Reviewer Name: climber404
Height: 6'
Weight: 175lbs
Experience: Currently gearing up for a 2008 GA/ME trip. I've done bits and pieces of the AT for the last 6 years.

Similar Products Used: I've used pump systems and iodine tablets.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weight: 3.5oz
Weight (as tested): 5oz (with salt)
Price: $129
Manufacturer: MSR.
Manufacturer web address: http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/miox.asp
Phone Number:
E-mail address:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Construction, Design, or Initial Impression:
I have to say the product is deceiving. When you see it in a box or on the internet, you assume it's flimsy and cheap. Not so for the Miox. It's tough and sturdy. I've dropped it, kicked it, stepped on it and have had no problems. It really is lightweight. I wanted this because I'd heard it was lightweight and works well. It exceeded my expectations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initial Tests:
The first thing I did was to "purify" my house water. The "setup" (which involves putting salt into the purifier) was easy and quick. After the 15~20 minute wait period, the water still taster fine. I'm not going to lie, it does leave a slightly metallic/chemical taste in the water. It takes some getting used to, but once you're past it, it's a great purifier.
Trail Test:
The Miox worked great. It's amazing how light it really is. The initial kit comes with enough salt treatments and battery life for ~200 liters of water. You simply fill up the ol' Nalgene, put a bit of water into the Miox, press a button 4 times, dump the water into the Nalgene and wait a bit. No more pumping, no more cleaning the filters. Granted you have to be one with nature as it is not a filter.
Conclusions/Recommendations:
I would recommend the Miox to anyone looking for lightweight, reliable water purification. This is a strudy piece that fits anywhere. Onec yo uget past the taste, it's a great way to go.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------