WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tablets on the AT (again)...

I'm curious about the experiences of you thru or section hikers this year, carrying an iPad Mini, Nexus 7, or other Android tablet, especially bloggers.
    I know some bloggers do just fine with an iPhone, but it seems to me that a tablet, especially in town, is worth the weight. The same for reading; I can read a book on a phone, but it is painful compared to the tablet.
    Negatives? Keeping it charged, dry, worry about theft? Thanks for inputs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Curious George

I've never been on the AT (!), but I've taken my iPad out on 3-5 night hikes. Although I thought it was worth the weight-- 25 ounces-- it didn't have the power to stay charged through the entire hike unless I was frugal with its use. If I were doing a thru-hike, I think I'd be compelled to take a charge cord; but even then, the charge wouldn't hold long enough for my liking.

My rationalization is "I'm in the wilderness, so I should avoid technology to be more in tune with my surroundings."
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

I have never used a tablet on either one of my thru's but i have seen people use a thing called Nook.

The new iPad Mini with retina is 12 ounces and probably pushing a pound once you get a protective case. It is a nice device but not worth a pound of extra weight for me. But I don't blog on the trail and don't feel a need to be always connected. If I decide to take an electronic device on a long distance hike, it would probably be the simplest kindle which is around 5.5 ounces I believe.

My Kindle Fire (the original) runs about 8 hours on a charge. Since you can re-charge every 3 to 5 days that allows a bit over an hour of use a day. I only used it on the trail to read a chapter or two of a book at night. In town when accessing the internet AC power is available so that's not an issue for the increased power drain or length of time being used.

Keeping it dry is no problem, just put it in a ziplock. I used a padded case, but a simple bubble warp mailer envelope will do. Just be careful if you like to sit on your pack. The extra pound is well worth it to me on a long hike. It's a lot easier to do ones personal email and facebook stuff on your own device then on someone elses, like a libary, hostel or motel's computer and I don't do smartphones.

I'm looking to replace my Kindle Fire with a SERO 7pro since it has slightly better battery life (9hrs), GSP and a microSD slot and it's reasonably inexpensive. I don't remember if it has a camara built in, but if it does it's not a great one. iPADS and other "name brand" tablets are way too expensive.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the replies!
    Too bad they don't make an ereader Kindle, black and white, that you can do simple stuff like log onto the internet, check email, but still get the long battery life. I don't need the movies, games, etc of the more powerful (expensive!) tablets, but it seems like they always are trying to raise the bar.
    That said, a tablet with 8-10 hours of battery life for $200 or less is a good price point, where I won't mind if it gets a ding or two.

Curious George

Quote Originally Posted by A/B View Post
    Thanks for the replies!
    Too bad they don't make an ereader Kindle, black and white, that you can do simple stuff like log onto the internet, check email, but still get the long battery life.
    If you can find a used Kindle Keyboard 3G, the "experimental" browser can be used on 3G to do simple things on the internet but the experience is pretty bad overall. It might be good enough to just check email but it is like going back to the stone age compared to any modern device.

On the new Kindle Paperwhite, they have the same lousy experimental browser but they have locked it down on 3G to only access amazon.com and wikipedia.

Over wifi, the experimental browser can be used on any kindle. But again the experience is really poor.

Ran into Stilts a SOBO in VA last month. He loved having a Kindle, but had broken two of them ( I think his mother had sent the second one to him). While he enjoyed having it, he was not going to bother replacing the last one due to the risk of breaking another. So guess while a tablet/kindle can be nice to have, be careful.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

Default re: Tablets on the AT - Earl Android Tablet

I plan to take the new Earl Android tablet for a spin on the AT next Spring. It has a solar panel on the back and with the recent re-design dropping the kickstand, it will have an improved battery.

They are dropping the radio transmitter power from 5W to 2W, but giving the tablet a full 2M and 70CM amateur radio capability. That's exciting as I got my ham radio license last month. I can save weight by leaving my Baofeng handi-talkie at home and just take the Earl and an ultralight wire antenna. I look forward to having NOAA weather alert capability.

They're making good headway on the black and white e-ink screen which will also conserve power ala a Kindle.

The future is shaping up nicely...
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with AT&T service. 3.3 wide, 6.2 high, 0.5 thick in a protective case. Weighs like a brick + xtra battery. In theory a smart phone should do anything a GPS can and then some, in theory. I'll still carry a compass and a map. I'm anal like that.

cvt
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Check out the Nokia Lumia 1520 that comes out this week. It'll be at Microsoft Store, so definitely stop by if you have the chance. It has full HD resolution on a big 6 in screen and looks to have the brightest screen out there, brighter than the Nexus 5 and iPhone 5 anyway, and unlike those two, you can multitask with it and insert a microSD.

Images

Fwiw, the 1520 was already on display yesterday.

Anyone use a Kindle compared to a Samsung Note? Readability, size?

Curious George

Slo-go'en; Walmart is advertising 1st-gen IPad mini for $199, you should be able to get in in Gorham. About 12 ounces, supposed to run about 9-10 hours on a charge. Built in camera. On sale Turkey Day at 6pm.

IPad Mini doesn't have expandable storage but I was told you can get a lightening adapter that you can plug an SD card into.

Thanks for the heads up but I think I'll stay away from apple products. I'm more in the open source camp...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Going to be some interesting deals on android devices, have been checking out the Staples in North Conway. My wife & I carried a $79 kindle last year on our spring Springer to Damascus hike & also a basic Verizon dumb-phone. Got caught in a thunderstorm on Hump Mtn leaving Overmountain Shelter to soon, really could have used an up-to-date weather report. Looking at options for our Harper's to New York section hike next April (My wife works at Pinkham & already has scheduled a month's vacation time to hike). Thinking of carrying both a tablet & a basic pay as you go smartphone but don't like duplicate devices.

How about a iPhone and Bluetooth keyboard?

I'm trying to figure this out too - I think an android phablet tied into verizon is the best answer. I'm kinda waiting to see if verizon adds the nexus phablet for service. Although the camera on the galaxy phablet would be good enough to take pics of maps so get by without them too. possibly, I'll just get a galaxy s4 phone with no radio service and try it as a tablet....tough call so far on how to have phone, gps, and internet in one device and not get into a contract if it doesn't work out.

I've been using my ipad mini on the at since last Christmas three weekends a month. No case, I bought the AppleCare which will replace it twice no question asked for 50$. I feel its worth the weight as i spend so much time in my tent. I enjoy falling asleep listening to books on tape, and keeping movies on it for rainy days. The alarm is also good and loud. I don't baby it , I throw it in the bottom of my bag during the winter when I'm done for the night. Battery life is amazing, 9-12 hrs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++