Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
I think we are missing a larger issue and just concentrating on fear of change. The AT and the AT experience is growing and evolving, this is not going to stop. If we cling on to the old ways with the AT yes we will hit unsustainability, but that would be due to our short sightedness...
Well said. "fear of change" is spot on. It is really cool how unregulated the AT is right now, but IMHO zero big deal if regulations are imposed, especially if said regulations only have to be imposed in the southern-most couple hundred miles.

Maybe I personally only say "no big deal" because I frequent lots of places, like National Parks, where regulations are already in place, and it's easy to piss and moan about them, but they are actually a good thing.

My big disappointment along the AT was the crowding in the first couple hundred miles, mostly the trashy conditions and over-crowding at the shelters and established camps. It got much better further north, of course. Seems like just concentrating on GA/NC/TN will do the trick towards a more pleasant experience for some of us that are just not used to such "crowded" trails ("crowded" in quotes, because really, the trail itself is not crowded, just the gathering spots, like shelters/camps).

In any case, seems like we have some very thoughtful folks (like LaurieP) working the issue.