WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

why are nalgene bottles so much better ?

why will I regret wearing the same clothes ?

long johns ? diddnt plan on taking those off for any reason ??

Nalgene bottle does not split open if the liquid freezes inside.
    Let me go

Take your whole gear list. You'll know by/ at the end of your trip what worked, what failed and what was dead weight. You'll get a million different responses here but NONE is more important than you just going on the trail and figuring it out. You'll be a stronger hiker in the end. Embrace mistakes and learn from them. Good luck on the trail!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Possibly the best way to answer the tread is to agree on a winter list that we agreed on before.. rather than fixing his list. Can anyone take a moment and dig that up?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

thanks for all the responses, you guys are really helpful.

I have not finished the list . I was thinking of packing a hand warmer type back pad. it gives off heat for 8 hours, might be nice in the tent. Ive slept with one at home... roasty toasty !!

put lithium batteries in your headlamps- assuming you can. They will do better in the cold and you won't need spares. Winter makes sense to carry two headlamps, if you need to night hike or just need the extra light.
    UV treatment will probably need to be kept in a pocket- they don't do that well in the cold- but should be fine if you keep it warm.
    Same goes for your active Jetboil canister- jacket pocket and in your sleeping bag at night. Bring a square of cardboard or CFF to keep the canister out of direct contact with the ground when you cook.
    You may want a scrap of CFF (8x16) to sit on during breaks or at camp.
    Pee bottle- unless your little guy is really little- you're going to want a widemouth bottle- you don't want to miss. You'll also want at least 20 oz size, preferably 32 oz.
    Nalgene (or other brand) capabable of taking hot liquids is a wintertime must. Platypus bags can accept hot water too- an excellent way to warm your bag and keep your water from freezing at night. I typically use one Nalgene and my 3L bladder.
    Unless you are very comfortable with your firebuilding skills- add some extra firestarters. Also consider a heavier knife suitable for batoning wood if you plan to build a fire.

Clothes look fine- nice to have separate sleeping base layer- but not the end of the world for a short trip. Dedicated sleep socks are a good idea though. Use your Platypus bladder for a pillow- you probably won't have spare clothes at night.

Food-
    Swap out a few lunches for several soups, ramen, etc. Two quick hot (mainly liquid) meals are better in the winter than sitting down for a long lunch that is likely to get cold before you finish it anyway. Your jetboil will have you fed quick and you will likely enjoy several short hot food breaks more than one long cold one.
    Add some pepperoni, salami or other high fat meats for snacks too.
    Hot drink mix- what you like but I would suggest some tea for before bed. Bring some butter- put a heavy tablespoon into a cup or two of tea before bed- the fat will help you sleep warmer.
    Put your backpacker meals at dinner into your sleeping bag to substitute for a cozy and warm your bag a bit to boot.

Looks like you're nearly there- as others said- take too much and pare it down after a few trips. Hit the backyard too!

I was actually thinking about posting mine with a new thread for feedback in the Damascus area the week of Christmas for 2 nights (assuming no major storms passing by) so ill do it here. Hope you dont mind. I think it's pretty dialed in and could help (or I could use the feedback):

ULA Circuit
    TT Contrail
    Thermarest All Season- Reg length
    WM Alpinelite - 20 deg

MSR Pocket Rocket
    Fuel Cannister
    GSI Pot
    Aqua Mira
    2 1 Ltr Platypus and 1 2 Ltr Platypus for Camp
    Lighter
    ZPaks Food Bag

Clothes Worn:
    Light Weight Base Pants
    Shorts( ill hike in these down to at least 30 with no precipitation)
    Rei wicking T-Shirt
    Cap 3 1/4 Zip
    Rain Jacket
    Darn tough socks
    Brook Cascadia trail runners

Clothes Camp:
    REI Mid Layer top and bottom
    Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka
    Rain Pants
    Fleece Gloves and WP mittens
    Beannie
    Darn tough socks
    Crocs

Miscellaneous
    Phone
    Cards (ID, Insurance , Debit)
    sparelighter
    Head Lamp (w/ 1 spare battery)
    50 ft para cord with mini caribeaner
    FAK
    Small Knife.

I think total I should be right at or below 20 lbs.

any feedback is welcome and Palinghiker I think this is pretty dialed in. Hope this helps and enjoy the trip.
    Last edited by Studlintsean; 11-22-2013 at 00:31.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pawlinghiker View Post
    why are nalgene bottles so much better ?...........
    Because you can put boiling water into a Nalgene bottle without worrying about it melting.
    Make sure the cover is on good and tight and then put the bottle of hot water inside your sleeping bag to preheat it.
    Makes climbing into the bag so much more enjoyable!

Have you hiked in the Patagonia R4 jacket before? Unless you have the LW version, the regular R4 is totally wind proof (gore windbloc I think) and it doesn't breathe at all. I wore it on the trail in mid 20 degree weather and I was sweating in no time. Because of that and the fact that it doesn't pack down small, I don't take the R4 on winter hikes or any active pursuits. Of course your mileage may vary...

I have a therma rest pad.

no inflatables.

i figure with a good bag and layers I wont need the second pad
    If it is two inches or more thick you should be fine. If not, a closed cell pad underneath is a very good idea.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

why are nalgene bottles so much better ?

why will I regret wearing the same clothes ?

long johns ? diddnt plan on taking those off for any reason ??
    Besides holding hot water, nalgene's have a wide mouth which is easier to open if it freezes up a bit. It also helps to leave them sitting with the lid down, that way the lid is less likely to freeze.

You will sweat while hiking. Doesn't matter how cold it is. You will sweat. If you wear the same under clothes you sleep in hiking, they will get damp. When you end the day and don't have yet another set to change into, your going to get chilled. I try to keep my hiking clothes on as long as possible at the end of the day in an effort to let body heat dry them out. But at some point, you just got to break down and change.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

For the OP: so what is the total weight of your gear/pack for your trip?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You will sweat while hiking. Doesn't matter how cold it is. You will sweat. If you wear the same under clothes you sleep in hiking, they will get damp. When you end the day and don't have yet another set to change into, your going to get chilled. I try to keep my hiking clothes on as long as possible at the end of the day in an effort to let body heat dry them out. But at some point, you just got to break down and change.
    "Don't sleep in wet clothes" is important, but far more important is "never hike in your only set of dry clothes." You will need the dry clothes to sleep in. For a short trip in temps that aren't pushing your sleeping bag's limit, sleeping in slightly damp unmentionables to let body heat dry them out works ok. You can get home and dry everything properly, and a couple of nights' worth of moisture isn't going to destroy the insulating value of your bag. If you're going to be out night after night in cold weather, then you have to think about some sort of vapor barrier to keep your bag dry, because even condensation will wet out the down eventually. I'm never out for that long in winter. (I'm never out for that long, period.) You can also try putting your damp baselayer between your sleeping pads (you use two in cold weather, right?) so that at least it won't freeze.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Sounds like you haven't done any winter camping before so I'll base my coments on that assumption. There is a lot of good advice here--lithium batteries, two full length pads, don't sleep in damp clothes...so below is what I have learned:

Take real food-it won't spoil.
    You don't have to wash your cook pot as there will be no bacteria growing in it. Just use snow to clean it.
    A headlamp with a seperate battery pack that can be kept close to your body works better-spendy though.
    Take high calorie snacks like cookies that will be easy to eat when frozen.
    The jetboil will not be the best choice for melting snow-be careful and add your last water to the pot so it doesn't burn through.
    A small candle lantern will warm your tent but be carefull.
    Be ready and able to build a fire if the need arises-I know, you probably aren't supposed to but be ready anyway.
    Take a friend.
    Spend a night or two in a park campground to try things out before you head out on the trail.

Winter camping is the best for quiet solitude. Have fun and stay safe and warm.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    Sounds like you haven't done any winter camping before so I'll base my coments on that assumption. There is a lot of good advice here--lithium batteries, two full length pads, don't sleep in damp clothes...so below is what I have learned:

Take real food-it won't spoil.
    You don't have to wash your cook pot as there will be no bacteria growing in it. Just use snow to clean it.
    A headlamp with a seperate battery pack that can be kept close to your body works better-spendy though.
    Take high calorie snacks like cookies that will be easy to eat when frozen.
    The jetboil will not be the best choice for melting snow-be careful and add your last water to the pot so it doesn't burn through.
    A small candle lantern will warm your tent but be carefull.
    Be ready and able to build a fire if the need arises-I know, you probably aren't supposed to but be ready anyway.
    Take a friend.
    Spend a night or two in a park campground to try things out before you head out on the trail.

Winter camping is the best for quiet solitude. Have fun and stay safe and warm.
    All good advice.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

thanks for all the good advice.

I have done some winter camping at a lake called horseshoe lake, its in the great maine woods.

we slept in snow caves on a cliff. it was amazing.

that was over 20 years ago....

figure i can still do everything i did back then just a little slower ...

that was a preliminary list I will be refining and get pack weights shortly.

Thanks again for all the help Im sure I will have more questions as I go on...

Bring/wear sunscreen.

seems like you might want to take more than you "might" need on this trip and learn from your own experience what to leave at home on your next winter trip

just a few comments:
    Jet boil & extra fuel = have an option for burning wood if needs, and melting snow if needed
    2 32 oz water bottle = ideally metal so you can heat them if frozen, and ideally wide-mouthed
    2 head lamps = candle lamp or vegetable oil lamp also, to save batteries and keep you company
    Polarized sunglasses = plastic frames for warmth

I recommend 1oz of clothing for every 1 deg F below say 85 of 90 deg F. That doesn't include footwear and rain and wind shells. It should be layered so you can wear it all at once when it is coldest planned for. Also when wearing it all at once it should cover the body evenly, but third pair of socks can be worn as overmitts. It is ok to have up to 4 layers in some places, as long as everything layers loosely without compressing. 2-3 layers is less encumbering, but you will probably never have to wear it all at once as that is only the coldest temperature planned for so most of the time you will be delayered in various ways.

i will be adding a camp axe to my list for sure, just have not found one I like, all seem heavy, I guess it has to be..

Thanks again for any input..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++