WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Darn Tuff Factory Sale

I visited the Darn Tuff factory sale yesterday (11/16) in Northfield VT. This sale runs the first two weekend of hunting season in VT and is very popular. I waited about 1 -1/2 hours in line to get inside and when I left the line as just as long.

All the Darn Tuff hiking socks varieties were on sale usually at 50% of retail or less . A particularly great deal are their US military sock seconds which usually have a skipped thread in the sock which doesn't make a difference for hiking. These socks are merino with acrylic blend and tend to be slightly more robust than the regular darn tuff hikers. If you have a use for 12 pairs, the cost per pair was $1.50 a pair which would be hard to beat anywhere. I used to use Smart Wools but have switched over to Darn Tuffs. buying 6 pairs they are $1.66 a pair.

This sale is only at the factory in VT and is not advertised heavily. I don't know how good the inventory is the second weekend but there was plenty when I was there on the first day of the sale.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 11-18-2013 at 07:59.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I sued to use Smart Wools but have switched over to Darn Tuffs. buying 6 pairs they are $1.66 a pair. .

you needed a better lawyer.

A trip to Northern VT is not in the cards for me, but I already have three pairs, which I wear year round as well as on section hikes. Fortunately, they live up to their name and show no signs of wearing out. I highly recommend them.

I wear them every day. I have three pairs. I can usually wear a pair for the better part of a week before they start to smell. Then they go in the laundry and I am on to pair #2. By the time pair #3 is ready for the laundry, pairs 1 and 2 are clean and we go around again. I have two drawers of socks I haven't worn in several years, except the white ankle socks I wear with athletic shoes and shorts in the summer. For some reason, my family won't let me wear 3/4 length dark green hiking socks with that outfit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I wear them every day. I have three pairs. I can usually wear a pair for the better part of a week before they start to smell. Then they go in the laundry and I am on to pair #2. By the time pair #3 is ready for the laundry, pairs 1 and 2 are clean and we go around again. I have two drawers of socks I haven't worn in several years, except the white ankle socks I wear with athletic shoes and shorts in the summer. For some reason, my family won't let me wear 3/4 length dark green hiking socks with that outfit.
    Uhhh...I assume you mean the better part of a week on the trail. Not like, to the office or the movies or....

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

I can't get it Vermont. . . Would you mind getting me 2-3 pairs and sending them down here (GA)? ;-)

Images

Wish I could get there. A friend gave me 3 pairs for my birthday last year. I'd never heard of them until then. She said "The brand reminds me of you!"
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

They also stand behind their warranty of never wearing out. After several years mine developed a hole in the heel. Sent them off and a new pair appeared shortly. Great socks.

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    Uhhh...I assume you mean the better part of a week on the trail. Not like, to the office or the movies or....
    Yes - every day. They stink little on the trail. They stink less when you are not hiking.

I'm with you Odd Man Out. I wear mine a good week before changing them. Not only do they not smell, they don't stretch out and droop. Ever.

Darn Tough! We don't need no stinkin', cutesy, branding misspellings for these awesome socks! I wear them frequently, hiking or not. And they will indeed honor the lifetime guarantee and replace them if you wear through them.

They are quite proud that the socks are made in VT with US sourced materials by a family company. They are a supplier to the US military and a lot of high end firms. I have run into a few US military publications that appear to favor Darn Tuffs for Afghanistan operations. The owner of the firm was actively walking the floor meeting folks during the sale.

They have some super heavy duty socks that are great for winter use (they remind me of ECWS gear)

Section Hiker

Got my first pair of Darn Tough this past weekend at REI (if only I were near VT!). I'm sold, best socks I have ever tried. I hope Santa brings me more!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Which particular "model" do you guys suggest?

Images

I've been wearing one of my three pairs of Darn Tough's nearly every day for three years. I scorched a hole in the side of one of them trying to dry it out and wrote to the factory asking if their warranty covered such foolishness. They politely declined so I sewed it closed with dental floss and everything is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by blackgrass View Post
    Which particular "model" do you guys suggest?
    I have one of these (The ATC Sock)
    http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-t...o-crew-cushion

and two of these (olive)
    http://darntough.com/men/mens-lifest...sue-crew-light

If you go to their web site, click the ?Sock Height and Cushion tab on the left side of the screen. That will explain the height and weight options. I only considered the wool options (not Coolmax). Beyond that, it's just color.

Virginia Tortoise

I got a buy two get one pair free deal at EMS Manchester Center, VT back in 2009. Great socks! Wish I was in VT now for that sale.

Looks like I might be adding some socks to the x-mas wish list.

Default Darn Tuff Factory Sale

I've been wearing Darn Tough every day since I picked up my first pair six years ago. I recently sent in 4 pair that I'd worn out and they promptly sent me 4 new pair. Great company and great socks!
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

I have 4.5 pair - I have 3 pair that are matched and 3 (THREE !!) singles. I have NO idea where the other singles went. I use them for work, so I can't just mix and match.

Found one place in Tampa that sells them - will be going up there next week. I like them.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

++ New Posts ++