WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Quilt vs Sleeping Bag for Ground sleeper

Hey guys...when I started backpacking a little over a year ago at the age of 51, I had trouble finding a bag that I could sleep in and be comfortable. I am 5'8" and built like a tank, and mummy bags made me feel like I was going to suffocate, and creeped me out that I was so constricted. I ended up buying a tall man Big Agnes Deer Park 30 degree down sleeping bag on clearance at the local outfitter for an amazing price of $150. It is roomy (in fact a little too roomy) and allows me to sleep on my side and roll around inside it to my heart's content, but is pretty heavy, even for down, at a little over 3lbs. I sleep pretty warm, and on a recent trip was just a tiny bit cold in 26 degrees in this bag, wearing only a thermal tee and long underwear. The next night the temp was in the mid 30's and I was actually getting too warm.

Now I am looking at options to lighten the load somewhat, and am hearing good things about quilts. I like the idea of being able to use a quilt most of the year due to being able to stick feet out, roll it down off of your torso, etc., but I don't see many threads about tent people using quilts.

I am not made of money, so I can't get a top of the line quilt, but I see that JRB, Enlightened Equipment and GoLite make some pretty reasonably priced stuff, and I was thinking I might be able to get a 30 degree quilt and use it for all my trips...I don't go on the trail from Jan 1- April 15th every year as I am a CPA and work every weekend during that time.

Just wondering if anyone that tents can chime in about their experiences with a quilt. Is 30 degrees going to be warm enough? Also wondering i if I need to get any special brand or size quilt due to my stout build and side sleeping?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I love my quilt for all the reasons you listed. I'm also a big, ground-dwelling guy and hate the claustrophbic feeling of mummy bags. I made a quilt for about $120 that is good to about 25 degrees. I used 5oz Climashield Apex and a light uncoated nylon fabric--the same one used in a military poncho liner, which was my inspiration for my project. Instead of trying to fit it to me, I just stayed with a rectangular shape and added toggles, loops and ties, so that I could make a foot box, if desired, or leave it flat. One advantage of Apex is that it requires minimal quilting because it is a continious fiber insulation, and not lots of short fibers matted together. The project was pretty easy to do, and only took me an hour or so to lay everything out, cut it, and sew it together.

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

I can't help on the "warm enough" question but I've visited the JRB store and Jack was pulling quilts off the shelf left and right for me to try out. You'd definitely know if they fit by the time you left! Just call ahead to make sure they'll be in. I quite enjoyed the visit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Is 30 degrees going to be warm enough?
    Where are you hiking and when? It makes quite a difference between November in the Cascades vs. July in Florida.

As far as quilts. I have used them for years and it doubtful that I would go back to a full bag. Side sleeper, doesn't matter, that is what the pad is for.

Look into Mountain Laurel Designs synthetic quilts. Very light. Proven in the field,(see Skurka). Very reasonably priced. Mine is on its way, ordered 2 weeks ago.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I love my homemade Apex quilt. It's 5.0oz just like Maui Rhino and warm. I'm good in it down into the 20s no problem. Probably lower but haven't had the chance yet It's especially toasty with my wifey in it with me. So toasty that I've had to take off layers to keep from sweating
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I am a ground-dwelling quilt user--I use a GoLite 3-season down quilt, which appears not to be in production anymore--and I love it for the reasons you've mentioned. I have not struggled for warmth with mine, even down to the 20s overnight, although that obviously varies by person. I think they're infinitely more comfortable than mummy bags and unless I get started on very cold winter expeditions, I'm probably not investing in a mummy bag again.

See these two previous threads about quilts for ground-dwellers:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-v-Quilt/page2
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...p?92577-Quilts
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Since I'm a restless sleeper and tend to kick bedding off me, I sleep in a sleeping bag. It's only in the warmest part of summer do I use a lightweight down quilt, since becoming uncovered then is no bid deal. Something to think about if you move around in your sleep a lot.

Love my EE RevolutionX 30*. Its great for a side sleeper like me and a lot lighter cheaper than a comparable sleeping bag for the same amount of warmth. I'm not sure I would replace my 0* bag with a quilt, but that may be as much the psychological feeling of being burrowed away against the cold as anything physical.
    KBO, Ducky

I just don't see where you save all that much weight with a quilt. I can use my sleeping bag as a quilt when it's warm and zipper it up to eliminate drafts when it gets cold. Best of both worlds.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Thanks for all the excellent input everyone! It looks like it's a good option to keep looking at.

Slo-go'en, if I get a 30 degree quilt from JRB or EE, I will save about exactly 2 lbs over my current 30 degree down bag. Enough weight so that I can bring 2 flasks of bourbon as a trade off! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Enough weight so that I can bring 2 flasks of bourbon as a trade off! lol
    Best reason to save weight I have heard so far!
    KBO, Ducky

Images

If your built is stout then having a quilt that is wide is better for you. EE makes great quilts . I am 5' 7'' and 160 pounds and a 20 degree Revelation X top quilt is what I will take to my next year AT Thru. Mine is regular but you may benefit from a wide one.

By spending around 215 $ you can buy a wide EE revelation X 20 degree quilt of your choice of color weighing around 25 Oz that is almost half the weight of your previous bag.

Images

I've gone down to 20 degrees with my older Nunatak quilt. The straps keep it snug to the sleeping pad with no cold spots. I use a bag for anything colder, although I have recently been considering a zero degree quilt.

Images

Yeah, I am 5'8" and weigh 205...and some of it is actually muscle! lol...so I will definitely look at wide options kookork.

Someone had asked about where we backpack...so far, we have hit Dolly Sods 3 times, Grayson Highlands twice, Tarjacket Ridge, and McAfee Knob as well...I believe the lowest temp we have actually slept in was somewhere around 25 degrees. Like I mentioned, I don't believe we will go in temps below 20 much, if at all, because of my busy season coinciding with the dead of winter here in Va...plus my wife is very cold natured.

Default EE RevX quilt

I am 5'10" 190lbs and a pretty restless sleeper. At Tim's(w/EE) suggestion, I bought a 6' wide version of the RevX 20 degree down quilt. If you have any questions, he will respond quickly to help you out. The price, quality and customer service are hard to beat! I do most of my hiking in the Cascades and this should be perfect for me. If it's too warm out, I can open up the foot box and use it as a blanket, or wrap it up around me if it gets cold at night. I just received it this weekend and I can't wait to put it to use. I am sitting on the couch fighting off a cold, wrapped up in it right now! My dog really seems to like it. Good luck!

Images

ive been to zero with a JRB High Sierra Sniveller and a Exped SynMat UL 7 Air Pad. never had a problem
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

lots of choices... I love outlet... Down 2 lbs & 7 oz

$125
    http://www.rei.com/product/861136/si...-2012-closeout
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I have the Revelation X 30 with the overstuff option from EE. I can't say enough good things about it. It weighs only 19 oz and I have used it from 25 to 75 degrees. If it's cold you zip up the footbox, snap the snaps above the footbox and then connect the three small elastic cords above that. A big part of staying warm is to have a good insulating pad. I've had both a regular bag and a mummy and I would never use anything but a quilt again.

Images

I'm a little over 6', hovering between 170 and 175. I have an EE revelation 20, 6'6", long, wide. I toss and turn a lot in my sleep. I greatly prefer my quilt to a sleeping bag for either ground or hammock use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++