I am about to purchase a Tarptent Double Rainbow (and a quilt). I see that the Tarptent's website claims that the tent is 50 inches wide. I would like to know whether this has been the experience of people actually using the tent i.e. is it really 50 inches wide?

Part of my questioning follows an experience at REI this afternoon:
They had on display a REI Quarter Dome 2 Tent which is supposedly 54" wide at the head and 44" wide at the foot. Inside the display-tent, there were two REI Regular size Air Rail 1.5 sleeping pads which are supposedly 23" wide each. Therefore, there should be ample room on both sides of the two mats at the head with over 8 inches of spare room. Now the problem is that the two sleeping pads were both touching the side-wall of the tent... I did not have a ruler but my conclusion is that the tent is not 54" wide at the head as advertised but probably a tad smaller.

So. Given that my partner and I both have a 23" wide sleeping pad, will it be touching the side walls of a Double Rainbow tarptent or will there be at least some clearance on the sides, nominally 2" on each side. (50-23*2)/2

Also, related to this:
Would you suggest using the Weather Resistant stripes on Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilts?
In case the Tartent Double Rainbow width is not exactly 50 inches as specified, I might end up touching the sidewalls more often than I wish which may be problematic with a single wall tent.

Any insights appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Minos