WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Winter Trip Routes

Every year I do an overnight trip to the Mt LeConte shelter during/after a winter storm. I park at Sugarland Center or Cherokee Orchard (441 is always closed) and hike Rainbow Falls or Bullhead trail up the mountain. This year I'm hoping to have enough time for a 2 night trip and need to come up with some routes. Mt Leconte is not mandatory, but I want at least one night above 5000ft along the main ridgeline through the park where the most snow falls. I'm going to divide routes into two groups, with the first assuming I beat the weather to the park and 441 is still open.
    441 open:

Leave car at Sugarlands, get a ride to Newfound Gap, 1 night at Icewater Spring, 1 night at LeConte, hike back to Sugarlands. This is the easiest option.
    Leave car at Sugarlands, get a ride to Newfound Gap, 1 night at Mount Collins, 1 night at DoubleSpring Gap or site 23, hike back to Sugarlands.
    441 closed:

Leave car at Sugarlands/Cherokee Orchard, 1 night at LeConte, 1 night at Icewater Spring, hike back to car at Sugarlands/Cherokee Orchard. That’s a long winter day of walking from Icewater Spring to Sugarlands.
    Leave car at Sugarlands, 1 night at site 21 or 24, 1 night at Mount Collins or DoubleSpring Gap, hike back to car at Sugarlands. Another long day out from DoubleSpring Gap.

Where does 441 close on the N.C. side when it snows? Looks like a possible route from Smokemont to Peck’s Corner. What about actually walking up 441 when closed? I don’t want to get mowed down by the snowplow driver. Have I missed any good winter routes? Let it snow!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we do the same thing every year. its not always to leconte, but similar trips. if you can get in to (or near) cades cove area by road, doing a big loop to include Gregory's Bald, Thunderhead, and Rocky Top is always a really nice, snowy winter hike.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by George P Burdell View Post

Where does 441 close on the N.C. side when it snows?
    Just north of the road to Smokemont Campground. The campground is open all year.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just trying to "think outside the box", but if you can wait until 441 has been reopened, what about an out-n-back loop via Clingman's Dome Road and the AT...potentially staying at Double Springs and Mt Collins?

Images

jakes creek out of elkmont and miry ridge trail to A T and silers then to mt collins for the second night and down sugarland Mt rough fork to little river trail and back on cucumber gap trail. lots of ridgeline and the option to end early by using the goshen prong trail after silers.

we just did kephart to mt leconte via kephart prong-dry sluice gap-AT-boulevard-rainbow falls

Some great ideas, thanks. I really like the Elkmont route!

++ New Posts ++