WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Can't we all just get along?
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

i'm really baffled that i'm coming under so much criticism here. if you folks enjoy being hassled on the trail by a rude, renegade ridgerunner, then that's great. i was just trying to point out to glenn, as i have said before, that some people think he is abusing his position up there and, if he's really trying to educate hikers, then he might try a different attitude. (of course, i understand that others have had better experiences with glenn; i'm sure he's quite nice at times, maybe most of the time) anyway, this is my last post on this topic. as old fhart says, we're beating a dead horse. but you guys go ahead and bash me at will now if you wish.

Journal Entries
    Images

we're getting together at the whiteblaze church today after services and tacking your name to the dartboard to see if we can hit the dot above the "i"

mingo-"as old fhart says, we're beating a dead horse."
    Now, now, don't put words into my mouth. What I actually said was: "Unless you derive pleasure from beating a dead horse"

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    I think what mingo has come around to do is admirable: feeling out exactly what are the rules and parameters of certain sections of the trail. He had a bad experience, addressed it here, and is learning the specifics of what made his experience what it was. Hopefully in the future he will use this knowledge and enjoy his hike more.

Shame on anyone for bashing people who seek knowledge, who challenge people to justify their actions, who stand up for themselves and say 'By what authority do you ...(insert appropriate action phrase).' Especially when, in the end, after having gathered the required knowledge and changed their behavior accordingly, these people, and all of us, are better for the exchange.
    Oh, please. Pointing something out and describing an experience is admirable. Trashing somneone who works on the trail is not. The very title he chose for this thread is demeaning.

He complains about rude behavior in the most insulting and rude way possible. He is aggressively and unrelentingly argumentative. I've seen so many people like that on the trail, just looking to cause someone trouble. All puffed up in self-importance. Don't you dare question anything I do.

I cannot see that anything has been done here except to attack a trailworker, and make him wonder why he bothers.

If you don't want to get a permit, don't. If you don't want to show it, don't. If you don't want to follow the rules and try to get along, stay out of the Smokies and other areas with heavy use and heavy rules.

All that has been done here is to make thruhikers look bad.
    Frosty

Default kudos!

Hey, Frosty!

Well, I haven't hiked in the smokies, but when I do I'll have my permit ready to show anyone who cares, and I'll have a big smile and a thank you for any RRs that want to see my permit.

I'll revise my original post here: Shame on anyone for bashing. As Frosty said, it only makes us look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Froty
    All that has been done here is to make thruhikers look bad.
    The only thing I've seen make thruhikers look bad, is a pack of WB bullies!
    The ignore list makes this forum tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerHobo
    The only thing I've seen make thruhikers look bad, is a pack of WB bullies!
    If that is truly the case, you evidently haven't spent much time on the trail.

A ranger is the only person I'll show a pass to. Had a ridge runner in PA ask me one time who I was and where I was going to and from. Told him it was none of his business. This was a year after the double murder outside of Duncannon. I pretty much ignore ridge runners.

Journal Entries
    Images

Perhaps we need to get some ridge runners in the Whites.

They can begin by looking for Lone Wolf's stealth site near Lake of the Clouds.

People who hate and disregard rules and authority have a low self-esteem. They hide their low self-esteem by acting like they are above the law, they have problem with authority everywhere they go. A well-balanced person does not mind a Rigderunner asking to see his/her permit. "Blessed are the humble in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom oh heaven." Matt. 5:3

Sure Curt. I won't need to go on Dr. Phil now.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mingo
    i'm really baffled that i'm coming under so much criticism here. if you folks enjoy being hassled on the trail ......blah,blah,blah,.........anyway, this is my last post on this topic. as old fhart says, we're beating a dead horse. but you guys go ahead and bash me at will now if you wish.

THANKS for.....STOPPING THE MADNESS!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

well, i said i wouldn't post again to this thread but i just got a reply from the smoky mountain hiking club regarding ridgerunner glen. i stand corrected and feel obligated to share this email with you. apparently, the hiking club and the park service are aware that he's checking permits, are pleased with his efforts to educate hikers in the park, and are satisfied that he's dealing with hikers in a polite and professional manner.

The ridgerunners have the primary responsibility of enhancing the experience of backcountry users and educating them in LNT principles. Part of that task is to ensure that users of the shelters have been properly registered, thus avoiding overcrowding. I have personally witnessed Glenn on several occasions approaching backpackers, first introducing himself, politely asking about their itinerary and then asking to see their permit. On occasions when he has identified those without permits or those who are not able to keep their proper itinerary, I have seen him take great efforts to radio the park and attempt to work out a solution that allows the backpackers to continue their hike. Glenn and his radio have been responsible for several rescues and first aids efforts by park personnel for hikers in trouble. I have also witnessed Glenn doing an excellent job of teaching, mostly by example, not by police tactics, how to hike and camp using LNT principles. The ridgerunners also do a great amount of AT maintenance work.
    The ridgerunners job description is dictated by the NPS, not our club. We help to recruit them and coordinate their work. Funding is by Friends of the Smokies.
    I admit, Glen certainly is a unique person, but I have read accounts in shelter journals and had many personal accounts about how helpful he was to backpackers. I am surprised by your reaction. I don't deny that perhaps he could rub one the wrong way. Everyone can have a bad day. I just want you to know that this is not the norm for Glenn, as far as I know. I am copying your email to the folks who have primary responsibility for Glenn's performance so that they can correct me if I have been mistaken in anything I have told you here. Thank-you for your feedback.
    <!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->Philip Royer, President SMHC
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    People who hate and disregard rules and authority have a low self-esteem. They hide their low self-esteem by acting like they are above the law, they have problem with authority everywhere they go. A well-balanced person does not mind a Rigderunner asking to see his/her permit. "Blessed are the humble in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom oh heaven." Matt. 5:3
    Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Yea, but what if you're not "well balanced"? How I respond is based on how I'm asked. Regardless of it's a ridgerunner, or Park Ranger or State Police. I treat people like they treat me. Makes for some exciting times.
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Images

Mingo, I commend you for being a stand up guy. Proof enough is your post relating to the email you received from the president of SMHC.

Journal Entries
    Images

mingo, that is the most honorable thing you have done, bravo.................brother

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++