WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 1 mph ?

Slow is sitting on the couch. Hike at a comfortable pace for you that is a bit challenging to maintain, but not uncomfortable or unsustainable. Hiking should be an aerobic activity but not an anaerobic one. Terrain, and your balance and joint strength will probably dictate your speed until you build up your muscles and joints through repetition. Don't worry about it though, just enjoy the trail!

I found that on a several-day section hike on the AT, including stops for snacks, getting water, checking map or guidebook, chatting with others I met on trail, taking pictures, and actually hiking, I could pretty much count on 1.5 miles per hour of the day on trail. Six hours to go 9 miles, eight hours to go 12 miles, etc. I'm sure my actual hiking pace when walking was more like 2 mph, which is OK. Knowing this does help you plan your day. If you want to go farther, just start earlier and/or end later.

Images

I am also rather slow when looking at MPH, whatever time I get up and break camp, my goal each day is typically 12 miles. In that I don't cook anymore I can camp anywhere............try to find really cool spots, tops of mountains, etc.

During the day I semi time myself as to where I am on getting to my daily "goal", ie 12 miles or a spot I have pre-selected. (ie Top of a mountain).

I too take many breaks and enjoy them all, especially like taking an hour or so mid-day, socks off, feet elevated, nice long rest break. Eat, hydrate, change socks (unless raining)

Losing body weight and getting my pack down to 30 pounds with food and water has helped a bit. So if I hike for 8 hours and do 12 miles that is 1.5 MPH on average.

Totally agree with hours walked vs speed. I have gone faster before and stopped at 4pm, what to do for 4-5 hours?

Prefer hiking until near dark each night

We average 2 - 2 1/2 miles per hour. It just depends on terrain.

Journal Entries

My typical backpacking rate on the AT is about 1 MPH, and I prefer, if possible, to not cover more than six to eight miles per day. I also take a zero (or near zero) day at least once or twice a week, often doing so out on the trail. I'm having more fun now, and injure myself less frequently, than I did in my younger days, thirty to forty years ago when I covered more mileage.

Everyone varies concerning how quickly she or he can hike, carrying a pack safely and enjoyably for weeks on end. Figure out what your personally preferred rate of travel is and then base your plans on that reality. Thru hiking is not the only way to reach Mount Katahdin or get to many other great places.

Images

One thing I found out that would get me some mo better mileage is when I hit a long level place with parklike (sidewalk like) tread I try to pick up my pace.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++