WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Newbie here looking for some advice.

First, I'm new here so if this is in the incorrect section, please let me know or move the thread.

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and to backpacking. I love the outdoors but typically my hikes are a max of full day hikes. I've never done an overnight stay on any hike I've done. I was recently in the catskills a few weeks back and after a long day of hiking, I was sitting at the summit and told myself that I need do this more often and I should start training for a thru hike. I've been thinking about it ever since.

I currently have ZERO gear (minus my day pack Talon 22 and an Osprey water pack). I've been doing a lot of reading online and am liking the idea of "Ultra-Light" for somethings, but still prefer the cheaper price of non-UL as well as comfort in tent size/options. Based off online reviews, i have a few things here tentatively picked out:

Item Weight Cost Notes
    Osprey Exos 46 2 lbs 5 oz 150 Light enough but still has a frame
    Kelty Cosmic Down 20 2 lbs 11 oz 125 No super light, but inexpensive
    Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 3 lbs 7 oz 280 Room enough for my wife if she comes along on weekends
    Snowpeak LiteMax Titanium Stove 1.9 oz 60 Good reviews
    Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium 4.8 oz 45 Good reviews
    Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite 12 oz 130 small and light
    Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter 2.5 oz 40 Everyone loves this thing
    Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork 1 lbs 1 oz 160 Not sure if these are needed as I don't use poles now
    Black Diamond SPOT HEADLAMP 3.2 oz 30 Good reviews
    Total: 11 lbs .4oz 1020

I really have no local options to go check out these products in person, but even if I did, I really wouldn't know what's what. I'd like to get some feedback from members here as my ultimate goal would be to use this equipment for a thru-hike, however these would be items I would be using during weekend trips/hikes until I would have the money saved up where I could take off work for 5-7 months.

thanks!

Get the best sleeping bag you can comfortably afford. Take your pole budget which you don't currently use and upgrade the bag. Maybe sacrifice the stove for a cat food can alcohol stove if you need more for the bag.

Western Mountaineering
    Enlightened Equipment Quilts
    Marmot

You might find the exos 46 a little small for anything but a summer overnight where you don't need much for clothes or food. 60L is more typical for longer trips.

For example, the pack has 2807 cu-in of volume. I looked up the specs for you base gear (bag/matt/tent) and they add up to about 1700 cu-in. That only leaves about 1100 cu-in left for everything else.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 11-04-2013 at 17:26.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Get the best sleeping bag you can comfortably afford. Take your pole budget which you don't currently use and upgrade the bag. Maybe sacrifice the stove for a cat food can alcohol stove if you need more for the bag.

Western Mountaineering
    Enlightened Equipment Quilts
    Marmot
    Thanks Rasty for the input. That's a very valid point about the poles, however I've been told for any long distance hikes, poles are a good idea (I always have sore knees from coming down).

As for the sleeping bag, would the issue just be weight? Is $200 worth the pound I'd save? (serious question because I honestly have no idea).

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You might find the exos 46 a little small for anything but a summer overnight where you don't need much for clothes or food. 60L is more typical for longer trips.
    Thanks, I was unsure about the size of the bag because I'm not sure what all I could fit in. The Exos 58 (I think) is only a few oz heavier so would that be a good option?

Quote Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
    Thanks Rasty for the input. That's a very valid point about the poles, however I've been told for any long distance hikes, poles are a good idea (I always have sore knees from coming down).

As for the sleeping bag, would the issue just be weight? Is $200 worth the pound I'd save? (serious question because I honestly have no idea).
    The Kelty Cosmic is a decent bag but realistically it's a 35 degree bag. Your going to need a warmer bag. In mid March it's anywhere from 10 to 50 degrees at night in the Smokies. If you start later in April to avoid the cold then you will have the same situation in Maine at the end of your hike.

I really have no local options to go check out these products in person, but even if I did, I really wouldn't know what's what.
    Isn't there an Eastern Mountain Sports in Lancaster? I know sometimes their selection can be limited, but it's a good place to at least check out gear and then you can go online and find the best bargains. Also, Cabela's in Hamburg, PA might have some of the stuff you're looking at. They're not great for lightweight gear, but it's worth a trip (besides, it's an awesome store).
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Consider getting one of the self inflating Thermarests instead of the Neoair. I think the Neoair would be a PITA to use, and at 30 you don't necessarily have to choose what may be the most comfortable.

The Kelty Cosmic is a decent bag but realistically it's a 35 degree bag. Your going to need a warmer bag. In mid March it's anywhere from 10 to 50 degrees at night in the Smokies. If you start later in April to avoid the cold then you will have the same situation in Maine at the end of your hike.
    So what rated bag should I look at. What about summer months, would I be too hot? Or do people typically leave a sleeping bag behind during the summer months?
    Last edited by nebulight; 11-04-2013 at 17:15.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Isn't there an Eastern Mountain Sports in Lancaster? I know sometimes their selection can be limited, but it's a good place to at least check out gear and then you can go online and find the best bargains. Also, Cabela's in Hamburg, PA might have some of the stuff you're looking at. They're not great for lightweight gear, but it's worth a trip (besides, it's an awesome store).
    There is an EMS in Lancaster, but it's a very small store. I might be able to check out packs, but I'm not sure about their sleeping bag selection. I figured the sleeping bag and pack I need to buy in person. Maybe the pad too.

I've been close to Cabelas, but I thought it was just a hunting store?

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Consider getting one of the self inflating Thermarests instead of the Neoair. I think the Neoair would be a PITA to use, and at 30 you don't necessarily have to choose what may be the most comfortable.
    +1 on this ... I went with the Prolite, one of the "self inflating" pads because I was afraid that the Neoair is too fragile. I think the Prolite is a great pad and, at 16 ounces for a 72 inch long version, good on weight. They are also much cheaper. I got mine on sale for $60 during the holiday season last year.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Do you have models numbers/names so I can do some research? What about weight and packed size?

So what rated bag should I look at. What about summer months, would I be too hot? Or do people typically leave a sleeping bag behind during the summer months?
    I have a cheap 40 bag and a 0 degree Enlightened Equipment quilt. I'm also using my down jacket, pants and socks to act as a sleep system. I'm not "normal" but this system works for me because I'm comfortable in camp without having to be in my sleeping bag to stay warm. If I only had one bag for 3 seasons it would be a 20 degree Western Mountaineering.

Images

I know you mentioned that you don't live near any outfitters, but I would advise you take the trip out to an REI or EMS and try on some different packs. You can watch youtube videos to figure out how to measure yourself and how a bag should sit on your hips. I spent 5 years walking around with a bag that was way to big for me without even knowing it. When I got a new bag that fit properly, it felt like I traded in a bag full of bricks for a bag full of feathers. My only other suggestion is, before your spend a grand on all of this gear, I would check out craigslist and whiteblaze for some gently used gear at a good price. My trail name is second hand, because I purchased 90% of what I own used. Don't get me wrong, I always did a lot of research and tried to make intelligent purchases, but the more you hike, the more your going to relize what you need and want. You can spend a lot of cash up front and find yourself not using 90% of the gear a year later. Things like Kelty sleeping bags, Osprey backpacks and Big Agnes are pretty common in the second hand market.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I'm glad that you asked cuz I was going to answer it anyway Most thru hikers and section hikers (at least I do it) have two bags - one for the colder shoulder seasons (fall and spring) and a lighter weight bag for summer. If you thru hike you're probably going to want two. I haven't done this but I certainly don't lug my 20 degree quilt when my 50 degree bag will do just fine in July. Also, pay attention to Rasty's "sleep system" comment - a lot of wisdom in those two words. My summer bag is technically a cheap, $20 sleeping bag liner from Amazon that weighs a bit over a pound. But I also factor my clothes into sleeping comfortably if summer temps dip into the 40s. During the winter I bring a 20 degree synthetic quilt (homemade) that sleeps two. My wife and I together add about 10 degree to that 20 degree quilt, plus the clothes I choose for cold weather and I'd be able to make it through a 0 degree night without any fear for me or my wife's life (though we wouldn't choose to do it if it was expected).

The clothes you take can augment your sleeping bag by 15 degrees or more. If you need to save money and are going in the colder months, get thick fleece jackets (front zip if available) from the second hand store. Bring flannel pajama bottoms for camp pants. Sure, you could buy smartwool or icebreakers for $100+ a garment and they are great. But when you're starting on a budget, fleece and thick flannel can keep you just as warm even if you look like the stay-puff marshmallow man

If I was in your shoes and just starting out, I would focus my time on fair weather/warm weather camping. You need less gear and it is cheaper. As you gain experience and learn what you like, move up to more challenging weather and more technical gear/clothing. I would also borrow as much equipment as I could from friends and try it out to learn what I liked and didn't like. That backpack might feel ok in the store but after 20 miles you might curse the day you bought it. Experience is worth its weight in gold.

Good luck! Enjoy the hiking.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I have a cheap 40 bag and a 0 degree Enlightened Equipment quilt. I'm also using my down jacket, pants and socks to act as a sleep system. I'm not "normal" but this system works for me because I'm comfortable in camp without having to be in my sleeping bag to stay warm. If I only had one bag for 3 seasons it would be a 20 degree Western Mountaineering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I'm glad that you asked cuz I was going to answer it anyway Most thru hikers and section hikers (at least I do it) have two bags - one for the colder shoulder seasons (fall and spring) and a lighter weight bag for summer. If you thru hike you're probably going to want two. I haven't done this but I certainly don't lug my 20 degree quilt when my 50 degree bag will do just fine in July. Also, pay attention to Rasty's "sleep system" comment - a lot of wisdom in those two words. My summer bag is technically a cheap, $20 sleeping bag liner from Amazon that weighs a bit over a pound. But I also factor my clothes into sleeping comfortably if summer temps dip into the 40s. During the winter I bring a 20 degree synthetic quilt (homemade) that sleeps two. My wife and I together add about 10 degree to that 20 degree quilt, plus the clothes I choose for cold weather and I'd be able to make it through a 0 degree night without any fear for me or my wife's life (though we wouldn't choose to do it if it was expected).

The clothes you take can augment your sleeping bag by 15 degrees or more. If you need to save money and are going in the colder months, get thick fleece jackets (front zip if available) from the second hand store. Bring flannel pajama bottoms for camp pants. Sure, you could buy smartwool or icebreakers for $100+ a garment and they are great. But when you're starting on a budget, fleece and thick flannel can keep you just as warm even if you look like the stay-puff marshmallow man

If I was in your shoes and just starting out, I would focus my time on fair weather/warm weather camping. You need less gear and it is cheaper. As you gain experience and learn what you like, move up to more challenging weather and more technical gear/clothing. I would also borrow as much equipment as I could from friends and try it out to learn what I liked and didn't like. That backpack might feel ok in the store but after 20 miles you might curse the day you bought it. Experience is worth its weight in gold.

Good luck! Enjoy the hiking.
    Thanks for the comments guys. I assumed that clothing would be part of the sleep system. Having two bags sounds like a great idea.

Also take a look at the ULA circuit backpack. Light, comfortable and made in America.

What SH said above about getting a pack that fits. That's one of the most important things you can do. I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. It's really a 1.5 person tent, but my wife and I slept in it a couple of nights on the PCT, so it'll work for you. It's lighter than the Copper Spur. Bags are rarely accurate in their temp ratings ...

There is an EMS in Lancaster, but it's a very small store. I might be able to check out packs, but I'm not sure about their sleeping bag selection. I figured the sleeping bag and pack I need to buy in person. Maybe the pad too.

I've been close to Cabelas, but I thought it was just a hunting store?

Cabela's is primarily hunting, but they do have a camping section and I've been surprised to find Big Agnes and North Face sleeping bags there, in addition to the heavy car camping crap they sell. They also carry a pretty wide variety of Thermarest pads, although selection will vary by store. At any rate, it's worth a look. And it's a fun store.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

How tall are you? The Black Diamond Alpine poles only extend to 125cm (could be off 5cm going from memory) and may be short for anyone over 5'9". I'm 5'11" and use poles that adjust up to 135cm which I normally set at 130cm unless going down hill for an extended time then I adjust longer. The Black Diamond Distance FL poles are great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++