WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Winter Camping Check List

I am planning a few winter camping trips this year and started putting my pack together for the trip.

I plan on hiking out sleeping over spending the next day hiking , sleeping over again and then packing out in the morning.

I have complied a preliminary list for you experts to look over and let me know what you think and what I should change. Its not 100% complete but I figured I would start...

Gear :

Backpack
    N.F. ultralight 0 degree down bag
    Tent BA Creek UL
    BA ground cover
    Sleeping pad
    Jet boil & extra fuel
    Water purifier ( UV )
    2 32 oz water bottle
    Knife, spoon & fork
    Bowl and mug
    Bandana
    Rope
    Battery charger
    Phone in life case
    2 head lamps
    6 aaa batteries
    4 hand warmers
    Toilet paper
    Empty poland spring bottle ( pee bottle )
    Small cotton rag for pots and bowls

Clothing :

wearing:

Socks ( merlino hiker )
    Capiline 2 top and bottoms
    Patagonia backcountry pants
    N.F. TKA 100 top
    Patagoina R4 fleece top
    Hat & gloves
    Polarized sunglasses
    Gore Tex Hiking boots

Packing:

2 pairs of merlino hiking socks
    N.F. HyVent jacket
    N.F. TKA fleece pants
    Patagonia down jacket
    Capiline 3 top & bottom
    Face gator & over gloves

Food :

Bear can
    4 backpacker meals ( 2 lunch 2 dinner )
    6 pack oat meal and dried fruits ( 2 breakfast )
    Coffee and nido
    Hot drink mix
    Dried meat
    Peanut butter treats
    Cheese blocks

Any input would great !!

AT 2012

curious about the bear cannister...where will you be hiking? ...they'll likely be sleeping.
    Lazarus

reading to much I guess.

Im camping around the CT / NY border on the AT.

I figured you never know and it beats hanging your food from a tree. theres also other critters besides bears, but you have point, they will be sleeping.. I hope

Images

Don't forget the first aid kit, lighter and matches.

Images

Bring a lighter.
    And cheesecake

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Well the list is definitely workable. Though I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions on things to consider.

Where do you plan on hiking?

Do you own all of this gear, or are you looking for advice in what to buy?

If you already have everything and want to find out what works, you can always take a quick drive over to Wiley shelter and do an overnight. It's a great location to test out your winter gear since you can park a quarter mile away and have the option of bailing out if something goes wrong.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Seems like way too much gear for 2-3 days. I'd leave behind the extra headlamp and batteries the bowl, the hand warmers, the charger, the extra water bottle, and the extra fuel.

Images

Why two head lamps?

Journal Entries
    Images

caus he doesn't have owl night vision.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

just seems like having a second head lamp would be a good thing to carry, one breaks.. or lost and your in the dark.

Yes first aid kit is already packed and lighters are included.

I dont really like Wiley shelter, to close to the road, dont like hearing cars or other people.

I do already own most of my list. still waiting for sales on a few items, but for the most part Im set.

I know I can scale down the weight a little I figured better to have it and it helps with conditioning for a longer hike down the line.

Does anyone just use a UV or do you bring a back up method for water purification ?

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

The bears are still out & about right now, but a canister isn't needed for your winter trips. I'd just keep it in the tent or hang it from a low limb so it's too high for raccoons. 4-5 feet would be more than enough to work. Also wondering why 2 headlamps/6 batteries for a 2 night outing. My last trip was 8 nights. I had 1 headlamp w/the same batteries I'd been using since late July. I don't see crampons listed. You may want to think about bringing a set for yourself......you will encounter icy areas in that neck of the woods. It's pretty much the same as my neck of the woods. As always.....HYOK & enjoy the trips outdoors!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

You might want to add an additional pad, depending on how warm yours is. I predict you will have a great trip.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I have a therma rest pad.

no inflatables.

i figure with a good bag and layers I wont need the second pad

Journal Entries

You may want to consider liner type gloves for hiking & a pair of mitts to wear over them in camp or just a pair of the mittens that fold back at the knuckles to allow exposed finger dexterity. Mitts are warmer than gloves, IMHO.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

i have a pair of mountain hardware wind proof fleece type gloves and a old school pair of Swany snowboarding over gloves, there kevlar and never wore out, had them about 20 years...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pawlinghiker View Post
    i have a pair of mountain hardware wind proof fleece type gloves and a old school pair of Swany snowboarding over gloves, there kevlar and never wore out, had them about 20 years...
    Should do! You may still want to consider a CCF to supplement your pad. Even with the bag & layers, you will compress that insulation & make it much less effective. Then the warmth robbing ground will go to work on you.
    Chief Seattle

CCF ? sorry ... not sure.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Closed Cell Foam. The blue foam pad from XYZ-Mart.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Closed Cell Foam - sort of old school. The blue walmart mat is CCF as are the Z-rests.

It really all depends on how cold it gets. 1" of CCF matts are typical for the winter. The ground will suck a lot of heat out of you.

You don't have to gear up for full on artic conditions near the CT/NY line, but it can still get nasty. The trick is of course not to go when it's nasty...

Since you will be camping in the same spot for 2 nights, be sure to stuff your bag, roll up the matts and pick up the tent and move it a little before you leave for the day. Otherwise you could find these frozen to the ground when you come back. Heavy as they are, Nalgine bottles and thier insulating sleeves are worth it.

No matter what, don't start out the next day still wearing the clothes you slept in. It's very tempting, but you'll regret it later.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Bring some chocolate goodness for dessert. It'll give your body fuel to generate some warmth overnight.

CCF = closed cell foam. Think Wallyworld stiff blue pad.

Also, boil water and fill up a Nalgene bottle with your extra socks insulating or a reflectix cozy and sleep with it. Very warm!

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by perrito; 11-21-2013 at 23:27.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++