I have used alcohol stoves (thanks zelph) for a while now. I really like liquid fuel stoves. I feel like there is less waste and its very easy to tell how much fuel I have. No more 1/4 full (or is it 3/4 empty?) err partial gas canisters rolling around the gear closet. I recently went on a single overnight with a friend and our youngsters. We planned to do some backcountry cooking! We made Philly cheesesteaks! Since I knew I was cooking I lugged my MSR Dragonfly. I love that stove but its really heavy and the spacing on the pot stand won't fit my solo gear, not to mention it is kind of overkill for boiling water.

Anyhow I started doing some stove research, is there a lighter weight version of the Dragonfly??? Turns out there is! Years ago MSR made a stove called the Simmerlight, seems like it has been replaced with the Whisperlight now. It also seems like the Whisperlight has its issues, most notably its tricky to get it to simmer.

I tracked down an old used Simmerlight and I am going to give it a go for a few weekend trips.

It got me wondering, How do thru hikers resupply liquid fuel? Alcohol is probably easy, get a new bottle of HEAT (yellow only). How do people with camp fuel/white gas stove resupply? I usually only see it sold by the gallon.

sidebar, Do you have any Simmerlight related tips? I am assuming operationally its similar to my Dragonfly; squirt fuel into little base cup, light to warm stove, then adjust flame. I know there were issues with the older MSR pumps but I don't remember what it was. How do I ID my pump to make sure its safe?