WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: multi tool

Default multi tool

Looks like a multi tool might be handy to fix something if you get into a bad spot. But damn it weighs a lot. Maybe better to go through all your equipment every time in town and do maintenance there/then. Thoughts??

A multi-tool does look handy, and yes most are quite heavy to carry around. Now then with most packs being internal frame or frameless now that is one thing hikers no longer have to worry about as far as needing a tool for adjustment. Stoves need little or no adjustment, if they are of the type that do a light weight specialized tool is most likely available for it. Tents don't really need a tool for adjustment, save the rare ding in a pole end and if it is aluminum then you can most likely use some sort of make shift tool, and if you think you might need a zipper pull replacement take along a paper clip or use a piece of your bear bag line or tent guy line. So in my opinion for hiking on a groomed trail such as the A.T. no you don't need one. Now if you are going on a true extended wilderness hike then perhaps you might consider carrying one, but then again one would have to look closely at the equipment he is using and see what uses there might be for it.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

There is likely not a single thing it could be used for.
    If you cant state explicitly what it will be used for, without using the words "in case", it doesnt need to come.
    First aid excluded

You are only a 2-4 days from town at a time maximum. Anything that needs fixing,can be fixed in town in a day or 2 without carrying useless weight.

My current gear doesn't have any fixable components that a multi tool could be used for. A small knife to cut a 2mm cord or block of cheese is all I need along with a needle and thread and a few feet of duct tape.

I brought my Leatherman PST, a small fixed-blade knife, and a few other things - never needed them. I'm the kind of guy that brings back-ups of back-ups, live by the Boy Scout Motto "Be Prepared" and all that... don't need it at all on the AT. I've learned my lesson.
    If you want a light weight pocket knife then fine, but you really won't need much.

I agree, a multi tool is pretty much useless. A good sewing kit is more usefull. That is needle, thread, thimble and the little needle threader thingie. You need the thimble to push a needle through heavy matterial.

For example, on my last trip I noticed that my pack wasn't riding right - it was tilting at an angle. On closer inspection, I found my hip belt was about to seperate completely from the pack. It was litterly hanging on by a thread on one side.

Exactly how the belt-pack interface on this pack works is a bit hard to explain, but suffice to say because I had a sewing kit I was able to repair the problem and continue on. Although if I had inspected my gear closely before I left, I might have noticed this was going to be an issue, but who ever does that?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The only functions that I've ever had for a multitool are:
    -use the pliers as a pot holder,
    -use the knife for cutting cheese, sausage, guy lines and making tent stakes from sticks,
    -use the scissors for trimming nails/cuticles.
    -use screwdriver for adjusting backpack straps (my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone straps screw into the backpanel)
    -Use can opener and bottle opener.

All of these funtions can be fulfilled with a medium size swiss army knife (knife, screwdriver, can/bottle opener), and a small piece of silicone cupcake cup. Or a 1oz folding knife, a small folding tool Gerber Solstice, and use my bandana to grab my pot.

I keep one in the car with my town clothes. I have needed it at the trailhead a time or two.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There is likely not a single thing it could be used for.
    If you cant state explicitly what it will be used for, without using the words "in case", it doesnt need to come.
    First aid excluded

You are only a 2-4 days from town at a time maximum. Anything that needs fixing,can be fixed in town in a day or 2 without carrying useless weight.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. There's no way you need a multi-tool for backpacking. I barely ever use my tiny little $3 gas station folding knife.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I carry a leatherman micra, only weighs 1.75 ounces and I use it all the time.

My second choice would be the victorinox classic that Hikerboy posted above.

I carried my full size multitool once, on my first overnight A.T. trip and it quickly became obvious that it was no more useful on a backpacking trip than the cotton bluejeans that I had brought along.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I left a really nice leatherman in a hikers box because the weight I thought was not too much was killing me the second day out ...Now I carry a Swiss Army credit card ...the same size as a credit card with a light, knife, scissors, toothpick, tweezers and a screw driver bit
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

I carry this one all the time: http://www.leatherman.com/19.html

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    if that works for you that's fine - I found it handy on a sales floor for cleaning my nails... the pins are too weak that hold the blades. The blade goes dull too fast, and there is a huge difference in Leatherman vs Wenger in quality.

Over the years here I have had the chance to test lots of blades and make fuze sticks, pop blisters, and other fun things..

My preferred uber light knife is Squirt... Yes I know I have a few in my gallery - but squirt is my pot holder and stakes puller. It makes a great companion to removing bark from wet twigs for Qwiz's ti stove.

http://www.rei.com/product/802322/le...-ps4-multitool
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Garlic
    Images

You should carry the tools to fix critical items that may fail in really bad situations.

My approach has been to carry nothing that requires anything like a multitool to repair--no stove, no pack frame, no tent poles. So no multitool for me. Others should perhaps carry one.

On my last several thru hikes, I've been able to repair my gear with needle and thread, a single-edged razor blade, duct tape, a judicious tap (percussive engineering) with an appropriate rock, and a piece of wire I found at an old mine (the trail provides).
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I started out carrying a big Leatherman, then a smaller one, now down to the tiny SAK Classic and a small Gerber folding knife. It took me a while to realize that I wasn't carrying anything that had screws or bolts or whatever that could be repaired with a multitool. My repair kit is some duct tape wrapped around my hiking pole, a tiny sewing kit (very useful), and a repair patch for my Thermarest, which I haven't needed even once in ten years.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

This is why I find the thinking on these threads interesting. Because its a multi-tool - you instantly think "Repair" and type it out in your posts. - I don't use a multi tool for repair - It took me a while to get here. I picked up a pot that had been on the stove with my fleece wrapped hands and melted the fleece. Now I use the Squirt as my pot holder. The other parts are for foot care, cutting cheese and beef stick - picking up and moving the wood stove when lit. Yep it has a useless screwdriver - OK by me - but it keeps the blisters off my fingers. Just a personal preference and it had to do with the Swiss not holding up.

Oh and don't buy black ones - harder to find in the pack at night.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I am gearing up for a 2014 thru hike and as a sailor/cruiser always had more than enough of everything 'in case'.

I was trying to justify the weight of my leatherman or Swiss Army until I read this post - both are staying home. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by None yet View Post
    I am gearing up for a 2014 thru hike and as a sailor/cruiser always had more than enough of everything 'in case'.

I was trying to justify the weight of my leatherman or Swiss Army until I read this post - both are staying home. Thanks
    You need something to cut with, just don't need much.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Not all backpacking is done on a trail that passes through the heart of the most densely populated areas of the US. I don't disagree that a tiny cutting tool is all that the town-to-town AT requires. But my very sick sense of humor is imagining the what movie 127 Hours would have been like if James Franco were trying to cut his arm off with the baby Swiss Army knife above.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++