WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

my walkers will hike for 100 hrs straight if you let them. apt name.

P1060634b.jpgP1060638b.jpg
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Great Dane? Couldn't be a worse choice. Their hearts are not meant to take that kind of work out. And I have 2 of them.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    Great Dane? Couldn't be a worse choice. Their hearts are not meant to take that kind of work out. And I have 2 of them.
    huh? who mentioned great danes?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    huh? who mentioned great danes?
    C Seeker. On page 1. My bad.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Standard Poodle. Wonderful companion on and off trail.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Aussies are great hiking dogs if trained well.

I have a rescued boxer/pitbull mix. She can go and go and go. Love taking her out and she obviously loves it too. Before she was fixed the first 10 miles she literally would be running in circles around me, I had never seen so much energy, lol.

Images

I was thinking about getting a Husky and German Sheppard mix? If you kept it shaved in the summer does anyone know how they would do on a long hike?

Journal Entries
    Images

Try to avoid dogs with long hair... or buy two.....three vacuum's & anti shed vitamins
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    Aussies are great hiking dogs if trained well.
    Luckily they take to training quite easily if they don't downright demand it. Ask me how I know....
    ClickChik
    Dog training and caching along the trail in the Swamps of NE Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    I was thinking about getting a Husky and German Sheppard mix? If you kept it shaved in the summer does anyone know how they would do on a long hike?
    Generally speaking, shaving a dog is a bad idea. The coat insulates from heat as well as cold, and provides protection from the sun.

Journal Entries
    Images

black hair dogs are also at risk in hot and humid areas.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    Speaking generally, I wouldn't recommend either of those breeds to inexperienced dog owners, or someone looking for an average dog as a pet.

Huskies are extremely primitive, hard to train, have a very high prey drive, have an instinctual need to wander and will often escape the yard, need heavy daily mental and physical exercise and often begin to destroy furniture or display other negative habits when kept inside and not exercised, etc. To the right person they're a wonderful dog, but they're not for the average family.

German shepherd dogs are absolutely awesome animals, but are simply too much dog for most people. They are obedient and highly protective, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for one on the trail. As a protective dog, putting them in a situation they are uncomfortable with, such as hiking and constantly meeting unfamiliar people can setup a risky situation where they are more likely to bite. Unless you are an experienced owner who has the time and knowledge to invest in a GSD, I would recommend looking for a less demanding dog.

Also, just a warning, I know that my homeowners insurance company didn't allow ownership of most protective breeds and would drop my policy if I got a GSD or any other schutzhund breed, my local shelter is full of protective breed dogs that had to be given up by their owners because of landlord or homeowner insurance problems.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Ive had plenty of labs, spanials, shepherds and mutts over the years. My current dog is a female husky. She has an endless reserve of energy and a very alert presence in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    my walkers will hike for 100 hrs straight if you let them. apt name.

P1060634b.jpgP1060638b.jpg
    Pretty pup, you're right ain't no two legged person going to out walk a hound.

If I were getting a dog specifically for long distance hiking I'd probably get a Rhodesian Ridgeback, extreme endurance, good guard dog, if they can hunt lions and stay alive a bear would be a whiz.

Quote Originally Posted by mykl View Post
    If you're talking about Australian Cattle Dogs, yea, love em. Just lost my 16 year old last summer. Great, great, moody, growly dog. Miss him and his attitude. He was great with people, but had to be boss around other dogs. Herding and snapping at them, not to hurt them, just to let them know what he's about. Tennis balls were his best friend. You could throw one as hard and fast as you can at his face from 3 feet away, and he caught it.
    He was originally my fiances, and when she lived at home, she would come home to find her little sister and the 3 cats all in a corner with the dog guarding them and not letting them move. Poor girl was stuck for three hours sometimes crying for someone to get home. He just felt she and the cats were safe there lol. Love and miss that dog.

I'd probably pick a heeler for a trail dog as well. I had a heeler/australian shepherd mix who I could walk among ducks and geese without a leash. he would leave them alone until I told him he could get 'em. He was about 40 lbs, so he would have been light on food, but was extremely tough.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    If I were getting a dog specifically for long distance hiking I'd probably get a Rhodesian Ridgeback, extreme endurance, good guard dog, if they can hunt lions and stay alive a bear would be a whiz.
    Ridgebacks were used to hunt lions, but rarely all stated alive. They used a dozen or more ridgebacks at a time that would corner a lion and keep it at bag until the human hunters caught up to make the kill, unfortunately it was normal for a dog or two to be killed in the process, which is why this hunting method wasn't actually that common.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Standard Poodle. Wonderful companion on and off trail.
    I'd love to see a Doberdoodle....anyone ever see one?

I have a blue heeler and a red heeler, and they are terrific trail-hounds. Did an overnighter at Red River Gorge last month, and it was uncomfortably hot.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++