WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Your point being that he was living in the past?
    No point. Just conversating. If you want a website where every post needs to have a point I'd suggest checking out Trailplace. Every question is answered promptly and accurately by all 5 or 6 active members. It has a great signal to noise ratio, unlike WB.

Journal Entries
    Images

slow as molasses over there... I like it from time to time.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I like it....but its even deader than Groups are here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    No point. Just conversating. If you want a website where every post needs to have a point I'd suggest checking out Trailplace. Every question is answered promptly and accurately by all 5 or 6 active members. It has a great signal to noise ratio, unlike WB.
    Just making a joke regarding the change in grooming habits of the modern woman, mixed with a touch of nostalgia for the hirsute days of yore.

To wit, The notion that MS's observation is rather anachronistic.

Just making a joke regarding the change in grooming habits of the modern woman, mixed with a touch of nostalgia for the hirsute days of yore.

Perhaps, thereby, reflecting significant passage of time since getting "lucky"? Aesthetics differ and change, like global temperatures.

I like it....but its even deader than Groups are here.
    You made a funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    You made a funny!
    Yuc !

Now I see what you mean. Sometimes I can be sloooow. Now that I get it - that was a good un!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Presumably snail space has far less of a sense of community then?

When I created my account at WB, I needed answers to questions about backpacking and I got them promptly...along with a lot of noise and thread drift. Before long I had most of the answers I needed, but the noise and drift kept me thoroughly entertained and kept me signing in time and time and time again, and all of that off topic nonsense is how we built friendships beyond the singular subject of backpacking.

Fast forward a few years and I've now met and hiked with a half dozen of the better characters on the blaze, and I look forward to meeting many more.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

When I created my account at WB, I needed answers to questions about backpacking and I got them promptly...along with a lot of noise and thread drift. Before long I had most of the answers I needed, but the noise and drift kept me thoroughly entertained and kept me signing in time and time and time again, and all of that off topic nonsense is how we built friendships beyond the singular subject of backpacking.

Fast forward a few years and I've now met and hiked with a half dozen of the better characters on the blaze, and I look forward to meeting many more.
    Just remember it's not a popularity contest around here.

Images

cant have too many friends.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

you can find the answer to any conceivable at question by using either the search function or the articles on the home page. but whiteblaze is supposedly more than just an informational resource, its a community.

Images

Dad and son lighting a stove.
    Whisper light, they do not read any directions, the shelter is full and so is the picknick table so they are off in the woods about 25 feet away,

they get it together pump it up and dad turns on the fuel like wide open and lights it, the cup run over great big ball of fire, so dad yells defective stove she is going to blow, he jumps up and kicks it into the woods, gas on fire spewing out the whole way.

Lucky there were lots of people around, everybody starts stomping the leaves that are on fire out. One guy runs over and turns the fuel off. NOW everyone explains how the stove works. Dad says to son, "WE should have read the instructions" . Next they put up the tent............ it never ended.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I had just assumed that we are all equally unpopular.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Attachment 24632 uhhh no comment....
    It's ok. She's on her cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    what's the dumbest thing you have seen on the trail?
    I tread lightly in calling anyone else dumb(ignorant) as I've done, still do, and will continue to do many dumb(ignorant) things. Ignorance or being dumb is simply defined by me as not knowing about something. I also know NONE of us is above some level of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherGuy View Post
    Me. Back in 2001 I weighed 195 lbs and my pack was 65+ lbs. In 2014 I'll be 155 lbs and my pack fully loaded with food and water will be under 30 lbs.
    don't know if that was the dumbest thing, but probably one of the smartest things was losin that weight! "Weigh" to go, Weatherguy! ( Although, I don't know, 155 ... you might have overdone it a little???)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

There was once a person on the trail who had a Rambo "survival knife" (in New Hampshire no less) attached to his pack, enough canned goods to stock a 7-11, an old school western style canteen and wore work boots. Looked to be out of shape, too.

The shmuck forget his map too, became a little lost and ended up where he started earlier that day a "big" 12 miles later.

That guy was me on his first backpacking trip.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

there were 3 people who started from springer this march wearing monks robes, one with a hatchet, another with a machete, and one wearing a basketweave backpack. no sleeping bags, a coupla blankets, no tent..i called them the friars club,and they were absolutely clueless. they were off the trail after just a few days, which is good.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    There was once a person on the trail who had a Rambo "survival knife" (in New Hampshire no less) attached to his pack, enough canned goods to stock a 7-11, an old school western style canteen and wore work boots. Looked to be out of shape, too.

The shmuck forget his map too, became a little lost and ended up where he started earlier that day a "big" 12 miles later.

That guy was me on his first backpacking trip.
    Did you at least remember to bring a can opener?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++