WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Family debate

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    MAX I dont know what map or clock you are looking at but the GSNP is much closer to 8hour drive than 4. You might want to check that out again.
    Yep, using google map, I get 7 hrs to the east side of the Smokies. Then again, that assumes both driving the speed limit and no major traffic or delays.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Yeah, you're asking the wrong people. This board has actually advised people to get divorced so they can thru-hike.

If the wife doesn't think it worth it(assuming she's going) then it ain't worth it. Especially if she a likely to keep vocally disagreeing the whole weekend.
    And that's why he should get a divorce. Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax22 View Post
    Help solve a family argument. If your financial situation allows, is it a waste of time and money to take a half day on Friday and drive 4hr to smokies to backpack say newfound gap to icewater springs to mt leconte and then down another trail over the weekend?? or is it even waste of time to drive down Friday after work and do only leconte Saturday and sunday????
    Duramax22, there are some key facts that you didn't share with us. Are you thinking of doing the drive and hike together or are you thinking of leaving you wife home while you drive and hike. It makes a world of difference in your argument. If you speak of the 4 hour drive as quality time spent together in which she can talk and you are willing to listen then the time won't be wasted and the cost isn't really relevant. Then, speak of the hike as "building memories." When I was your age (a long time ago), my wife and I did that sort of thing every chance we could. We built memories that we still value. The cost has long since been forgotten.
    Shutterbug

hhah there will be no divorces lol. we were having a simple debate on whether 4hrs is to far for a weekend. We are both avid hikers. Shutterbug, we always go together. She is a Firefighter and doesn't like the idea of hiking alone

Images

Help solve a family argument. If your financial situation allows, is it a waste of time and money to take a half day on Friday and drive 4hr to smokies to backpack say newfound gap to icewater springs to mt leconte and then down another trail over the weekend?? or is it even waste of time to drive down Friday after work and do only leconte Saturday and sunday????
    From Surf City I would look at Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands or as Kayak Carl said Linville Gorge. (first picture Mt. Rogers this past weekend) (2nd pic Linville gorge)Closer and just as amazing places to hike. Just my two cents worth.
    2013-10-26_10-47-54_314.jpg2013-10-01_13-46-14_387.jpg

Images

Man, I've driven to Blood Mountain for a day hike, twice! That's at least 4 hours one way, but I don't care. You get it when you can get it.
    can't never did

hhah there will be no divorces lol. we were having a simple debate on whether 4hrs is to far for a weekend. We are both avid hikers. Shutterbug, we always go together. She is a Firefighter and doesn't like the idea of hiking alone
    Again you are not getting to the smokies in 4 hrs unless you fly. 4 hrs will get you to Winston Salem maybe

Divorce your wife. Go hiking. You only live once.
    While you're at it, forget about the 4 hour drive, just go for it and thru-hike the whole enchilada. You can do it!!!
    It will only cost you about $1000.
    Sleep with your food and avoid shelters.
    Trail magic is good.
    Trail magic is bad.
    It's just walking.

There ya go. The best of Whiteblaze, summed up in one pithy paragrapth. No need to read any more advice.
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Divorce your wife. Go hiking. You only live once.
    While you're at it, forget about the 4 hour drive, just go for it and thru-hike the whole enchilada. You can do it!!!
    It will only cost you about $1000.
    Sleep with your food and avoid shelters.
    Trail magic is good.
    Trail magic is bad.
    It's just walking.

There ya go. The best of Whiteblaze, summed up in one pithy paragrapth. No need to read any more advice.
    You're welcome
    You win post of the day! By the way, whatever you are drinking...............I'll have a double.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    You win post of the day! By the way, whatever you are drinking...............I'll have a double.
    I triple that...Don't forget the BEST of whiteblaze advice is - Hike Your Own Hike so we can tell you how you're doing it all wrong & it's all good!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Heck, I'm not one to ask....I've driven 8 hrs just to watch someone fly away
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    From Surf City I would look at Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands or as Kayak Carl said Linville Gorge. (first picture Mt. Rogers this past weekend) (2nd pic Linville gorge)Closer and just as amazing places to hike. Just my two cents worth.
    2013-10-26_10-47-54_314.jpg2013-10-01_13-46-14_387.jpg
    We were at Grayson Hiiglands Sunday. Drove 4 hours round trip for roughly 3 hours of hiking. It was great. It was also cold, so pack the gear.

Call me crazy, but I've driven all weekend, just to see someone for an hour. I've driven all weekend to see a horse race that lasted 2 minutes. I've driven all weekend just to drive someplace new and check it out briefly. I like to drive. Four hours is nothing. With good company........blink of an eye..........not even a question.

How about just starting a big-azzed argument which leads to a big-azzed vocal fight which leads to her sayin' "take a hike, buddy!" Then yer free to go.......

Images

If she says, "Just do whatever you want!" Then go ahead and do whatever you want. Don't succumb to that passive-aggressive BS...
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++