WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pemigawasset conditions

Hey folks, I'm planning to do a modified Pemi loop this weekend. Has anyone been up there this week? How are the conditions? In particular how much snow/ice is up there around Lafayette. The whites are so unpredictable this time of year, it makes me keep going back and forth between bombproof and light. Snow shoes or microspikes? Atko or TT moment? Decisions decisions!
    Anyway, Thanks in advance for any info!
    Eric.

Well, it's getting frosty up there. The summits have been getting snow for a couple of weeks now and it is mostly sticking recently. 2" of snow in my driveway this morning. It's suppost to warm up Thur-Friday, so some of it might melt. Then we get more rain or snow or mix just before it gets cold again.

All in all, my guess is ice will be much bigger problem then snow this coming weekend and you might want crampons a bit more rugged then microspikes. You could very well run into some serious ice flows coming down the steep parts of the trail. Ice axe might be a good idea too, come to think of it. There could be some deep snow drifts up around tree line where the snow accumlates as it blows off the ridge. It can get really deep there in a hurry.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I was in the green mountains at about 3500' this weekend and there was considerable snow and ice. I imagine the Franconia Ridge line would be significantly worse. It's a beautiful hike in the winter as long as your prepared and know what your doing.

I was on the hancocks this saturday. 1 inch of snow on top. I think there was about 3inches of new snow since then and the temperatures have been sinking since Sunday
    Let me go

The radar showed it snowing a lot more in the Francoina area then where I am, a little farther north and I got a couple of inches. No doubt a lot more higher up. If it warms up later in the week, that could soften up the snow which will re-freeze at night, making it good and hard. Just the right base to encourage avalanches later in the winter.

I really hate early winter conditions. Just enough snow and ice to make it a pain to hike in. It's much better when there is a good couple of feet on the ground. With any luck, we'll have a reasonable base by Thanksgiving.

Sounds like its going to be slippery! I am really hoping that rainy/snow mix holds off until Monday. That is my least favorite weather.
    Thanks for the continued updates, I appreciate it.

Images

I will be hiking Galehead, South Twin and North Twin tomorrow via Gale River Trail, Garfield Ridge, Twinway, North Twin Spur and North Twin Trail (which includes that lovely climb up South Twin). I've already heard a report from a hiker who did Pemi Loop last week and said the section between the hut and South Twin and the section near Garfield Ridge tentsite (that fantastic trail/waterfall combo) is pretty nasty, meaning icy. I'll let you know what conditions are in that neck of the woods Thursday night or Friday. When are you leaving for the weekend, will you see this tomorrow night or can I just PM/email you?

@Slo'goen - I hear you on these early winter conditions. Will be thrilled when we have a couple feet of snow. Bring on the snowshoes!

Hey MamaBear,
    I'm headed up early Friday morning. So I can check this and any PM's. Right up until I lose my cell signal sometime Friday
    Thanks so much.
    Enjoy your hike too!

Images

Okay, eric1981, I'm back. Did the loop I described. It was full winter conditions today, and my hiking partners with considerable White Mtn. experience agreed. Snow depth on Garfield Ridge Trail, near Galehead Hut, and up the Twinway to South Twin is 4-8", more in drifted spots, with ice in place on the rocks under the snow. Microspikes worked just fine, not enough snow for snowshoes, except between South and North Twin (not on Pemi Loop) and even then only in spots. It did not look like anyone had come toward the hut from Garfield along the Garfield Ridge Trail for a while. It was however, a beautiful winter wonderland between the rime ice and the snow laden trees. Not sure of the exact route you're planning.

For more a few more details on my trip report and to check on other White Mtn. trail conditions, check www.newenglandtrailconditions.com, under the New Hampshire link. Views From the Top Forum also has trail conditions, some cross-posted from New England Trail Conditions, www.viewsfromthetop.com.

Excellent! Glad you had a good trip. It sounds like just my kind of winter fun, though I guess I'll leave the snowshoes at home.
    I'm planning on a clockwise loop but instead of going all the way around I'm going to head down to 13 falls, then bag owls head on my last day since I've skipped it my last two times in the area
    Thank you all again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by eric1981 View Post
    , then bag owls head on my last day since I've skipped it my last two times in the area
    I'll be interested in knowing how that went. Could be a full on ice climb up the rock slide. That wasn't an easy climb in good conditions and took a whole lot longer then I had expected.

I'll be sure let you know how it was when I get back.

I'm planning to head up to Lafayette Place tomorrow morning (11/16/13), early (6:30 AM) and hike the Falling Waters, Lincoln, Lafayette, Old Bridle Path loop. Thanks for the info - I'll report in on this thread also.

Images

Both of you, let us know! We also noticed no one had gone down Twin Brook Trail to 13 Falls from the Frost Trail junction near the hut. Not sure about Franconia Brook down to 13 Falls from the Garfield area; we didn't go over there! LOL!

It's been getting just warm enough during the day to make things sloppy and cold enough at night to freeze it back up, so it's gonna be slippery out there. Be careful!

Checked wx again. Looks good; still going. Have full crampons / warm boots. Should be warmish anyway - still carrying full cold weather gear and a small stove for a hot lunch. Trail reports form last week indicate snow and ice mix. If anyone has any further info - please share!

Hi!
    I made it back safe. Great trip overall. This was my first hike since I tore my acl in May so I was a little nervous. My brother and I Parked at Lincoln and hiked to liberty springs on day one. Saturday up on the ridge was absolutely perfect weather. Clear skies, sunny and relatively warm. The hike over to Garfield was pretty rough. Only one person and his golden retriever were ahead of us, so we were breaking trail for most of the way. Somehow we missed the turn off to Garfield campsite so we ended up going the wrong way for a couple miles then backtracking. Our plan was to make it to 13 falls that night but it was dark by the time we were passing Garfield campsite so we stayed there. The full moon was incredible and we enjoyed our dinner and drinks with some fellow hikers. Day three started out great. The steep descent was icy but still soft enough for microspikes to work fine. We turned off onto Franconia brook and again were the first ones on the trail. Things were looking good and our plan was to bag owl's head by noon. Unfortunately by the time we reached Lincoln brook trail, it was starting to rain and seemed to just be getting worse. I had checked the weather prior to leaving and I knew a weather system was moving in on Monday, but apparently it got there early We decided to skip owl's head and speed hike to the car. We were in the parking lot by 11:30. We spoke to a few other hikers that bailed on owl's head half way up, do to weather, so I feel we made the right choice.
    I still think Pemi is my favorite area to hike. At least I have an excuse to head back, since owl's is my last peak to summit there!

Big thanks to all that contributed to this thread and helped me prepare for this trip.
    Magneto, I hope your hike went well and didn't get rained out!

Stupid autocorrect. That should be "Due" to weather

Eric1981: great job!

I got hung up at work and decided I was too tired to go the next day.

I may try again a later this week when the winds are forecast to drop below hurricane force...

Images

@eric1981: Great job and even better since you've recovered from that torn ACL! Sounds like you had a fantastic time, and a perfect day for being exposed on Franconia Ridge. The same people I hiked with last Thursday hiked Garfield on Sunday, and the conditions weren't the best that day either. I'm sure it was a bit disappointing to leave the Owl behind, but I think you made the right choice. The potential for being wet and cold and in the middle of the Pemi is not ideal. It will still be there, and yes, it is a good excuse to come back! I think I'll be headed to the Owl on Thursday, depends on the weather; if it is nice the plan is to head to the Northern Presidentials.

@magneto: Aww, bummer. Let us hope the winds will back off a bit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++