WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Springer Mountain Parking Area Vandalism

I was out and about today and took a ride down FS42 to see some views with the leaves off the trees. I pulled into the parking area at Springer and it appears the vandals are back at it. There are 2 vehicles that looked like they had been there a while a blue Nissan Compact with FL plates and a White GM truck with VA plates with windows busted out and someone placed garbage bags over them and tape to keep the elements out. Just a heads up to long distance people that do not know the area it would be better to park at Amicalola SP for a long term parking spot.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Someone reported that here maybe a month ago and said the same thing. At what point are they considered "abandoned"?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Someone reported that here maybe a month ago and said the same thing. At what point are they considered "abandoned"?
    A FS Ranger told me a few years ago that they have cars abandoned there all the time. There was a car there then with Indiana plates with keys in the ignition and a sign on the steering wheel… "This car has been abandoned". It would still start up.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Not about the abandoned part there was another vehicle there that looked like like someone slept in it but it may have been a day hiker.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

This happens every year. Last year I seem to remember an larger Ford sedan in the same condition. Prospective thru hikers leaving their cars there when they start the hike? Talk about leave no trace.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    A FS Ranger told me a few years ago that they have cars abandoned there all the time. There was a car there then with Indiana plates with keys in the ignition and a sign on the steering wheel… "This car has been abandoned". It would still start up.
    I worry about the state of mind of someone who drives to FS42 and abandons their working car. Presumably they are planning a one way hike of the AT with the intention never to return? We could have an interesting discussion here on the pros and cons of hiking the approach trail in such a situation.

Images

Here's a pic of one from 2012 that I saw at the Springer Mt parking area
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

On the above picture ,there was food left in the back seat and a bear broke the back glass to get it. An example of someone controlling their own fate . On the other hand another example of an abandoned car --it stayed there forever ! One wonders why someone would do that?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I think its highly likely someone would buy an old beater car for a couple hundred $, drive it there, and abandon it. Its probably more convenient and comparable in cost to flying, shuttling, etc. It solves several problems.

However Im not sure how you can get away with it if its registered to you. Seems like littering on a large scale. Without a bill of sale, there is not anything anyone can do with it but scrap and parts. Maybe leave a signed, notarized title transfer in it with the buyer blank.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-17-2013 at 18:31.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ends up as parts if under 25 years...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The vehicles there in October that had bashed in windows definitely weren't beaters, both looked like they had been in decent condition when they were first parked in the lot. They had both clearly been there for months, somebody had previously put a bag over the broken window on the Hyundai, but it had collapsed into the car.

What really amazed me is that the car had been allowed to stay there for so long. The interior was waterlogged, the registration sticker on the plate was long expired and the car had been mowed around. It would seem like they would tow it at some point?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The vehicles there in October that had bashed in windows definitely weren't beaters, both looked like they had been in decent condition when they were first parked in the lot. They had both clearly been there for months, somebody had previously put a bag over the broken window on the Hyundai, but it had collapsed into the car.

What really amazed me is that the car had been allowed to stay there for so long. The interior was waterlogged, the registration sticker on the plate was long expired and the car had been mowed around. It would seem like they would tow it at some point?
    Abandoned for repo

I shuttled a pal yesterday and I saw the blue compact and white truck mentioned above. I figured I'd search and see if they had been mentioned here. Pretty decent vehicles to abandon if thats actually the case. The garbage bags were barely in place. After at least 6 weeks exposed to the elements, these vehicles are probably pretty nasty inside due to the amount of rain we've had.

++ New Posts ++