WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Question about modifying sleeping bag into a quilt.

I have an REI Kingdom 30 Double, that really cost me nothing. Overall, too bulky and heavy for much of anything besides car camping, that I don't do. The top, however is down (600 or 650 fp I believe), and I was considering removing the synthetic bottom, zippers (just cutting as close to the body as I can), and making it a quilt.

It seems to have a shoulder width of about 54", and a foot width of about 32".

My questions are, will it come out light enough to be worth it? What kind of (approximate) temp. rating would this yield me?

I am working on a pretty much zero budget for gear right now, and my other option is a USGI MSS patrol bag (rated 30 degrees, weight is right about 2.5 pounds). For reference, I have slept in this bag, with a z-rest sol 3/4 below freezing, in base layer/socks/hat/light gloves comfortably.

Thoughts, advice, tips, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Images

That bag weighs 6.1 pounds. Even cutting it in half and removing the zipper it will still be almost 3 pounds. Save your money and buy a Revelation X quilt from Enlightened equipment ( about 19 oz ) or from another cottage gear company. It will be money well spent.

My hope was that the synthetic side weighed more than half. Like I said above, right now there is no money to put towards gear, so I am working out the best way to make due with what I have available.

Only one way to find out. Worse case scenario, you are stuck carrying the 2.5 lb USGI sleeping bag for a while (which I would pick over the 6.1 lb bag anyways).

Journal Entries
    Images

Too much work and synthetic. It's your labor and time.. time for a Christmas present.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Not sure I follow, being that it is a double bag, and the entire top part is down insulated, all I need do is remove the bottom, with all the synthetic, and sew up the foot box. Remove the zippers from the top half, since they are now pointless and extra weight, and I am done. So too much work confuses me especially.

Sure, would love a Christmas present, but seeing as how I am estranged from my family, and pretty much everyone I do know is in an economic jam... Or were you volunteering? LOL

Journal Entries
    Images

These are tough times and you posted in the UL section, with little mention on your sewing capabilities or discussion on if you have a thread injector? - so I am curious do you have the tools and the knowledge? Have you done this before? VS using a down UL bag unzipped and on a chilly night zip it up and sink down deeper? Notice the weight and the average price of $125.

http://www.rei.com/product/861136/si...-2012-closeout

http://www.rei.com/product/867244/ma...-2012-closeout

Or how about this cottage manufacture. $175 & ^

http://www.hammockgear.com/top-quilts/

You asked for help - but I have a vision of feathers everywhere and a chilled to the bone backpacker.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 11-17-2013 at 13:31.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I do have access to a sewing machine, and more than a bit of experience with it. I normally have used the USGI bag like a quilt, so I am familiar with using it that way. I would certainly test it out in a non critical situation before heading out into the woods with it.

Those are nice options, if I had money for them. My thoughts are towards using what I have, and the down seems warmer than the USGI, and should be at least no heaver, and pack at least as small.

I do appreciate the concerns, and I see where they come from, as I didn't indicate my skill or access to a sewing machine.

I also believe (and if anyone has knowledge to the contrary, please let me know), that since the down is only on the top, I shouldn't need to cut into the structure containing the down filling at all, reducing the likely hood that the down comes out and goes everywhere.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well you have access to a bag I haven't seen before grab your ripping needle and good luck, I really wish you the best, I have tried similar activities and it did not work out for me.

Woo

Nyte,
    Here is an option you might consider.Remove the bottom insulation and use part of that area as a sleeve for your mat.
    You then use the top part as a quilt or indeed if you are keen as a "top bag".

Something like this :
    Hybrid-quilt.jpg
    you could keep part of the footbox, it is just a 10 sec drawing...

++ New Posts ++