WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What I love about the movie A Walk in the Woods

Here's what I love best about the movie:

1) Robert Redford digs a cathole! And both he and Kirsten Schaal carry trowels. This is a real gift for the A.T. and a departure from the book. One of the most memorable scenes from the book is when Katz flings coffee filters from his pack and watches them flutter through the woods. Later, one of the characters asks the other why they are using toilet paper to filter their coffee. Early on, ATC implored the producer Bill Holderman to reflect as many good Leave No Practices as they could in the film.

Redford chose to give up some of the best humor in the book in the interest of educating hikers and showing responsible behavior. The scene does have some fun banter with Nolte, but it doesn't rival how they could have played the original.

As a result, there will be a lot less unburied poo, fewer contaminated water sources, and less illness along the A.T. than there might have been if they didn't choose to take the high road here.

2) The hikers encounter a snowstorm after starting with trees in full leaf-out. This is often the shocking reality in spring anywhere when you start at low elevation and hike up to higher elevations. I hope all future northbound thru-hikers who are starting in March take note.

3) Robert Redford does a PSA for Leave No Trace on the Appalachian Trail. Posted on ATC's YouTube channel yesterday: Robert Redford's Call to Action: Help Protect the Appalachian Trail.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC
    Last edited by Lauriep; 09-03-2015 at 09:44.

++ New Posts ++