WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default UL Tent Recommendations

Ok I know this may sound strange but I've been a hammock backpacker for years and I'm seriously considering going back to the ground. My brother is using a Henryshire Notch and after our last section hike I'm thinking about getting a tarp tent. I was just totally amazed when I saw him put it up in about 3 mins and pack up time took about the same.

I think I'm over the days of hammock hanging, putting up a fly, suspension, UQs, and having to drag around all the module parts. I say all of this because I'm looking for an UL Tarptent and would apperciate any feedback.

Requirements are that its something that will fit someone who is 6'2, 3 season or double walled, uses trekking poles, and has good wind resistance. I've considered getting a Notch or Six Moons Design tent. Any recommendations would be apperciated and I'd perfer to stay under 27 ounces packed weight and quick to set-up.

My flys for my hammocks are all cuban fiber but I'm realizing that I probably wanna lean more towards a silnylon tent vs cuban. A fly is one thing but I don't know if going cuban for a whole tent is a move I'm ready to make yet.

Garlic
    Images

Henry Shires makes a double wall Moment.

Images

TT Contrail. The 6 Moons design slopes at each end, your head will be only inches from the tent wall when you sleep.

Thru hiked this year Feb 17 - July 25 with a Lightheart solo in Cuben. Amazing tent, slept in it the vast majority of the time, (don't care for shelters), and it did extremely well during all the snow and later in 35+ days of rain. Had Judy sew zippers into the back side to make it as versatile as possible and the awning is very handy. Only problem, It's a magnet for gear heads, everyone wants to look, ask, feel, etc.
    Very sweet tent

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    ... My brother is using a Henryshire Notch and after our last section hike I'm thinking about getting a tarp tent. I was just totally amazed when I saw him put it up in about 3 mins and pack up time took about the same.
    Is there something you did not like about the Notch? What would you like from your shelter? Side-entry vs end-entry? Free-standing? Do you carry hiking poles? Will you ever be sharing the shelter or strictly one-person?

I am a hammock camper, (5 Hammocks, 4 tarps, 2 underquilts, way too many suspension set-ups) but, I also own a Tarptent Stratospire 2. I Love the design, the ease of set-up and the amount of protected space. I use the Stratospire when hiking with my non-hammocking spouse. Steal your brother's Notch for a weekend. If you like it, keep it. If not, let us know more about what want from yor shelter.

Good Luck

Journal Entries

ZPacks Hexamid SoloPlus w/Cuban Ground Sheet - Best and lightest tent I've ever had. Plenty of room even for another person if necessary.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I've treated myself to the 1½-wall Notch (the version where the silnylon on the inner panels comes half way up the walls). As you observed, it's easy to set up, and it's warm. Remember to seal the seams (or pay Henry to do it). I've had it out only a few nights so far, but they've included one night chilly enough to get frost on the rainfly and one night with a torrential downpour, and it weathered both admirably.

I got the adapters to use trekking poles with the point downward. The pitch feels more stable that way, and I don't have my pole grips sticking in the mud.

I'm 6'1", and it fits me OK. I'd imagine you'd be fine with it. I like the design a lot better than the end-opening one (which is that, the Contrail?).
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    +1 love mine .

"something that will fit someone who is 6'2, 3 season or double walled, uses trekking poles"
    Obviously the Notch does that and has pointed out you can have the mesh or partial fabric inner, but if you like something larger the TT StratoSpire 1 could be it.
    2 walls, 2 inners to chose from and same integral pitch (inner and fly together)as the Notch, larger floor area as well as huge vestibules.
    Note that both the Notch and the SS1 have a rain protected floor so in non wind driven rain you can keek one or more panels open.
    Handy when it rains hard and you need to get in or out of the shelter.
    If in wind driven rain, use the other side...
    franco@tarptent

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    +1 love mine .
    +2. I love mine. Simple, light, roomy. I tried a foray into hammocks this summer. I couldn't get over the futz factor. I would love a solong in cuben. I couldn't swing the upgrade though.

@ OCDave so far I didn't find anything about the notch I didn't like. I was just curious if there may be a better option. I think I'll take you up on the idea of borrowing my brothers and if I like it not giving it back.

I was also considering getting a cuban hexamid from zpacks. I actually perfer to stay in shelters now thinking about it a lighter cuban tent may be the better option.

@ ... a lighter cuban tent may be the better option.
    I have a CF tarp with doors and slightly larger tarp in Silnylon. While the Silnylon tarp is twice the weight, it compresses to half the size. I am not a long-distance/ through-hiker so bulk is more an issue for me than the extra 6 oz.

I have no experience with the Hexamid, so couldn't speak to the bulk/compressiblity of that product. I have made several purchases from Z-packs. Great service, quality workmanship and cheap shipping; I'd do business with them again, no problem.

Good Luck

Follw your brother's example........Notch.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    +2. I love mine. Simple, light, roomy. I tried a foray into hammocks this summer. I couldn't get over the futz factor. I would love a solong in cuben. I couldn't swing the upgrade though.
    +3 on the Lightheart Solong 6.

I thru-hiked the Colorado Trail this summer with mine. I'm 6'8" tall. Plenty of room for me and my stuff and weighs under 2 lbs.

First non-self supporting tent I've ever owned, but it was sturdy in the wind and kept me dry. I'm sold.

After talking to tarp folks complaining about their setups flapping in the wind and keeping them awake, or about being attacked by bugs, I can't figure out why they wouldn't grab one of these.

Images

Paddlefoot- When did you start/finish? I did the CT - July 31 - Sept 5 - we did the western Collegiates - What an awesome hike.

My brother is using a Henryshire Notch and after our last section hike I'm thinking about getting a tarp tent.
    +1 on the TT Notch. For a relatively tall guy like me (6' 0"), it's easy to enter/exit, and there's enough headroom inside to let me sit up straight, while still enabling me to stash my pack inside its bathtub floor (under my feet, as something of a footpad). I bought it for weight savings, but fell in love with it because it's just roomy enough to work perfectly.

Of course, "your results may vary"...
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Paddlefoot- When did you start/finish? I did the CT - July 31 - Sept 5 - we did the western Collegiates - What an awesome hike.
    June 23rd to July 24th. Fantastic hike. I did the eastern Collegiates. Hoping to do the western side of the loop when I thru-hike the CDT in a few years (fingers crossed!).

The Solong tent kept me dry and happy. It actually got it's most severe test when my boys were sharing it after my thru-hike on a trip with my family during a wet stretch at Mineral Creek Campground outside of Silverton.

Putting in a plug for the Six Moon Designs Skyscape - 24oz in silnylon and needs only 5 stakes (6 with optional pullout at the foot).
    http://sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html

Quote Originally Posted by DeerPath View Post
    ZPacks Hexamid SoloPlus w/Cuban Ground Sheet - Best and lightest tent I've ever had. Plenty of room even for another person if necessary.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml
    +1 on the Solo Plus, I just got mine yesterday and it's a palace for me at 5'7. Very quick and easy to set up and mine comes in at 19 oz with tent, extended beak, all guy lines, and ten stakes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++