Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Seeking a female NOBO hiking partner for March 2014, around age 23

So I'm a single 23 yeard old woman from Chicago planning to attempt a thru-hike this upcoming spring (starting between March 20th-30th) and like so many of the lovely ladies on this forum, the majority of my family and friends have expressed concern for my safety. Personally, I'm not worried. I've travelled the world and gone on dozens of solo backpacking and camping trips before without any issue, largely because I'm smart when it comes to my well being. However, I realize that we live in a crazy uncertain world, so it would be nice to have someone to check in with on a regular basis while undertaking this great adventure. I don't need anything too personal, just someone to have my back (and of course I'll have yours!) i.e. camp in the spots each night or every other night, a partner for hitching rides into town, etc. If it ends up not working out, we can always go our separate ways, no harm done.

Ideally I'd like a fellow woman around my age who has some experience with backpacking and is also planning a solo thru-hike. If you think you might be interested, let me know and I can tell you a bit more about myself!

Not a bad plan to try to hike with someone on the trail. With your estimated start time, there will be a lot of people starting with you. If you're unable to hook up w/ someone before you start, you'll probably find someone compatible early on in your hike. You may even pick up a traveling family to hike with. On my AT hike this year, I hiked hundreds of miles w/ a solo female who hooked up with a loosely formed group of people. She was the only female in the group. The core group would fluctuate from time to time. Excluding a few days after returning to the trail following her grandfather's funeral, she hiked with someone the entire trail.

FYI - She left camp early one day in NJ and got spooked by a crazy guy on the trail (trail name = Lucifer). In clinical terms, he was 'Bat-**** crazy.' She ran from him on the trail & hide off in the bushes until the first of the family (3 other guys) came by. That would be me. She hiked by my side for the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by CityGirlTurnedWild View Post
    Personally, I'm not worried. I've travelled the world and gone on dozens of solo backpacking and camping trips before without any issue, largely because I'm smart when it comes to my well being...
    You're safer on the trail than you are walking around in the city. If you're "not worried" then just do it.

However, I realize that we live in a crazy uncertain world, so it would be nice to have someone to check in with on a regular basis while undertaking this great adventure.
    Violent crime has been going down for many years now. If your family is worried about you because you're female, that's their issue. There's no reason you have to fetter yourself and your freedom by shackling yourself to another hiker who may annoy you, be slower/faster than you, or simply be a bad fit. As far as "checking in", there are plenty of opportunities to do that on the trail when you go into town to resupply, or by carrying a cell phone with you.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

I'm a 60 yr old male, if I asked for a 23 yr old female partner, would I be considered a dirty old man?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    I'm a 60 yr old male, if I asked for a 23 yr old female partner, would I be considered a dirty old man?
    Actually, I know a couple of hiking partnerships of older men and younger women. They usually work out pretty well -- similar paces and no romantic entanglements. And their families feel better that they are hiking with a partner and not solo.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Actually, I know a couple of hiking partnerships of older men and younger women. They usually work out pretty well -- similar paces and no romantic entanglements. And their families feel better that they are hiking with a partner and not solo.
    i hiked with starfail off and on through tennessee, and we had a great time. i used to say"oh, starfail, if you were just 20 yrs older, and i was 20 yrs younger..."
    no romance, just a lot of fun.and i'll be hiking next year, so......send me a pm.

Journal Entries

Honestly, dont sweat it.
    About 30 new people per day will be starting the trail, and stacking up at the shelters in Ga.
    Most will be solo
    Unless you hike much faster or slower than everyone else, you will see many of the same people every day, and every night.
    You will naturally fall in with the ones that hike YOUR speed, and it only takes a day or two.

You simply cant hike for very long with someone faster or slower than you. It dont work too well.

Last spring I hiked a little with a 20 yr old kid I ran into on and off from Amicalola onward. He had previously corresponded with some people on trailspace about starting the trail at the same time. He started a day later than them, and by the 3rd day he had passed them up. I recall one or two of them were getting off the trail also already because of problems , knees, etc. Thats the way it goes. Dont forget 25% of all prospective thru hikers dont make it out of Ga. Dont get too attached to anyone for a while.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-26-2013 at 13:41.

I've met a fair number of the same combo as well. Most knew each other before they started hiking together, but they always seem to be great friendly relationships, with mutual advantages for both.
    That said, you are stealing them from us young'ins looking to find a nice trail friendly gal to spend our life with =P

Quote Originally Posted by TinCanFury View Post
    I've met a fair number of the same combo as well. Most knew each other before they started hiking together, but they always seem to be great friendly relationships, with mutual advantages for both.
    That said, you are stealing them from us young'ins looking to find a nice trail friendly gal to spend our life with =P
    Aww.. I hope you find the gal of your dreams on the trail. If you do be sure to come back and tell ur story.
    I just noticed that was ur first post too!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TinCanFury View Post
    Hhhhhmmmmmm... let's try these...

1) "Stealing them from us young'ins" would seem to indicate they were your's in the first place. So you still objectify women and consider them property? Insidious!

2) "Stealing them from us young'ins" implies that you believe the ladies do not have a choice in the matter. How can you not be pro-choice? Insidious!

3) "Stealing them from us young'ins..." old age and treachery will overcome youth and vigor any day.

4) "Stealing them from us young'ins..." I suppose the young ladies were just looking for an adult relationship

Last edited by Tuckahoe; 10-27-2013 at 21:24.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Oh come on, Tuck, it was his first post. Put the smiley at the top

TinCan, ignore the old folks. They get crotchety when they're not on the Trail. And good luck finding the hiker babe with whom you can spend the rest of your life. It's worth waiting...
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Oh come on, Tuck, it was his first post. Put the smiley at the top

TinCan, ignore the old folks. They get crotchety when they're not on the Trail. And good luck finding the hiker babe with whom you can spend the rest of your life. It's worth waiting...
    Tisk Tisk, Tuck... Where's that dislike button?!? I agree with bigcranky. :>) We are pulling for ya TinCan!

ChinMusic hiked with B-rocket. She was 22. He is (ahem) a lil older. They made a great hiking team. They didn't hike the entire trail together but they are best buds and will always be, I'm sure.

Images

You cant dislike me, yall have to love me! Mmmmuuuaaaahhhh
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    You cant dislike me, yall have to love me! Mmmmuuuaaaahhhh
    Not a problem with me, Tuck.

Hey- what's not to love? You have a very interesting job which you share with us on here. You have awesome friends, that I loved to meet. Ahhh... what else?? I'm sure there's more.. I'm not a big fan of that particular post of yours.. but YOU... that's different. It's the awesome Tuckahoe64 from Williamsburg VA...say no more!

I hope I can visit sometime.... are u in York Town? I have to visit the ship for a special tour too!

Is it just me, or has the discussion my post completely moved away from its original focus?

Is it just me, or has the discussion my post completely moved away from its original focus?
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze

Welcome to Whiteblaze. By the way your doing it all wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Welcome to Whiteblaze. By the way your doing it all wrong!
    First!

City Girl, it only took you one post to figure this place out. Some people say that what you have experienced is the charm of the website. Others will say its why many of the more experienced hikers have long since moved on. You will draw your own conclusion as time moves on. Did you notice that even though this is the female forum that twice as many men have posted up to this point as women? You'll be fine no matter what you end up doing.

Good luck on your hike.

Nope, it's not you. You've come to the right place for what you are trying to accomplish with ur thread. You could also try the Hooking Up forum asking for a female companion ONLY, if that's what you want.

I have to agree with what others have already posted on this thread. You will meet someone to hike with on the trail. That's a given. No harm in trying to find a person before you start. That's fine too.

Yeah, it's called a thread drift.

We like to joke around a lot too. Looks like you've already been welcomed by some of the BEST peeps on here.

Good luck with everything! Don't give up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++