WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ti goat bivy or MLD superlight bivy

Apart from the price is there much difference between these two.

I'm wondering the same thing. Looking at a borah bivy as well. Seems like the fabrics are similar enough. Maybe an email to MLD will resolve this question?

Quote Originally Posted by wyattcothran View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. Looking at a borah bivy as well. Seems like the fabrics are similar enough. Maybe an email to MLD will resolve this question?
    I just got the Borah Bivy with the silnylon floor, M90 top, and side zipper. While I've only had one night in it so far, it performed perfectly during a weekend trip in October in northern Pennsylvania. The humidity was relatively high, with temps in the high 30s - low 40s over night. Zero condensation. And this bivy is half the price of the MLD.

Quote Originally Posted by English Stu View Post
    Apart from the price is there much difference between these two.
    Quite possibly, YES. Absolutely. Put the price comparisons on the back burner for the moment. Carefully consider how you want either bivy to function in your usage, the options available in each, the materials in each, and, although you can't do this through the net, a side by side comparison noticing things like construction methods, quality of the construction, etc. I can't give an unbiased comparison as I've happily been using Mountain Laurel Designed gear by Ron Bell for the past several yrs. I'm proud to say I've had extensive real world use in varying conditions in various places with all the MLD Superlight Bivys I've owned and can't say enough good things about this UL breathable bivy. I assume you are also comparing the CURRRENT versions available online at their websites of both bivys because a few things have been changed by each manufacturer, such as the top face fabrics of each, rather recently. English Stu, do you remember meeting up with me in Jackson Hole Wyoming when I was thruing the CDT and doing the Teton Crest Trail and you were doing other hikes in the area?

I have to say one more thing. I've had the utmost prompt reliable amendable Customer Service at MLD and dealing with Ron Bell. I really like what he's doing over at MLD.

Another recommendation for a Borah Bivy http://www.borahgear.com/products.html. I used one for over 30nights and was very pleased with it.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I have the ti-goat and like it ok.

The issue I keep running into is by the time I pull together tarp, bivy, and accessories I can just buy a sub 2 lb tent.

Every time I grab a tarp, bivy and guylines from my gear shelf my cuben Lightheart Solo (just over 1 lb) starts laughing at me....

Images

There are likely more difference between the options on each bivy than their are between the base models from TiGoat and MLD. I have been using TiGoat for the last three years with no issues at all. But I wouldn't hesitate to use MLDs bivy either and I would fully expect to have the same results.

Suggestion: no matter what bivy you opt for, if you aren't in the habit of using a sleeping bag with no zip(a tube, just crawling, worming your way in), one should probably get a bivy with a side zip. If u r a big or tall person give careful consideration to a bivy with a side zip. If you aren't getting the absolutely most breathable top face fabric in a WR bivy give careful consideration to a bivy with a side zip. If you're going to be mostly pairing up a bivy w/ a down sleeping bag/quilt, you should probably be giving greater consideration to a bivy w/ a side zip. Pros /cons to most things in life. Bivys are no different Do Not get overly hung up on just one side of things pros or cons. Weigh it out. Look at things from various perspectives and look from wide perspectives as well as looking at the small picture. Do Not assume there isn't a learning curve with bivys. Do Not assume the curve EVER ends either. Evolution never ends - Not in the gear itself nor in how you use it. There is always room for improvement. Bivys use is a road always under construction. U want the easier simpler less to think about way out opt for a tent but don't expect the absolutely lightest wt shelter coverage either. Again, weigh out the pros and cons. Along this line Do Not just look at bivys as a shelter they also tweak a sleeping system, clothing system, hiking style, etc.

Don't know how the new models are. I owned a 2008 Tit. Goat bivy that I I lost it in the snow on the PCT in 2009 that I replaced with a MLD superbivy. The Superbivy was more breathable which was good and bad. Bad in that cold wind got through the MLD one when the Tit Goat would have blocked it. Good in that I never had condensation issues with the MLD but the Tit. Goat one would have minor issues down in the lower half. After 4+ years, I'm still using the same MLD bivy despite hiking almost 4000 miles with it. I use the bivy almost every night but rarely use my tarp (and my bivy/tarp combo is under 15oz so I don't get the complaint about the weight). The Borah bivies look good from the specs. I will say that the Tit Goat bivy was a nice piece of gear for the money spent.

I do recommend a side zip over just a chest zip for most people.

Dogwood, Sorry for reply delay I have just seen your post. Not me I think, I have been to Wyoming but it was in the late 60's so we are unlikely to have met.
    English Stu.

++ New Posts ++