WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Over 4,500 miles hiked on the A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    Sounds like the baptist church I was raised in. They made my brother stand in the rain because he coudn't answer a question. If you look like Jesus (or anyone else who couldn't be cast in a Wal-Mart ad), they shun you and talk about you behind your back. They preach that we should go to war. They say do not associate with non-believers. They say to obey not only the what Jesus said in the Bible, but anything in the bible that supports their arguments. They also said that you should obey people in authority (especially government) because God put them there. They also said if you do not give the church 10% of your net income, then you are sinning.

Wookie,
    Trust me, this is not your baptist church. I've been around a lot of other control groups and even comparing them to the TT is like comparing Kool-Aid to whiskey.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    Sounds like the baptist church I was raised in.
    I feel bad for you. Worse for the leadership there. However, it's nothing like the church that I go to; a bit more like the one I grew up in.

You seem to blame the messenger on this one. Nothing is wrong with the message itself.
    Just hike.

I've lived in the twelve tribes for 10 years, and I just want you all to know that I am totally happy and not in any way under the oppression that others here have described. I think it's silly to listen to these kinds of things about a group of people and not realize that it's a group OF PEOPLE...
    What would you say if someone said these kinds of things about you? If you want to argue and blame us for something, please come talk to us in person rather than hiding behind some silly online forum. Why, afterall, do you not see that we are just a bunch of people living together and breaking all the rules of America's rotten culture (if you can even call it a culture). That's why people say such ridiculous stuff about us. We're not the standard American TV-head junk-food-junkies that blend in with Walmart and McDonalds.
    We don't hide anything about what we stand for. All this talk about a hidden deceptive dark side is just that...deceptive.
    Come see for yourself at one of our festivals...meet our children and find out how they are REALLY treated...ask one of our black men or women and find out how they are REALLY treated...but don't take someone's word for it if all they have to say is how terrible we are and they don't show a hint of love or humility towards anyone in what they say about people.
    www.merrymakerscaravan.org
    come find out for yourself at one of these events if you really want to know...

James

If any of you do stay at the TT Hostel, you can have my Kool-Aid!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nean
    Soo....

And Chezikah, did you type all that in 20 mins!?!? Any time I get past 10 lines I find out I've been logged off. I'm not sure I've ever seen a post that long!
    Wow, that dude can type anyway! It took me about 40 minutes to read it. (and i'm still not sure what he said)
    He needs to hike the trail and learn how to simplify.
    I don't know if it's a cult or not but i think i'd like to check it out just to watch that guy type.

Default this chezikah person doesn't have anything to do with the rutland hostel

We don't know her. (I think it's a her, not a he.) But we do want you to know that she doesn't seem to even be a hiker or affiliated with the trail in any way. She just has a bunch of big opinions about our spiritual beliefs. Come see for yourself. Don't take her word for it or even the other people who say they know so much about us.
    Please, just have a little understanding that when you're radical in any way, some people are bound to get mad and start firing off their big opinions at you.
    We're just a bunch of people trying to find out what's really pleasing to the God of Creation without hurting anyone or being caught up in the mess of the system.
    James

Two cents:

In the past few weeks, I've met and talked with dozens of hikers, both Northbounders and Sobos, who stayed at the twelve Tribes hostel this year.

Without exception, they reported good experiences. They further reported that the residents, including the many children, were happy people. Also, while it was evident that this was a religious organization, the residents were very low-key about this with their hiker guests. People that were curious about the group, their history, lifestyle, etc., all had their questions answered. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY I spoke to mentioned being preached at, proselytized, lectured, etc.

I've held back on commenting much about this place because I've never been there, never experienced it first-hand, and have had little or no contact with the residents.

I understand that there are indeed folks on this thread who evidently do have a great deal of knowledge and experience about this group, and I respect their opinions and feelings, but all I know is what I've heard from hikers who were there in recent days.

And what they report is positive.

I respectfully suggest that folks try and keep an open mind about this place til they've experienced it for themselves, and then make up their own minds. But if this place is truly as bad as some folks are making it out to be, well this certainly isn't reflected in the feelings of hikers who were just there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Two cents:

In the past few weeks, I've met and talked with dozens of hikers, both Northbounders and Sobos, who stayed at the twelve Tribes hostel this year.

Without exception, they reported good experiences. They further reported that the residents, including the many children, were happy people. Also, while it was evident that this was a religious organization, the residents were very low-key about this with their hiker guests. People that were curious about the group, their history, lifestyle, etc., all had their questions answered. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY I spoke to mentioned being preached at, proselytized, lectured, etc.

I've held back on commenting much about this place because I've never been there, never experienced it first-hand, and have had little or no contact with the residents.

I understand that there are indeed folks on this thread who evidently do have a great deal of knowledge and experience about this group, and I respect their opinions and feelings, but all I know is what I've heard from hikers who were there in recent days.

And what they report is positive.

I respectfully suggest that folks try and keep an open mind about this place til they've experienced it for themselves, and then make up their own minds. But if this place is truly as bad as some folks are making it out to be, well this certainly isn't reflected in the feelings of hikers who were just there.
    Jack,

I understand were you are coming from, I do. I've stayed with the 12-tribes several days as a none hiker. The folks do appear as pleasent, but appearance are not always what they seem. They took advantage of one of my closes friends in her hour of weakness.

It bothers me a lot when a "religious" group will presure or in my case told their own members to break off all tides with their friends who refuse to join. I had that happen first hand.

Image your close friends, how much they mean to you. Now image them joining a cult such as the 12-tribes and being told to break off all tides with you. Would you want them to do it to someone else?

Those of us that have spoken out against this group here can not stop someone from stopping by or God forbid - become a member. What we can do is warn hikers, what the 12-tribes really stand for.

Wolf

Images

Question

[QUOTE=Wolf - 23000]

Wolf, do I understand that you have thru-hiked 16 times? Per the years of thru-hikes you have listed? That's amazing!!!

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

[QUOTE=Rain Man]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000

Wolf, do I understand that you have thru-hiked 16 times? Per the years of thru-hikes you have listed? That's amazing!!!

Rain Man
    Year of thru-hiked: AT 89-91,90,91-94,94,93-05

I think that's (1) 89-91 (2) 91-94 (3) 94 (4) 93-05.

The ones with dashes were multi-year sections. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker
    Year of thru-hiked: AT 89-91,90,91-94,94,93-05

I think that's (1) 89-91 (2) 91-94 (3) 94 (4) 93-05.

The ones with dashes were multi-year sections. Or maybe I'm wrong.
    Oh. Maybe I'm wrong, then. I thought muti-year section hikes were just that, and not thru-hikes.

Well, that's one reason I asked, 'cause it didn't make sense to me. I'm hoping Wolf will clear it up for both of us.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I've heard negative things about the 12 Tribes Communities from numerous other sources. I've had very little interaction with these folks so can't make an objective judgement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    Oh. Maybe I'm wrong, then. I thought muti-year section hikes were just that, and not thru-hikes.

Well, that's one reason I asked, 'cause it didn't make sense to me. I'm hoping Wolf will clear it up for both of us.

RainMan

It doesn't matter to me what someone calls it. 4 times "thru" is quite a good record.

I would suggest anyone who really wants objective information about this hostel should check out this thread, on which a number of actual hikers who have actually stayed at this hostel, share their actual experiences.

There is nothing quite like first-hand testimony. This thread is filled with the most amazingly bizarre slander....but the experiences of those who have actually stayed there totally contradict the horror stories.

Here is the link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16090

Sincerely,
    David Derush

Images

All 12 tribes members are seemingly perfect whenever they are in view of outsiders, especially at a high profile place such as their hostel in VT. It is a cover. They maintain a community here in Plymouth, MA that is very much under the radar. I have met with current members and about a dozen who have left 12 trribes here in Plymouth. They DO abuse children (I have witnessed this{clarification: verbal abuse}). They DO subjegate women(I have witnessed this). They DO have young children working instead of going to school(again, I have witnessed this firsthand). They Skirt the law and get away with it because of their secrecy(ie: no hard evidence to prosecute). They really are a cult. I met most of the members when they first moved to Plymouth. Just to clarify: I formed my opinions of the 12 tribes before I met the members who defected to the real world (The ex-members just reinforced my own conclusions.). They claimed to have chosen Plymouth so they could be closer to the Pilgrims because they share similar beliefs. The Pilgrim Seperatists were also a cult. A slightly less destructive cult, but a cult none the less. (PM me if you want further info on why I believe the Pilgrim Seperatists were a cult. Its too much to get into right now. I have studied the Pilgrims since childhood, trust me, by all modern definitions they were a cult.). The 12 tribes members will treat you with kindness, but they are the least "holy" of all the religious groups I have encountered in my thirty years. I would never stay at their hostel or do anything to support their community. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Stopped in there on my Long trail thru this past summer. Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Bunch of weirdos. Stay away from that place.
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred. And hatred leads to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

RainMan

Rain Man; Nightwalker,

I complete the AT 5 times, the PCT 3 times, LT 5 times, JMT twice and the CO Trail (COT).

Several of my hikes were straight thru-hikes such as the AT in 90 and 94, the PCT in 93, 96, 97, yo-yo (hiked the trail up and then back) the LT twice in 90 and again in 98.

Other trips were done in sections over several years, such complete the AT in pieces in 89 - 91, 91 - 94 ( I had already completed a thru-hike in 94 then repeated a 300 mile section a second time).

I use to hike a lot but now my current job won't let me hike as much.

Wolf

Congratulations Keith on your prolific hiking exploits.
    You have a good heart in a strong body and I always look forward to walking into you on the trail.
    Keep the faith and happy trails!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

RainMan

They are, although some give credence to 2-3 efforts depending on the circumstances, but "section hiking" isn't an option on your profile.

Default 12 tribes-Rutland, VT

I stayed here for 3 days in July and had a great time in a very relaxing atmosphere. I would highly recommend this hostel to the weary AT traveler looking for some friendly, peaceful and rewarding work for stay off the trail. The meals were the best I had anywhere on the trail! Yes, other hikers and I were invited to the main house for thier religious ceromony (dinner afterwards-really awesome) but hey what an experiance; like visiting another country-once again keep an open mind and have fun. If someone wants to stay and be part of their group thay have made their own decision. I or anyone else were never pressured into doing or believing in anything other than what we came with in our own minds. If I ever get out east again I'll be sure to make the Back Home Again Hostel a must stop!!!

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++