I hike a lot, all over the place. I've seen many scout groups out there, probably a couple dozen, and not once have I been positively impressed.

I've seen Scout groups hacking live trees to pieces with hatchets, camping on sensitive riparian land in the desert, camping directly at the mouth of a flash-flood prone slot canyon during the monsoon season, leaving toilet paper unburied, etc. I've come across entire groups on the wrong trail miles from where they wanted to be (they asked me for directions). Entire groups dressed in cotton clothing with no rain protection for their packs IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST. Entire groups with no sun-protective clothing or hats, and carrying a 16 oz. bottled water apiece IN GRAND CANYON and many more examples of general ignorance, or much worse.

I realize not everyone can, or wants to afford high-end backpacking gear, but this is no excuse for going out with totally inappropriate equipment, into areas which exceed your backcountry skills, for not even trying to leave no trace, or for putting yourself (and potential rescuers) into danger by being completely uninformed to the specific hazards of your chosen hike.

I don't think I've ever seen a more reliably unprepared, clueless lot in the outdoors, period. Is this indicative of the entire Scout organization these days? Do they teach these kids any real skills at all anymore? To what extent are the troop leaders at fault? If you're involved in the Scout organization, why do you think the stuff I describe occurs, and how might Scouts be better educated for the outdoors?