I don't think I still have any of the hiking boots that I bought and used in the mid-1970's thru early 80's. I'm not sure what brands were popular, but I do remember them being heavy, leather, high-topped boots. I also remember carrying plenty of moleskin.

Although I don't have any of those old boots, I do have some that I've had a long time that I think are somewhat similar. In the picture below, I show several different boots that I own. On the far left, are my Asolo TP 520 GV's. These are the boots that I use mostly nowadays. Next to them is a pair of Chippewa's that I've had for over 30 years. They are awesome boots. I think I bought them mainly for work, when I was working as a carpenter in New England in the 1980's. Next to them is a pair that I have had for well over 20 years. Can't find a name on them. They are lighter than the Chippewa's, but comfortable. Next to them is a pair of Merrill Moabs. I bought these when I got a shin splint about 3 years ago hiking, because my doctors told me to get "better footwear." As you can see, they haven't been used much, because I promptly manage to tear an Achilles tendon while hiking with them. That's when I got the Asolo's (and green Superfeet). In the front is a pair of NB 965's - I was wearing these when I got the shin splint.

So I think the "old school" hiking boots were more like the Chippewa's than any of the others - heavy, leather, high-topped, with big heavy soles. I wore boots like that hiking from Springer north on the AT about 100 miles, through the Whites on the AZT, in the Colorado and Canadian Rockies, and all through Nantahala and Pisgah many times, among other places. When I started hiking again a few years ago, I found that boots had changed a lot (as has everything else). I love all the new, light gear. It helps my old self to be able to hike more. But I can't quite get my head around the new footwear. Everyone seems to wear "trail runners." You can't even find real high-topped hiking boots. The Asolo's were the closest thing I could find, and as you can see, they are much lower than the old boots there.

I've read seemingly endless "debates", and lots of people seem to say that high-topped, firm, heavy boots do not really protect against injury. My experience seems to suggest otherwise. But I'm not a doctor (although I've seen several about these issues).

My question is, why do you think we've moved away from high-topped hiking boots? And what is your opinion and your experience with various boots, including as it might relate to injuries or the avoidance thereof.

Thanks.

IMG_0517[1].jpg