WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LW and speed

Journal Entries
    Images

One thing that is interesting to ponder is that while packs are getting ever lighter, people are taking ever longer to hike the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    One thing that is interesting to ponder is that while packs are getting ever lighter, people are taking ever longer to hike the AT.
    Ithingies eat up a lot of time as do shuttles, restaurant meals, bar hopping, etc.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
    I hiked for a couple of days with Ray Jardine in 2009 - ran into him at Mombasha high point - thought he was a day hiker, his pack was so tiny!, and I can corroborate - he did not hike fast! That's the only reason I was able to keep hiking with him! He hiked super super slow uphill. His goal was to not elevate his heart rate at all, because he said that's what would tire you out. So he could hike for 25 miles plus (of course that meant getting up at 4:30 a.m. and hiking until 10:00 p.m.) and hike really slowly.
    Precisely.
    If you go fast uphill and tire yourself out, while you are resting on top, the slower hikers you passed on the way up will pass you up. At the end of a day, you are much more worn out as well, and will want to stop sooner.

On long uphills, I sometimes almost walk in slow motion, using the rest-step. Can go 2 hrs that way without pausing for a break. Breaks kill your mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    You know what's funny...that back in 1995 the most popular pack out there was the Dana Design Terraplane...about 7.5lbs empty...and we were still hiking 25-30 mile days back then, my mileage has never increased with a drop in packweight....: )
    Demonstrates that, uhh gear(kit) weight isn't the ONLY factor in determining mileage per day or pace. Kinda, uhh possibly, points to uhh some fallacies about what is sometimes advertised or believed.

Maybe, that 40 lbs added.... around the waistline..... has something to do with it? Or something like adopting a different hiking philosophy, the type of trails you're hiking, seasons, that hip replacement, etc etc etc

Mr Jardine is not only wonderfully helpful and insightful but sometimes stubborn, eccentric, etc. Oh, and fiercely self reliant and independent. What else does he have? A deep understanding of what works for him.

Remember Rick, the trails 50ish miles longer than when we thru'd. Those must be real tuff miles.

I backpacked some when I was young and then dropped out. My interest was re-kindled when I read articles on UL trends. For myself (and I suspect also for many middle-aged and older hikers), UL was never about speed, unless you consider slow hiking to be fast when compared to not hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I backpacked some when I was young and then dropped out. My interest was re-kindled when I read articles on UL trends. For myself (and I suspect also for many middle-aged and older hikers), UL was never about speed, unless you consider slow hiking to be fast when compared to not hiking.
    +1.

ul doesnt necessarily mean speed.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    what's funnier is that my Sierra Design two man tent 30 years ago was lighter than it's replacement and was an excellent tent that served me well. Still have my original pack as well. It's too large, but external, LW, comfortable
    Many external packs were lighter than their equivalents in the mid-late 90's when everyone was carrying 90 litre Terraplanes and Gregory Massifs. Those packs were nearly 8lbs, and a Camp Trails McKinely was 5lbs, and $300 cheaper.

Oh marketing : )

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Many external packs were lighter than their equivalents in the mid-late 90's when everyone was carrying 90 litre Terraplanes and Gregory Massifs. Those packs were nearly 8lbs, and a Camp Trails McKinely was 5lbs, and $300 cheaper.

Oh marketing : )
    Loved my camp trails external. Mine was the camo one with the hauler frame which I removed the horizontal section. A place for everything. My pack was light then because I didn't know I "needed" all this stuff so I didn't bring it.

I went through a phase later where I "knew" what to bring and I brought it in my heavy internal frame pack.

Now I know better

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Ditto this. About the time I turned 40, I dropped out of traditional backpacking with debilitating knee and Achilles pain. The UL revolution got me back on the trail. So my increase in speed was infinite--went from zero to something.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Perhaps its because lighter packs make doing a thru hike possible for people who don't want to or can't carry a heavy pack, and that these people are just naturally slower because of their physical limitations or their mindset. As someone who spent 4 months to go 850 miles I can understand that. I'm not sure I'd want to do a 4, 5 or even 6 month thru hike. And the more I think about it, the more I think that maybe there are parts of the trail that you'd rather see in the winter or spring or fall than the summer. In some ways seeing the whole trail in one shot is not the ideal way to do it. I'm starting to think the people who do long sections of 200 to 500 miles might be doing it the ideal way.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Ditto this. About the time I turned 40, I dropped out of traditional backpacking with debilitating knee and Achilles pain. The UL revolution got me back on the trail. So my increase in speed was infinite--went from zero to something.
    As the big 4 0 is around the corner, I am thankful I did most of my backpacking with lighter weight gear. I can put in 20-25 MPD in non-thru hiker shape reasonably well. If I had done most of my hiking using traditional-style gear, my knees would be a mess today.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Lone Wolf travels at his own pace
    Every time I see this thread I think: "Lone Wolf doesn't care about speed. It's just walking."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++