After living out West for about 6 years, I recently moved home (Connecticut) as I prepare to shift gears into a new career. I miss being able to disappear into the slot canyons of Southern Utah or summit some random peak in the Uintas or Wasatch Range, but I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised by the New England Trail.

I live within a few minutes of the Southern terminus in Guilford and have spent a good chunk of time walking on this trail. It's pretty damn good hiking. It reminds me of the AT (primarily the PA/NJ/NY/CT/MA portions). The trail is well maintained, but incredibly quiet. I've been spending my weekends trying to regain my trail legs and have been really impressed.

I would love to do a thru-hike at some point, but haven't found a window of time.

Outside of the Highline Trail in Utah, I'd say the New England Trail is one of the better trails in the country that gets very little publicity. Maybe that's a good thing?

If you want to do a test run for an AT thru-hike, the NET may be a nice little trek. The sections I have done are nowhere near as rugged as the Long Trail, but the scenery is really nice. I'm surprised by the quietness of the trail, for being in some of the more densely populated wooded areas in the country.

Worth checkin out, IMO.