Hello fellow classmates of '08. My name is Hobo Joe, and for the past 4 years I have been attempting to do a thru-hike with little or no money. Since my first attempt in '04 I have met some amazing people on the trail, along with a few disrespectful folks. It is very important to remember to leave the AT and shelters just as you found them. Pack it in pack it out.
It is not OK to leave: trash, food, cigarette buts, or anything (besides gear that someone will definitely take, and footprints). in or around the shelters, fire pits, road-crossings etc.
I personally feel that when a hiker balls up a snickers wrapper or flicks a filtered cigarette butt into the fire ring at a shelter they are completely disrespecting every hiker and the trail itself. Burning paper trash in a fire pit is acceptable as long as it is taken care of; expecting someone else to come along and burn your trash for you is not! Unless your momma is hiking along behind you.
I know many of you believe the same thing I do, but I ask of you please do not hesitate to tell someone else that there trash is ruining your wilderness experience. When you get to a shelter that is trashed, pack some of that trash out, you'll never notice the weight and it will make trail beautiful for the next folks who come through. Let's bring a little love to 2000 & Hate (2008).
Am I way out of line here????