat two eggs a day and a pork product at breakfast, cook with lard every day, drink whole milk and eat plenty of meat. That said, I maintain a 1700 calorie diet and eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit and very few processed foods coupled with an hour of exercise 6 days a week. Sure, I'm just one person and not a representative sample but my doctor said my last physical was excellent, including my cholesterol counts - this despite eating cholesterol and fat (according to my nutrition calculators) that's way, way above the food pyramid or other "standard" recommendations. Me thinks there's something to that.

And I agree that over-eating and a lack of exercise plays a large role in overall weight gain for which there is a likewise correlation with heart disease. Though I feel that we have been "duped" in part into believing that the "light" or "low-fat" foods were better for us and that we could eat more of it (instead of focusing on calories per serving - I mean, who measures a serving?).

I enjoyed Food Inc's take on the modern food chain and the market and government forces that drive it and
    Michael Pollan's book: In Defense of Food as it looked at sustainable agribusiness and some of the challenges of big agribusiness
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Last March, I listened to a program on The Peoples Pharmacy in which the authors of a new book, The Great Cholesterol Myth, Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent Heart Disease--and the Statin-Free Plan That Will. The authors - one a nutritionist, one a cardiologist - assert that inflammation caused from sugar is the primary culprit threatening heart health, not high cholesterol. Furthermore, even the "bad" LDL cholesterol is too simplistic because there are different components comprising the LDL. I purchased the book and am following their dietary recommendations, the most important of which is to reduce sugar. As for fats, the problem isn't saturated fat intake as much as imbalances in unsaturated fats between Omega 3 sources and Omega 6s. Ideally they should be 50-50 but eating processed foods give us a disproportionate amount of Omega 6.

I've taken myself on and off statins over the years, but now I'm off them for good.
    Yes. I read Dr. Phil Maffetone's "Big Book of Endurance Racing and Training" while preparing for my first marathon and he good me hooked on the idea that the balance of consumed fats is critical to correctly controlling inflammation as well as fat's interacting with glucose in the blood and it's role in metabolic syndrome. My macros are 40% fat, 40% protein, 20% carbohydrates nearly all come from all manner of fruits and vegetables and very limited whole-grains under the sun. And of course, beer. That's whole-grain, right

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I agree. Many saturated fats are actually quite GOOD for you, not the horrible evil past studies have said they were....

I enjoyed Food Inc's take on the modern food chain and the market and government forces that drive it and
    Michael Pollan's book: In Defense of Food as it looked at sustainable agribusiness and some of the challenges of big agribusiness
    The book I referred to recommends grass-fed beef as an excellent protein source. Michael Pollan's first book on this subject - The Omnivore's Dilemma - describes among other things his experience with a Virginia farmer (not far from the AT coincidentally) who raises cattle on grass and gets a better yield than his neighbors simply because he rotates his stock to different pastures on a set schedule. Needless to say, there are no anti-biotics or growth hormones administered to the cattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Where is the war on gluttony?

I'm sorry, I forgot it can't be my fault.
    There are real changes as the OP suggests that have contributed significantly. I believe the research that suggests high fructose corn syrup is metabolized differently (as an example). The real changes though seem related to activity. I remember as a kid being told not to come inside until the street lights came on... Kids are now on facebook and playing video games rather then running outside or riding bikes.

There is some evidence that people are eating larger portions, restaurants cater to demand with larger and larger servings.... But I think the combination of these factors is to blame.

No one made me fat, I had to make deliberate changes to reverse the damage. I do agree with the OP, the low fat propaganda was wrong, and the increase in sweeteners to make up for the loss of flavor is the fat free foods did a lot more harm then good.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    ... whole-grains under the sun. And of course, beer. That's whole-grain, right
    Among grains, oats are still the best (although hulled barley ranks high because of its glycemic index). So what better beverage is there than Oatmeal Stout?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Among grains, oats are still the best (although hulled barley ranks high because of its glycemic index). So what better beverage is there than Oatmeal Stout?

I have a coffee stout being bottle-conditioned as we type

Just stay away from anything fried. Fresh cold pressed olive and coconut oils are amazing for you and are saturated fats. Any other oil just avoid. Sugar is the worst substance your body can ingest. It promotes cancer cell growth and every human on the planet is born with cancer cells. If you have the willpower to avoid meat, do so. You will get enough protein in your diet from nuts, seeds, lagunes, vegetables, and grains. I lift weights and don't eat meat, I have no issues building muscle. I also have more energy than anyone I work with because I'm not bogged down trying to digest meat all the time. Meat also has cholesterol which does clog arteries. Not trying to turn anyone, just stating the facts. People usually get pretty upset when you tell them they are doing anything wrong and they should change, especially when it comes to their diets. So please don't assume that's what this was all about. I have a little knowledge on the subject, so I shared. That is all, good day

Images

You cannot get all essential amino acids all vegan. At least add eggs to your list if you don't want to eat meat.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoRed View Post
    Just stay away from anything fried.
    Except, of course, fried chicken.

The best advice I can give about nutrition is to not get any nutrition advice from WB.

There has been much bad diet information, and it did become politicized with the ridiculous food pyramid and the recommendation to eat high-carb, low fat diets. Here is a decent article debunking a number of diet myths. Many may disagree with this, but the number of people who have been able to reverse type II diabetes and lean out following this is undeniable. http://www.businessinsider.com/13-nu...t-2013-10?op=1

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    You cannot get all essential amino acids all vegan. At least add eggs to your list if you don't want to eat meat.
    I'm sorry but you misinformed there. First off, there are at least half a dozen foods that have all the essential amino acids the are plant based. Quinoa and soybeans being amongst them. Second, all the essential amino acids can easily be accounted for by eating various plant based foods. Think of it like a puzzle. You just have to eat multiple types of foods to complete the puzzle. We do everyday no matter what. Also, I'm not vegan but I do try my hardest to avoid dairies due to the casein protein content. It' horrible stuff. I also don't eat eggs because I think they smell horrible and taste even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Rice and beans have all the essential amino acids.

TREAD LIGHTLY! BE CAREFUL, not to take an excerpt out of context or not be aware of the larger perspective. As is SO VERY OFTEN when it comes to nutrition and health it's much more complex of a picture than simply making the blanket statement "It is Time to End the War on Saturated Fats." I'll just state not all saturated fats are the same and the consumption of saturated fats doesn't affect all people in all situations equally. I think the author of the excerpt says that. Without going off on tangents or getting into the complexities, just of which I'm aware of, It is still wise for the VAST MAJORITY of people to limit saturated fats. The discussion of Cholesterol and statins are probably best reserved for an initial separate discussion(volume of books and studies) from saturated fats because that's more complex in itself than is typically reviewed.

I like eggs. I like cheese. I like butter. I like bacon.

That these things go well together is a good thing.

I really like sourdough bread, but unless I am on the trail, I can not eat it. I can not eat wheat, rice, corn, or other carbs... Thankfully I can eat lots of great stuff, and really don't miss the things I can not eat.

Since I gave up carbs, I lost 80#, hike better and feel better. I eat lots of fatty food, but my LDL/HDL levels have improved. My heart disease risk factor was significantly improved by replacing carbs with fat.... Strange but true!
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Except, of course, fried chicken.

The best advice I can give about nutrition is to not get any nutrition advice from WB.
    Except my advise. My advise is to eat fried chicken in direct proportion to the amount of exercise you get.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++