WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Default Winter hiking on the CT?

My boyfriend and I are section hiking the CT and are considering completing segments 1-5 (Waterton Canyon to Kenosha Pass) around Thanksgiving this year. From what we've read, a thru-hike of the trail is discouraged in the winter months, but we're wondering (hoping) that the lower elevation of the first 5 segments would make this section doable. Has anyone hiked these parts in the winter? Any advice is much appreciated (even naysayers)!

Thanks!

~Jess

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I was in the Lost Creek Wilderness around Thanksgiving last year (or was it the year before? Things blur together ) and the trails were fine until we got to higher elevations. Even then it was not too bad, just slower going. Good news: The CT in the LCW does not get quite that high up, though.

So, you should be fine. If it does snow before, all bets are off.

Bring some colder weather gear (layers, sleeping pad, etc) . If it DOES snow during the hike, there are places to bail if need be. Towards the end of this stretch it does get to almost 11k ft.

Alternatively, you could do the first 3 segments to be safe. At end the end of segment three, go into Bailey. From there , public transit will get you back to Denver. None of segments 1-3 gets above 8300'.
    Last edited by Mags; 11-14-2013 at 19:52.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

It is rarely much of a problem in the LCW before and around Thanksgiving, the place is kind of a "banana belt" (hence why we go there a lot in the winter) but there is a system moving in tonight over the next couple days. My wife and I are planning a short Backpack in the LCW this coming weekend (google up "harmonica arch") and we can let you know how much has fallen, and this will be a good indication on CO trail segs. 1-5. My guess is no problem, as Mags said, just bring the right gear.

Images

follow up on CT segment 1-5 conditions: We didn't quite get into the actual LCW this last weekend, but we were close. The snow should be no problem, only 3-4 inches of fluffy powder at the ~7200 foot level near the CT, the trails were either snow packed in the woods or fairly clear in the openings. I would take some sort of decent traction devices, like good old Micro Spikes, if you have them (and if you don't get some, they are really handy at times, cheap and only a pound). There will probably be more snow in the last dozen or two miles or so leading up to Kenosha pass, but I doubt if there will be enough to be a problem. Looks like great weather this week for a nice 72 miler along the CT ! Enjoy. If there wasn't so much going on at home this week, I'd be up there myself.

++ New Posts ++