Hey all,

I've got my base weight to about 12lb 4oz (including rain gear that I don't always bring all of and smartwool top/bottom that I usually wear part of).

I'm wondering what people's opinions, thoughts, and experiences have been re: zpacks style food sack and the ursack minor.

Obviously the tradeoffs are weight, security from critters, and actually having to hang a bearbag.

I do most of my backpacking in the midwest (~80%) and have done a couple sections of the AT, RMNP (where we rented a canister), and GCNP (where we previously rented an outsack). Critters are way more of a concern in my backpacking world than bears. Right now, I'm just using a stuff sack with drawstring filled with ziplock bags (no loose food), and a paracord to hang; luckily haven't had any issues but am considering moving to something that's a little more "intentional" in its purpose (for lack of a better phrase).

That being said. I don't love hanging bear/critter bags, but I'm not awful at it.

Like I said, ultimately, it's gonna come down to weight vs convenience.

What did you decide for your kit and why? Did you pick one and switch over to the other?

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this particular question..