WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Quick section hike in GSMNP

I want to do a quick section hike in GSMNP.
    I plan to do this in either early December or early February
    I plan to get dropped off at NewFound Gap and arrange pickup at Davenport Gap.
    Assuming weather is somewhat cooperative, what permits do I need to hike in the park? Also is my pickup point easily accessible?

You just need a camping permit in the park, nothing special. I would walk a couple miles past Davenport Gap to Standing Bear Farm hostel. It is a nice place to wait for your ride or you could leave a car there and it would be safe.

And he does shuttles too.

Great info. Thanks. So my main concern would be getting a shuttle to Newfound Gap due to weather issues. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by scojo View Post
    Great info. Thanks. So my main concern would be getting a shuttle to Newfound Gap due to weather issues. Is that correct?
    adequate

I don't know anything about you, so I'll just say that your main concern should be having the appropriate clothing and shelter for a winter hike in the GSMNP.

Images

Correct. The road to Newfound Gap does close for bad weather. However, they do keep it plowed and it reopens fairly quickly. But a big storm can close it for a couple of days in the worst case.

You'll need to buy a permit and make reservations for the shelters. Should not be a problem in the winter.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Piggyback. Is getting a reservation at a shelter and paying for it the same as acquiring a permit or is a separate backcountry permit required? Asking cuz the OP might have this question too.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Piggyback. Is getting a reservation at a shelter and paying for it the same as acquiring a permit or is a separate backcountry permit required? Asking cuz the OP might have this question too.
    If you are going to stay overnight in the backcountry of GSMNP, the permit rules have changed. Gone is the process of calling a ranger to get a spot at rationed camp sites, gone are the paper permits you pickup at any ranger station, gone is the ability to simply show up, fill out a permit, and hike.

For all overnight stays in the back country, you must not obtain a permit from https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=1. The new process requires you to make a reservation at every campsite and shelter you plan to stay at (in essence, every campsite is now a rationed camp site). You will also specify the number of people in your party. Once you've built your itinerary (i.e. reserved your campsites), the process forwards you to a payment webpage (payments MUST be made online now). After you make your payment, you will be sent an email that contains a link to another web page where you can print your permit.

There's an alternate permit for thru-hikers, but it only applies to those who are starting and finishing their hike at least 50 miles beyond the GSMNP boarders (i.e. doesn't apply to someone starting at New Found Gap).

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    If you are going to stay overnight in the backcountry of GSMNP, the permit rules have changed. Gone is the process of calling a ranger to get a spot at rationed camp sites, gone are the paper permits you pickup at any ranger station, gone is the ability to simply show up, fill out a permit, and hike.

For all overnight stays in the back country, you must not obtain a permit from https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=1. The new process requires you to make a reservation at every campsite and shelter you plan to stay at (in essence, every campsite is now a rationed camp site). You will also specify the number of people in your party. Once you've built your itinerary (i.e. reserved your campsites), the process forwards you to a payment webpage (payments MUST be made online now). After you make your payment, you will be sent an email that contains a link to another web page where you can print your permit.

There's an alternate permit for thru-hikers, but it only applies to those who are starting and finishing their hike at least 50 miles beyond the GSMNP boarders (i.e. doesn't apply to someone starting at New Found Gap).
    I did exactly as you described. Just confirming that that is all that is now required under the new rules. The website was ambiguous, imo.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

So my plan would be:
    1) Go to website and sign up for backcountry permits from NFG to Davenport Gap
    2) Arrange shuttle to NFG
    3) Arrange accomodations/shuttle at Standing Bear Hostel
    4) Hike intinerary
    ALTERNATIVE:
    Base camp at Cades Cove Campground(seems to be open year round)
    Do day trips on loops, hike portions of the AT (which seem to go very close to Cades Cove.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

ALTERNATIVE:
    Base camp at Cades Cove Campground(seems to be open year round)
    Do day trips on loops, hike portions of the AT (which seem to go very close to Cades Cove.
    Camping in Cades Cove isn't free... if you're hiking alone, camping in the back country would be cheaper ($4/night vs $14ish/night).

I don't know what your hiking capabilities are, but the AT is about 5 miles + 2,500' elevation change away. So you're going to hike about 10 miles just to get-to and return-from the AT. The closest thing to a 'loop' would be section of the AT between Russle Field and Spence Field shelters (5 miles from Cades Cove to Spence, 2+ miles over to Russle, and 5 miles back down to Cades Cove).

Also note that if you do hike out of Cades Cove, the trails that lead to the AT start in the back of the Cades Cove Picnic area. If you try to head strait to the trail heads from the Cades Cove Camp Ground, you'll have to rock-hop the creek that separates the camp ground from the picnic area.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 11-06-2013 at 18:15.

Yes, I realize there is a fee to camp in Cades Cove. Thanks for the info of the 5 miles to get to the AT. I just am trying to keep my options open. I am planning on going either in Dec or Feb, so weather may be an issue. I hate to drive all the way down to TN and then find I can't get to NFG due to weather.
    You are really knowledgeable about GSMNP.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Camping in Cades Cove isn't free... if you're hiking alone, camping in the back country would be cheaper ($4/night vs $14ish/night).

I don't know what your hiking capabilities are, but the AT is about 5 miles + 2,500' elevation change away. So you're going to hike about 10 miles just to get-to and return-from the AT. The closest thing to a 'loop' would be section of the AT between Russle Field and Spence Field shelters (5 miles from Cades Cove to Spence, 2+ miles over to Russle, and 5 miles back down to Cades Cove).

Also note that if you do hike out of Cades Cove, the trails that lead to the AT start in the back of the Cades Cove Picnic area. If you try to head strait to the trail heads from the Cades Cove Camp Ground, you'll have to rock-hop the creek that separates the camp ground from the picnic area.

Images

you'll have to rock-hop the creek that separates the camp ground from the picnic area.

or you can walk the road.....

which takes a few minutes longer.........but it aint that bad....

if yer really worried about weather---december would be a better date.........

if NFG road is closed----you could also access the AT from elkmont campground (a good climb though).....

or some other spots....

www.tnhikingforums.com double j's Avatar
    Images

Be prepared for snow! We got snow Saturday night at ice water spring also a bear came into the shelter. Temps was in the 20s. But I was fine with my 20 degree bag .

That is one of the reasons I am planning on Feb. (the bears should be asleep). 20 degrees does not bother me. Though in February I am not sure my 20degree WM Alpinlite will be able to handle it.

That is one of the reasons I am planning on Feb. (the bears should be asleep). 20 degrees does not bother me. Though in February I am not sure my 20degree WM Alpinlite will be able to handle it.
    February could also be at 5 degrees. I'm going there in January or February.

Hmm, maybe I will have to 'double bag it' or rent a true winter bag.

Hmm, maybe I will have to 'double bag it' or rent a true winter bag.
    Got a down jacket? Wear it while sleeping.

One last thing on backcountry reservations..... They can be made a month in advance of your planned hike. If you tried to make reservations today for a trip in February, the website would not let you.

That said, I always try to make reservations exactly one month in advance so I don't have problems getting the campsites/shelters that I want for my planned trip.

If you are worried about newfound gap road being closed, you could make a cool loop hike out of Cosby or Big Creek that hits the AT for a good chunk of your trip. I once did a 5 day loop out of Greenbrier where we took Old Settlers Trail out to Maddron Bald Trail and up to the AT, then we hiked the AT all the way to Boulevard, out over Mt. LeConte and then back down to Greenbrier on Trillium Gap and Brushy Mtn. That was a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Got a down jacket? Wear it while sleeping.
    Very warm down vest, down booties, merino base layer,balaclava, merino socks, mittens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++