WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95
    Kidnapping is a reach though...that's a scare tactic...they would have a real hard time proving that one to the legal definition and within precedents.
    If he did anything to prevent him from leaving the car and by holding him there against his will, that would be false imprisonment wouldn't it?

...or maybe I am just watching too many "crime shows" on TV.

Wacocelt,

Wow! With all the foreign terrorists attacking our citizens it always amazes me when one citizen attacks another. I bet this guy waves a flag and denounces terrorists. If people like him only knew that when they stand in front of a mirror they were looking at a terrorist maybe they would think twice - then again there will always be twisted people lurking around. Sad.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to the trail.

Default More Info

I was trying to find some info from the local newspaper and police department on this incident. I was unable to find anything. Could you give us a little more info on this. What police department took him in? I'm trying to find out if this guy was the same one involved in another incident.

Thanks
    It is far better to say this 'One Thing' I do, then these 40 things I dabble in"
    Washington Gladden

Images

Sorry to hear this and glad you are ok!

We've met and you look like you can take care of yourself. Scary that he'd still try something.

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

I was trying to find some info from the local newspaper and police department on this incident. I was unable to find anything. Could you give us a little more info on this. What police department took him in? I'm trying to find out if this guy was the same one involved in another incident.
    I'm trying to find some info myself, the Lee Police handled the case.
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Hitchhiking is notoriously difficult in the Northeast, for good reason...we have been bombarded for many years with how dangerous it is to pick up hitchhikers to the point that it is taken as a matter of fact that your average hitchhiker is out to do you harm. I won't even consider picking up a hitcher unless I am within 5 miles of the AT corridor or in a trail town and the person is obviously a hiker...meaning I can smell them from inside my car, with the air conditioner running, from 100 yards away. Not really, but hikers can recognize hikers pretty easily.

So, when considering accepting a ride from someone, be aware that Northeasterners are paranoid on the subject and anyone willing to pick you up may be suspect themselves, so feel them out first before accepting the ride.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Journal Entries
    Images

Which is why putting that criminal in jail may not be such a slam dunk.

Can't you just see an attorney spinning the story differently? 1) Hitchhiker turns agressive 2) Driver feels threatened 3) on exiting vehicle hitchiker reaches for something 4) Driver panics, hits gas 5) Driver returns to scene and ascertains hithiker is OK/Recieving help 6) Driver makes sure hitchiker knows where to pick up stuff 7) Driver waits 1/10 mile away while agressive hitchiker is getting back on his feet. 8) Driver is shocked to learn he is being arrested.

I have little doubt in Wacocelt's characterization, but I'm not the DA. I am just thinking that it makes sense for a victim of a crime to stay in close communication with the DA's office. Papers never get the story right anyway.

And perhaps also with an attorney who will see to the civil side of things. In a garden variety automible accident in MA (I know this isn't, but..) your medical bills have to reach a certain threshold before insurance will consider awards for pain and suffering, for example.

Rick B

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    And perhaps also with an attorney who will see to the civil side of things. In a garden variety automible accident in MA (I know this isn't, but..) your medical bills have to reach a certain threshold before insurance will consider awards for pain and suffering, for example.

Rick B
    Good point. But what about the special pain and suffering caused by taking too many zero days?? There is the mental anguish of being off the trail as well as the physical pain with getting back your "trail legs". I say, stack the jury with hikers!

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95
    Hitchhiking is notoriously difficult in the Northeast, for good reason...we have been bombarded for many years with how dangerous it is to pick up hitchhikers to the point that it is taken as a matter of fact that your average hitchhiker is out to do you harm. I won't even consider picking up a hitcher unless I am within 5 miles of the AT corridor or in a trail town and the person is obviously a hiker...meaning I can smell them from inside my car, with the air conditioner running, from 100 yards away. Not really, but hikers can recognize hikers pretty easily.

So, when considering accepting a ride from someone, be aware that Northeasterners are paranoid on the subject and anyone willing to pick you up may be suspect themselves, so feel them out first before accepting the ride.
    Wise words. I think this belongs in articles. If you have never had a ride you were glad to be away from, you are lucky. Be careful going off your route regardless of vibe. They may keep the fava beans at home. Don't wig if some guy offers you a "kiss," say no thanks I just need a ride. If it was a female you might take it as a compliment. Look the door and vehicle over before you get in. It has been my experience that the most harmless looking ones are the ones that have made my skin crawl.
    Hope that picture I took of you at the sign came out, and that you heal well.

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

For anyone who is morbidly curious about this incident, I went to court September 14th and the defendant was scheduled for a pretrial hearing on October 6th. At that point they will decide if he's going to face a simple judge trial or whether to take it to a jury trial. Either way I have to return in anywhere from a month to a year for the formal trial.
    I've decided to end yet another Thru Hike and head down to Biloxi Miss and help recover/rebuild for the cold season. Perhaps I'll give the PCT a shot in the spring, maybe even the Camino del Santiago, who knows...
    I hope you're all well!

Puck
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Totally harmless unless riled JLB's Avatar

The moment he wouldn't stop the car, he would have been looking down the barrel of my gun.

Images

You should be ashamed. All your doing is scaring the women. I can't say anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerdude
    You should be ashamed. All your doing is scaring the women. I can't say anymore.
    I thought that was the purpose of this thread. Scaring people is a popular thing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB
    The moment he wouldn't stop the car, he would have been looking down the barrel of my gun.

And then you would have run afoul of Massachusetts unforgiving gun laws. The Bartley-Fox act mandates a 2.5-10 year jail sentence for carrying a firearm illegally in Massachusetts. The other guy would get out of jail faster than you would, if he even went in in the first place.

Another reason that folks need to know the gun laws and get all the appropriate permits if they intend to carry along the AT. Good luck getting a non-residents permit in MA BTW.

Yeah, yeah, tried by twelve than carried by six and all that. But when the rubber meets the road, chances are, in this case, being carried by six wasn't likely, but if you pulled a gun on the guy, getting tried and convicted by twelve would have been VERY likely.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Images

Yeah, I agree - Let's not warn anybody (especially women) of rude or evil folks out there, let's give them a nice comfy feeling that all is well and they need not take any precautions. Sheesh!!!! What a bizarre comment!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

I'm a woman. I'm not scared. I'm glad i'm informed, and i'll keep what happened in mind whenever I hitch.

Although I've never hitched alone....If i ever decide to, i'll keep this in mind.
    At the end of the trail lies Maine, where all good backpackers go when they die.
    -George Steffanos
    ...but what if i decide to SOBO?

IMO the first advice was the best: Choose to hitch with someone else, not alone, regardless of sex.

Thanks for sharing this incident with the rest of us, glad you are OK!
    ad astra per aspera

Frieden and Ed - World Explorer Team frieden's Avatar

I'm glad you're ok. Thank you for sharing your story. I know it's not easy, and running the risk of personal attack to boot. I'm trying to plan my thru, with no hitching what-so-ever. It's just too scary in this country, even with a dog. Get well soon!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Very grateful you are alive and able to tell the story.

Hikerdude, sometimes fear is a healthy sign that you are grounded in reality. Hitchhiking is an activity that should be approached with proper caution - just as motorcycling, rock climbing, caving, etc. There are considerations and skills that if learned and practiced can make all these activies much safer.

Until I complete my study at Gallaudet U. Deafsmart's Avatar

Cool Oh please guys give me a break, this is valuable information

Clarity note from desk of A.T.U.N.C.L.E. (Appalachian Trail United Network Command for Law Enforcement):
    For my case it, also, apply to me. To across the street in perfect day in condition green, outlined in Michael Bane's Trail Safe: Averting Threatening Human Behavior in the Outdoors, ones shall encounter unexpect dangers in flash that nobody would prepare in spilt-second. Even worse for those who are naive of threats around, known as Condition White

What kind of scare and for which category are you implying? It is not typical concern thread we all read in this site. What about me? I am thinking twice on hitch-hike alone; if I do, as I have now realize thurs far, I'd better have someone to hitch with me for towns or something down (or up) the roads.

Sections devoted on hitchiking and people in Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail by Roland Mueser provide valid viewpoints and issues addressed by many veterans thru-hikers. Go to page 139-140 for Hitchhiking section; review and consider on People Problems with particular on Murder On The AT, page 133-135

Is that reason why we have collaborative platform like White Blaze.net, community of AT enthusiasts? Whether it is a place to find, learn, poll, share, thought-provoking discussion, or even criticism and viewpoint, anyone can contribute one or two or more voices unbiased. Always, as I must predict, either there shall be positive and negative, even in-the-mix, reactions. My mano-to-mano reply to yours, Bluejay and hikerdude, about scaring thing is for women only isn't true application to gender thing but think carefully before you say your remark(s); it also apply you, too. You know, if you say this offbeat commentary in person and {face slap}, may God help you.

I am glad wacocelt were able to share this incident with us, and best wish for your speedily recover. This could happen to me.
    DEAFSMART * /GA\:: /\2006/\ : ;/ME\ :
    While I am about to be struck with this name and this is not trail-given name for me personally, I am more incline for your feedback and comment on what formal trail name should I acquire. Deafsmart, the name came from my grade school days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++