I've been trying to look at ways to cut weight with my pack. Below is currently where I stand as far as gear with some justifications for what I'm carrying as well. I'm shooting for a 30LB pack loaded with 3 days of food and 2L water but I'm not sure that's even possible without sacrificing some serious creature comforts. I'm also trying to find a balance between durability and lightness as well, in regards to a shelter and mattress. I love the idea of an ultralight tent but I don't love the idea of some of the materials they're made from. I see people on here talking about how they have a 25LB pack that includes five days of food and water and I'm wondering how that's even possible. I do a lot of weekend hikes and plan do to some month long thru hikes next year so I'm trying to get things squared away in prep for the longer trips. In my opinion, once changing out my sleeping pad and tent for a lighter model, I may have found a realistic ideal balance between livability/durability and lightweight but I wanted to get some others opinions first.

Arc Teryx Khyber 50

- (2) 1L Nalgene Bottle
- MSR Hyperflow
- Arc Teryx Pack Shelter (Medium)

- Clothes: (1) Columbia Silver Ridge Shirt, (1) Pair Hurly Phantom Bord Short, (1) Arc Teryx Candidate Shirt, (1) Under Armor 9in Compression Shorts,
(1) Pair Wigwaum Socks

- (1) Roll Toilet Paper
- (1) Travel Size Hand Sanitizer
- Small Trowell

- Outdoor Research 5L Compression Dry Sack
- MSR Hubba Hubba (tent, stakes, poles, fly, no footprint)

- Outdoor Research 20L Compression Sack
- Marmot Hydrogen 30 Long
- Thermarest Compressible Pillow (Large)
- Arc Teryx Beta AR Hardshell
- Arc Teryx Atom LT Hoodie

- Snowpeak Titanium Spoon and Fork
- Snowpeak LiteMax Titanium Stove
- Snowpeak Titanium Cook & Save
- (1) 230 Gram Gas Canister
- 1oz Bottle Dawn
- Bic Lighter
- Small Terrycloth

- Maxpedition Anemone Pouch
- 4oz Bottle Body Wash
- Travel Size Toothpaste
- Travel Size Tooth Brush
- Travel Size Deoderant
- Small Nail Clippers

- Maxpedition Anemone Pouch
- (6) Mini Fire Starter Logs
- (3) CR123 Batteries
- (1) Compass
- Bic Lighter

- Marmot Small Stuff Sack
- First Aid Kit: (1) Roll Gauze, (1) Roll Coban, (5) Medium Bandaids, (5) Large Bandaids, (3) 4x4 Gauze, (3) 3x3 Gauze,
(1) travel size sunscreen, (1) chap stick, (2) small vials super glue.
- 50FT Paracord

- Thermarest Neo Air Trail Lite (L)

- Outdoor Research Durable Stuff Sack 20L
- 2 Days Food

One day of food is:
Breakfast: (4) Packets Quacker Low Sugar Instant Oatmeal
(3) Jiff Peanut Butter Packets

Lunch: (1) Annies Deluxe Rice Pasta Mac & Cheese
2 TBS Crushed Almonds

Dinner: (2) Annies Deluxe Rice Pasta Mac and Cheese
2.5 Oz Hormell Peperoni Minies

Desert: Muscle Milk Pro

Total pack weight with 2 days food and 2L water is 34.5 LBS.

Places where I know I can lose weight are by upgrading my Thermarest mattress to a lighter model, upgrading my tent
to a lighter model and by carrying the Annies Mac and Cheese that uses the powdered cheese instead of the sludge.
The powdered stuff weighs 6oz per box vs. 11oz for the deluxe. Righ away I can see that by going to a Nemo Astro
Air Lite 25L for my mattress and a Hilleberg Enan for my tent would result in a combined net weight reduction of 3.25 LBS.
Past that I'm not really sure where else I could cut weight withough sacrificing living comfort.

Some Reasoning behind what I carry.

- I carry the Arc Teryx Candidate shirt and board shorts for wearing after I'm done for the day.
I like to wash my clothes when possible or at least let them air out over night. It's also nice to be able to bathe
or take a dip in a stream/river when possible.

- I carry nail clippers as I've found these usefull for trimming pack troublesome nails or removing splinters,
a small pair weighs practically nothing.

- My food could probably be lighter but, I really enjoy a good meal while in the woods. We loose
most of our creature comforts when in the woods and eating well is a way to keep me happy. I really love mac
and cheese and find that it's a very versatile and calorie dense food. I don't mind eating it for both lunch and dinner as I can
change the topping. I also carry a large amount of food as I need the calories. I aim for about 4K a day and with the
above meal plan I am able to hit that number.

- Two person tent. Most of my backpacking is currently done with my girlfriend but I'm considering lightening the load by upgrading to a Hilleberg Enan 1 Person tent.

- Compression Sacks and other organizing sacks: I know a lot of ultra lighters advocate ditching the stuff sacks and other containers, however, I really like them for their ability to help me keep things organized. I I stuff the occasional shirt or jacket between stuff sacks to help take up unused space.