Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Re: Black Panthers. I know what I saw. When I reported it to a Park Ranger at Paynes Prarie, he actually snarled at me and called me a liar. He needs to talk to the old-timers in Wacahoota and I'm talking about families that settled there from before the Civil War and people who were cowboys on Paynes Prairie and traded cattle with the Seminole Indians into the 1960's when most of North FL was open range.

All experts do these days is rewrite history. Just look at what they are trying to do to our founding Fathers.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Re: Black Panthers. I know what I saw. When I reported it to a Park Ranger at Paynes Prarie, he actually snarled at me and called me a liar. He needs to talk to the old-timers in Wacahoota and I'm talking about families that settled there from before the Civil War and people who were cowboys on Paynes Prairie and traded cattle with the Seminole Indians into the 1960's when most of North FL was open range.

All experts do these days is rewrite history. Just look at what they are trying to do to our founding Fathers.
    I'm glad you teach music and not history.

Signed,
    5th generation Floridian.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Good one, WM.

1: There are no black 'panthers' in Florida. Maybe a jagurandi which are darker colored.
    2: The introduction of the Texas cougar did indeed save the Florida panther from extinction. They still have the giant problem of shrinking land use and the inability for a female to cross the Caloosahatchee, (males have crossed, but females have not, to researcher's knowledge) and to establish a breeding population outside of SW Florida. But, the Texas cougar did save the Florida panther. The Texas cougars didn't just wander away.
    3: Etoniah was a wonderful area to hike in, I wish I'd known about it prior to my thru-hike.

For reference to black 'panther' sightings: http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/..._was_just.html
    http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/07/big-...-in-louisiana/ See video at the end of this

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mistiaggie View Post
    1: There are no black 'panthers' in Florida. Maybe a jagurandi which are darker colored.
    2: The introduction of the Texas cougar did indeed save the Florida panther from extinction. They still have the giant problem of shrinking land use and the inability for a female to cross the Caloosahatchee, (males have crossed, but females have not, to researcher's knowledge) and to establish a breeding population outside of SW Florida. But, the Texas cougar did save the Florida panther. The Texas cougars didn't just wander away.
    3: Etoniah was a wonderful area to hike in, I wish I'd known about it prior to my thru-hike.

For reference to black 'panther' sightings: http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/..._was_just.html
    http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/07/big-...-in-louisiana/ See video at the end of this

I looked up the Jaguarundi and that is not what I saw. This is what I saw,

blackpanther.jpg

except he was old and emaciated. The locals even knew about the abandoned house where he lived.

He was big and long with a very long tail and he was black. I know this cuz I caught him in the High beam headlights as we made that sharp turn on CR 320 right off of Williston Rd. He was not a big domestic cat.
    Ya'll just have to accept they were here (That was 30 years ago) or just call us NFL hillbillies liars.

It was hard to see the pics in detail on my tablet. But from the size, I'd say bears. I ride my horses there once in a while. There are many bears in Etonia. They get pretty big.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Etoniah is a very nice section of the FT.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++