WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default CT Hike in AUGUST 2020

Good day everyone:

I'm planning on hiking the C.T (all or most) this August, 2020. This is a trail that I had planned a few years back but drought,
    fire, and some personal issues got in the way. This August, calendar wise, looks good for me.

What I would like is some logistical assistance. I have purchased the CT Data book and (though I don't like screens on the trail)
    may consider using the/an APP. What else do I need to know logistically - especially in light of the Covid-19 deal. I understand that
    some stores, hostels, etc. will be closed but hoping I can scrape up re-supplies "ok". What else?

I don't particularly need advice on "backpacking" unless there is something very specific about the CT that I wouldn't otherwise take it along or think of it. I have completed one A.T. Thru Hike and have "re-hiked" right at 1400 miles a second time. I have also hiked the Long Trail, BMT, and others.

Logistics would include: Should I go NE-SW or SW-NE? I do know that it is a bit more of a strenuous pull out of Durango vs starting in the East. I run about 50 miles a week and spend a lot of time in the woods - I know that's not true "trail legs" but mine are mostly good to go. Aside from that, any pros or cons? Guessing the "standard" is DE-DU - kind of like being a North-bounder? I understand that Waterton Canyon Park is closed so, if I start in the NE, I'll use the Indian Creek Trail to 'Lenny's Bench" (and make up the missed 7 miles later)? Are there any other big swaths of the trail closed or that I should be concerned about. How's the water situation. I can plan on some long dry carry sections but hoping it is at least "decent." I skied this year and the snow was pretty good, so, I'm guessing so? Do y'all think re-suppluy by shopping alone? That's my typical M.O. - any need to mail-drop or bounce anything? Maybe in light of Covd.? Do we think the Data Book's re-supply points would be "mostly good?"
    Oh, One (cool) different thing about my plan is that I plan to fly my own airplane from GA to Colorado. I can fly into Centennial Airport (KAPA) which is only about 35 miles from the Indian Creek start or I could fly direct to Durango (KDRO). There are also a few small airports roughly in line with the trail's routing. Maybe some lucky hiker gets an airplane shuttle back to the start.
    Thanks for your responses everyone.

Papa D
    Last edited by Papa D; 06-27-2020 at 15:41.

++ New Posts ++