WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gluten Free Fad

Images

Wait, wait, wait !!!! According to the article: Heck, some studies even show that if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Say it ain't so, Joe !

Who knew ?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I shuttled quite a few hikers this year trying to eat gluten free which was pretty surprising. I actually had to pick one hiker up north of Roan Mt. who was fairly incapacitated due to a Celiac flareup.

Great article. I love it. A disease for rich white people.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

so i guess i really dont have to buy gluten free water?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm looking for organic water...

Images

Thirty years ago, I owned an exercise studio and was teaching exercise classes at least four hours a day. It was the other time in my life, beside thru-hiking, when I could eat everything I could get my hands on and just feel better for it.

Anyway, I went to a yoga instructor's weekend in the TN mountains. The food provided was vegetarian, of course, and as healthful as caterers could possibly make it. But every single person at the table had some sort of "problem" that had them picking at the food, dissecting what was on the plate. My business partner and I hit on the happy strategy of asking the other ladies (they were all ladies, of course) for the rejected food. It was awesome!

Seriously, though, for a normal, sedentary American, especially a woman who needs even fewer calories than most men, ANY strategy which reduces the consumption of food can help you keep your weight down, and will be seen as helpful.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Wait, wait, wait !!!! According to the article: Heck, some studies even show that if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Say it ain't so, Joe !

Who knew ?
    That's groundbreaking news in some quarters

Claims of the diagnosis are up 2500% over a decade ago, though actual diagnoses are not.
    Sounds like the ATC thru hiker statistics.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

There are some folks who do not tolerate some kinds of GMO wheat well, I suspect that may be why gluten free diets help some folks.

i agree that there is a certain part of all the gluten free hype that is over the top (I actually bought a package of paper plates in SNP that were labeled "gluten free")!

The fact remains though, different folks learn their bodies react differently to differing foods.

Many people who cut carbs and processed flours from their diet find they feel better.... Certainly nothing wrong with that is there?

Hike Your Own Hike, and EYOD (eat your own diet).....
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    That's groundbreaking news in some quarters
    Mostly............. hind-quarters??
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Over-diagnosed and falsely claimed? Yes. However, "real" diagnoses are up too. For the real Celiacs and gluten-insensitive, figuring this out and modifying diet is life-changing. For others, avoiding gluten tends to reduce carb-intake, which compared to the typical American diet has definite health benefits (insulin, etc.). And please stop asserting that it is as simple as calories in and calories burned. That completely ignores the body's metabolic processes.

For most, moderate intake of grains and gluten are fine. Ironically, I know people who were fine with moderate amounts, went completely grain free for a long period (6 months or more), and after that could not tolerate them without serious gastric distress.

I try to limit grains, but I am very partial to the fermented ones in liquid form.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    so i guess i really dont have to buy gluten free water?
    My aspiring salesman son wants to market fat free water.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    We use water filters to try to stop from having organic water
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    There are some folks who do not tolerate some kinds of GMO wheat well, I suspect that may be why gluten free diets help some folks.
    For what it's worth, there is no commercially grown GMO Wheat. Yet. (I was on a wheat farm over the summer and asked about it. It surprised me that it's not a thing.)

There are, or course, still wide varieties of wheat.

Images

All I know is when I eat wheat, I get heartburn, 100% of the time. When I don't eat wheat, I get heartburn maybe 10% of the time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    We use water filters to try to stop from having organic water
    Ummm don't some filters use charcoal/carbon?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

When i was a kid, we lived on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
    Every kid I knew did, if you were a child in my neighborhood with peanut allergies Darwin would have pretty much taken you out of the pool very quickly.

Today kids can not even take peanut butter sandwiches to school, some children (a fair number) can get violently ill by just smelling peanuts. Sure, society coddles children more, and some of these "allergies" may be overblown...,
    but a lot of them are not. Kids go to the emergency room with blocked airways from peanut allergies every day.

Something has changed in our food. Maybe gluten free is overblown, but SOMETHING has changed in our food.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    Something has changed in our food. Maybe gluten free is overblown, but SOMETHING has changed in our food.
    Something has changed, but it may not be the food, but rather our overall environment. There's some evidence that we've (inadvertently) made things a bit too clean in our modern world - and with not enough to do, some people's immune systems respond by going out and looking for trouble. Hence the rise in various forms of allergies. Trouble is, I don't see us being willing to go back to having worms and eating dirt in order to avoid allergies. So we're kind of stuck.

As for gluten: celiac disease is a lot more common than most people realize, and is often misdiagnosed. And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some people who haven't progressed to full-blown celiac disease may still be sensitive to gluten. Since grain is not an essential part of anyone's diet, I don't see any harm in going gluten-free (apart form the expense and the inconvenience, which are both substantial).

You'll find that more easily than dehydrated water, which could be the next great development in ultra-light hiking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++